This topic has not been added to any channels. This will make it hard for users to find. Type relevant channels into the Add Channel box to add them.

Craigieburn And Surrounds

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 7th Oct 5:13pm

So, I'm planning a riding trip to Craigieburn for my 40th.
Four riders, three or four days, keen to nab the goodies.

What tracks are must ride? Which are worth skipping? (if any)

Bestest, Worstest, and Mediumest rankings appreciated.
Very keen to get out on the tops, we're not scared of some hike a bike in service of a good time...

We'll be there late Jan / early Feb.

Cheers y'all.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Re: Craigieburn And Surrounds

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 7th Oct 5:46pm

Pedal up the Craigieburn ski field access road, ride Edge and Luge.

Drive up Cheeseman ski field road and shuttle Cokanye Alley and Cuckoo creek

Thanks for reminding me that I need to ride there too.
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 7th Oct 6:07pm

Where are you staying?
You could start off easy with Hogs Back to/from Castle Hill village.
Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 17 years 3 months

Postby AgrAde on Mon 7th Oct 8:23pm

edge/luge/drac/hogs is a good run. Separate into edge/luge loop and drac/hogs if not fit enough.
-edge: 9/10, traversey singletrack across scree. worth experiencing for the exposure. Track is fun.
-luge: 9/10, roots roots roots. Excellent descent.
-drac: 7/10, mountain biking. up and down the hills. Really fun.
-hogs: 7/10, less interesting overall IMO but has some really unique bits.

cheeseman access road gives access to the following routes, from the highest down:
-Cockayne alley (Cheesy DH): 8/10, generally steep descent with some pinch climbs.
-Cheesus of Nazareth into lower Cuckoo: 9/10, cheesus is steep, awkward rowdy, technical, off camber, very difficult corners. Very hard to find the entry. Cuckoo is cuckoo.
-K-line: 8/10, fun descent with some steep bits. As of last summer it hadn't been thrashed and still felt fresh. A pain to shuttle due to its exit (middle of drac).
-Cuckoo: 8/10, not too steep, tight in places, rowdy if you're going fast. Less of a pain to shuttle but still a bit of a pedal out at the bottom.

A variation on the edge/luge loop is to drop in from camp saddle, down the scree slope to meet the top of edge. More of a hike-a-bike and into the tops. Much better views. You need to be happy to bomb a scree slope, obviously. Takes it to a 10/10 loop.

Mint Lyndon is not an obvious route. 1/10 climb (bike on back, trudge up steep as fuck hill for 1hr+) and from the top, the trailhead isn't obvious. 10/10 views, 8/10 track. Worthwhile if you're fit both tramping fit and bike fit, might be an issue if you're not. Have had people turn back on this one.

There's some routes around Ben More range that are a good punish if you're into hike-a-bike stuff, I won't go into that. The Trig-M track on that range isn't really worth riding.

Porters lodge has food and beers and a wee flow/jump trail. 5/10 just for the trail, but 10/10 worth visiting after a day of riding for the beers.
AgrAde
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 8th Oct 11:29am

Good beta, cheers you two.

Anyone else got a favourite?
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 8th Oct 12:12pm

+1 on the Mt Lindon... less than an hour of actual riding, round trip. (760 m of climb in a 9 km loop, the climb is done in about a km). This has description and MMR tracks (including for Ante-luge, luge and dixons)...

+1 also, Sidle 73, Craigieburn Valley Skifield Road, Edge, Luge, Dixons - can all be done of a morning or an afternoon, car parked at Broken River carpark.

if having left a car at Castle Hill, and leaving a car at Broken River for later collection, then that same route, and climb back up to add Dracophyllum, all the way through to Hogsback then on to Castle Hill. drive a driver back to car at Broken River...

Cheeseman (tracks below the road), if 2 cars, what we did... left one car at bottom (at lodge / icerink turnoff), drove up, parked at Cuckoo entrance, rode further up to K-Line (this may have been closed?), fun down, ending up on Dracophyllum flat, ride back round and exit to icerinks and lodges (instead of all the way to Texas Flat). rode past my car, back up the road to Cuckoo, down this, then back to my car, drive back up for the other car... Same sort of deal for the stuff on the uphill side of the road, tho you've gotta go a fair bit higher to access them. As Agrade says, thems the gnar.. below road stuff: described and mapped in here.... where we also did the Coal Pit Spur track, which we didnt rate... (tho, one of the funnest fricking fast descents into the valley to start (from CVS road...)
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby DogsBollocks on Tue 8th Oct 1:25pm

The climb up to Cockayne isn't that bad if shuttling isn't an option. Relatively sedate up until the last switchback if that's your sorta thing. Any shuttles to avoid SH73 are advisable. Other than that listen to Switchy and AgrAde. They are most wise.
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 8th Oct 3:01pm

Nice.
We'll have one vehicle, so minimal shuttles likely.

I'm not sure if I'm (we're) up for bombing a scree slope, never having had the opportunity before... I guess we could ride edge first to get a look at it?
Velocipedestrian

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 9th Oct 2:48pm

one car kinda wrecks doing the full luge-dracophyllum-hogsback run, unless you like riding the highway (yuck).

but, sidle73-CVSroad-edge-luge-dixons loop give you only about 1km on SH73 back to the carpark.

And, bottom of K-Line (defunct??) spits you out quite a ways back on Dracophyllum Flat.
map here, shows roughly where K-line is (was?), and you can see how the Draco track starts up on the road, you'll only miss that downhill to the creek, then the climb out, to the point where k-line joins.
Capture.JPG

Also shown, Dixons...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby AgrAde on Wed 9th Oct 5:43pm

I forgot about Dixons :lol:

4/10, crap top bit before it gets into some brief fun singletrack and the bottom is built on an area that just doesn't drain. So it's always either wet or fucked. Makes for an acceptable addition to a loop though. I never bother riding it.

K-Line was pirate and under the radar, now it's pirate and on the radar so may be closed. I know work is planned to divert around a couple steep sections and to avoid a big armored power cable to make the trail official. My personal opinion is that the track is safe and you're not going to further damage the environment by riding it at the moment. Which is from the perspective of someone who has worked with that sort of cable before, and who very much disagrees with some other building that has taken place in the area.

Flick me a PM closer to the time, if you're interested I can potentially bring along a truck and some local knowledge for some shuttles etc.
AgrAde

Postby AgrAde on Wed 9th Oct 5:59pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:Nice.
We'll have one vehicle, so minimal shuttles likely.

I'm not sure if I'm (we're) up for bombing a scree slope, never having had the opportunity before... I guess we could ride edge first to get a look at it?

It's scary looking down from the top if you've never done it before and it's slightly difficult to get rolling. Once you're dropped in it halves in scariness. There's a small section on edge track which is maybe 5 metres of descent straight down a scree slope, but not as steep. If you ride that even marginally okay then you'll drop in from the top no worries. Takes about 5m of descent to figure out that you're perfectly able to stop, 40m of descent to figure out how to ride it, and a bit more than that to start looking ahead properly and start carving some turns. If you pick up some speed be sure to scrub it off by the time the scree runs out :lol:
AgrAde

- Latest Posts