Rocky Mountain Restoration Dead Frame

Postby Mosey on Thu 3rd Oct 5:43pm

Hi

I bought a 90s Rocky Mountain Summit to restore
The bits are all good, bearings rough as, but i've mostly fixed them up
I just discovered that the chainstay has rust holes in it so the frame is trash
It's a bit of a shame as I never even got to ride it but the project has been fun anyway
It's got 7 speed XT on it, a bunch of ritchey parts etc and i've bought all the consumable cables, brakes etc
Does anyone have a nice large or xl 26" rigid frame they would part with that i can put it all on?
it'd be a shame to go nowhere with this

Cheers

IMG_4889 (Custom).JPG

IMG_4861 (Custom).JPG

1090524401.jpg

IMG_4746 (Custom).JPG
Mosey
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Re: Rocky Mountain Restoration Dead Frame

Postby swtchbckr on Fri 4th Oct 9:08am

potentially i could maybe be persuaded to part with a circa 1991 Marin Muirwoods frame. she was my first mtnbike, served mountain bike duties from 93 to about 98, then used as a commuter from then til the early 00s, and has been hanging around in my garage(s) since... BB is still in it, square taper, and still spins smoothly (i think, been a while since i turned her over, haha). seatpost with it too. oh, and has a lot of interesting mid-90s stickers all over it too.

not sure what the value of such a priceless family gem is...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Rik on Fri 4th Oct 11:04am

I'm no frame builder, but can't that be patched or replaced?

Or is it the case that it is un-economic to continue with the frame?
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby Mosey on Fri 4th Oct 5:52pm

swtchbckr wrote:potentially i could maybe be persuaded to part with a circa 1991 Marin Muirwoods frame. she was my first mtnbike, served mountain bike duties from 93 to about 98, then used as a commuter from then til the early 00s, and has been hanging around in my garage(s) since... BB is still in it, square taper, and still spins smoothly (i think, been a while since i turned her over, haha). seatpost with it too. oh, and has a lot of interesting mid-90s stickers all over it too.

how about a box of beers and knowing it will be ridden once again : )
are you in Auckland?
can you post a photo?
I could do some cash your way too
Mosey

Postby Mosey on Fri 4th Oct 5:59pm

Rik wrote:I'm no frame builder, but can't that be patched or replaced?

Or is it the case that it is un-economic to continue with the frame?

I think it rusted from the inside out so it's hard to know how bad the damage is.
I'm thinking about it though.
Either, nuke the inside with rust inhibitor, spray rust converter primer on the outside and give it a bit of paint and hope for the best.
Or do that and get someone to shoot some tig or mig wire in it
Getting a new chainstay welded in is doable even but probably not worth it.

I think i'd be more keen if i had a sentimental attachment to the frame but I haven't even ridden it yet.
And i'd be more keen just to chance it if i was the only one riding the bike, but i'll end up letting different people borrow it and I don't want to have to say for them to check it for frame cracks each time.

I dunno
Mosey

Postby Mosey on Sun 6th Oct 2:36pm

nevermind actually
a local shop said they'd weld it
Mosey

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 8th Oct 12:13pm

Mosey wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:potentially i could maybe be persuaded to part with a circa 1991 Marin Muirwoods frame. she was my first mtnbike, served mountain bike duties from 93 to about 98, then used as a commuter from then til the early 00s, and has been hanging around in my garage(s) since... BB is still in it, square taper, and still spins smoothly (i think, been a while since i turned her over, haha). seatpost with it too. oh, and has a lot of interesting mid-90s stickers all over it too.

how about a box of beers and knowing it will be ridden once again : )
are you in Auckland?
can you post a photo?
I could do some cash your way too

only just spotted this... I'll chuck a photo on when i get home. Alas, i'm in Churchur.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Cycling - Latest Posts