Looking For Tips - Holidaying And Potential Move, South Nz

Postby linus on Fri 23rd Aug 7:09pm

Good evening!

I'm Swedish, married to a Kiwi, and coming to NZ for holidays this Christmas. We're also considering moving to NZ for a year to see how we like life over there.

If we're moving again, we'd like to live in a place that's a bit more exciting than the flat landscape of the Swedish west coast. I want to make sure that I've got great singletrack trails near home (cycling distance, so I don't have to waste time with car transport just to get to the trail). Even better if there is a mix of natural and built trails with drops and stuff. We also want to be in a good location for weekend hiking trips, but happy to spend a couple of hours driving there. Nearby snowboarding would also be a great bonus, and generally I want to be able to spend as much time as possible in the mountains, but we don't necessarily have to live in the mountains.

We've got family and friends Christchurch and in the bay of plenty, and access to a bach near Rotorua. I think we'd be more likely to choose to live in the South island, partly for the climate, as I'd expect it gets less sweaty :-)

If you were picking a dream place to live purely based on mtb and other outdoor activities, where would it be? If you also wanted to be within an hour of Christchurch? Also need a school for our kids, currently 8 and 10.

My wife has looked at Oxford as one of the potentials. The area around Nelson looks beatiful, but obviously not around the corner from Chch.

Obviously, I expect it'll be some kind of compromise, and I'm not expecting to find a bike park / ski restort next to an international airport :)

We're spending 6 weeks in NZ for Christmas, so will try to look around, and do a bit of biking and hiking. Will definitely have check out some Rotorua trails when we stay in the bach, and then we'll travel down by car/tent to stay with my brother in law in Chch.

Any good riding around Tauranga & Kati kati?

Any thoughts about bike rental/buying? We're not travelling via the US, so bringing my bike on the plane is likely to be too expensive. Rental is an option, but maybe I'm better off just buying a bike in the BOP when we first arrive, and selling it before flying home via Chch. Looks like there's a decent selection on Trademe.
linus
Member for: 2 months 4 weeks

Re: Looking For Tips - Holidaying And Potential Move, South Nz

Postby AgrAde on Sat 24th Aug 2:06pm

Going by what you want, Christchurch is hard to pass up. Nelson is amazing. I'm considering moving there myself but it's expensive, harder to find work (in my field, anyway) and doesn't have access to skiing like Canterbury does.

Christchurch is cheap enough to buy/rent that it doesn't make a lot of sense to live near it (Oxford etc) instead of in it, and it doesn't feel like a big city. And Christchurch is the only place near here where there's a massive, awesome trail network within riding distance. And the riding within 2h drive of here is both plentiful and amazing.
AgrAde
Member for: 15 years 11 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 27th Aug 4:49pm

AgrAde wrote:Going by what you want, Christchurch is hard to pass up. Nelson is amazing. I'm considering moving there myself but it's expensive, harder to find work (in my field, anyway) and doesn't have access to skiing like Canterbury does.

Christchurch is cheap enough to buy/rent that it doesn't make a lot of sense to live near it (Oxford etc) instead of in it, and it doesn't feel like a big city. And Christchurch is the only place near here where there's a massive, awesome trail network within riding distance. And the riding within 2h drive of here is both plentiful and amazing.

What he says.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Wed 28th Aug 12:12pm

linus wrote:Good evening!

If you were picking a dream place to live purely based on mtb and other outdoor activities, where would it be? If you also wanted to be within an hour of Christchurch? Also need a school for our kids, currently 8 and 10.

Last time I bothered looking, there was ok outdoor activities in Queenstown / Wanaka and the odd school. You might more at home there than in the flatbadlands of Canterbury.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 28th Aug 5:07pm

BrokenKonaRider wrote:
linus wrote:Good evening!

Last time I bothered looking, there was ok outdoor activities in Queenstown / Wanaka and the odd school. You might more at home there than in the flatbadlands of Canterbury.

The riding within riding distance isn't huge in Wanaka, and the whole area is an expensive resort bubble.
I did enjoy living there though.

Definitely more than an hour to chch.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 13 years 1 month

Postby Philthy on Thu 29th Aug 8:31pm

I'm not expecting to find a bike park / ski resort next to an international airport

Queenstown?

Chch is pretty good for trails within riding distance, and is centrally located to a lot of awesome outdoor stuff but is kind of a shit hole. We moved down to Dunedin and love the friendliness and lifestyle (but not the weather). Good place to bring up kids, and I have 4 good MTB areas within 20 mins ride
Philthy
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby philstar on Fri 30th Aug 9:12pm

linus wrote: I think we'd be more likely to choose to live in the South island, partly for the climate, as I'd expect it gets less sweaty :-)

I would not describe the north island particularly more sweatier than the south, northwesters in CHCH can be hot in summer. google says 1-5 deg diff on average depending on where you are comparing
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Fri 30th Aug 10:16pm

Wellington? International airport, good trails in easy riding distance...
No snow, no lifts, no Christchurch but.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."

Postby AgrAde on Fri 30th Aug 11:16pm

philstar wrote:
linus wrote: I think we'd be more likely to choose to live in the South island, partly for the climate, as I'd expect it gets less sweaty :-)

I would not describe the north island particularly more sweatier than the south, northwesters in CHCH can be hot in summer. google says 1-5 deg diff on average depending on where you are comparing

The north island in general is muggier than the south. 30C in Christchurch is fine. 30C in Hamilton is worse than death.
AgrAde

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 31st Aug 8:57am

30° is unheard of in Wellington. So is 0°.
Velocipedestrian

Postby Conners on Sat 31st Aug 2:28pm

Velocipedestrian wrote:30° is unheard of in Wellington. So is 0°.

Frost last week suggests otherwise. But yes, very rare.
Conners
User avatarMedal
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 16 years 4 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 31st Aug 7:39pm

Conners wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:30° is unheard of in Wellington. So is 0°.

Frost last week suggests otherwise. But yes, very rare.

Yeah, OK. That made the trip to preschool super slow, shows how much of a novelty it was.
Velocipedestrian

Postby AgrAde on Sun 1st Sep 9:34am

Yeah it's hard to have a hot or a frozen day in Wellington when the rainfall is over double Christchurch. And generally traveling sideways.

:p
AgrAde

Postby philstar on Tue 3rd Sep 6:44pm

AgrAde wrote:Yeah it's hard to have a hot or a frozen day in Wellington when the rainfall is over double Christchurch. And generally traveling sideways.
:p

the weather is always good in wellington, sometimes its a good storm.

Auckland in generally just meh most of the time.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 3rd Sep 10:16pm

Yeah nah I like Wellington a lot. It's a proper city, and enclosed, which I don't like. But it has a lot of riding spattered around the hills and the vibe is good for sure. Doesn't have the wide open freedom that Canterbury has, which is something I definitely require.
AgrAde

Regions - Latest Posts