yay or nay

Yay Keep the track
100%
Nay restore the hill
No votes

Total voters : 2

New Te Mata Peak Track, Yay Or Nay?

Postby KieranC on Sun 24/Dec/17 8:45am

Yes it would have been nice for the public to have their say about the track on the S/E face of Te Mata Peak.

But the Hawkes Bay isn't exactly rich in walking and biking trails which are close to the main towns, so when private land is opened up to the public for recreation this is surely positive for the community.

I'm quite sad that because of the uproar from locals the current solution is to remove the track and restore the hill to its original slope. What if they were prepared to wait until grass grows over the sluffs of the track building process?

Hopefully the NZ trail solutions team that made it has a year of prebooked work which means they won't be able to get back there to revert the trail for a while. :blush:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/100147 ... -mata-peak

https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/995 ... rt-surgery
KieranC
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Re: New Te Mata Peak Track, Yay Or Nay?

Postby mudguard on Sun 24/Dec/17 3:59pm

If people wanted to be pedantic it was probably covered in bush a thousand years ago.
I will admit, I always think the road up the Remarkables in Queenstown looks awful.

There's also a road on the top, and maybe farm tracks to the south that criss cross the landscape a bit too. I'm biased towards mountainbike trails, plus if they own the land, what's to stop them from putting a vehicle road there at some point if they wanted?
mudguard
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Re: New Te Mata Peak Track, Yay Or Nay?

Postby beater32 on Sun 24/Dec/17 7:26pm

looking at it it's more of a walking track and probably something as a local I won't ride. But yeah, they could at least give it a chance to settle and grow over. Eskdale is just as convenient as going to the Peak, with a lot more options. Typically it's the lazy shits that sit on the couch that do the moaning, the active types will be all for it. Though it is a bit in no man's land on that side.
beater32
Member for: 5 years 6 months

Cycling - Latest Posts