Which New Bike??

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 18/Dec/17 10:25pm

Opinions sought.

Rocky Pipeline 770??
What do people think of the 27.5+ wheel format for general trail use?
Any bad reviews of Rockys in general??

I'm thinking it should be quite fun. But will it suck, climbing?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Re: Which New Bike??

Postby AgrAde on Tue 19/Dec/17 5:42am

Have some plus tire generalisations:

Slower riders like them, and faster riders hate them.
Riders that absorb trail features like them, and riders that generate speed from features hate them.
Riders that set their suspension up to use the majority of their travel on surface roughness like them, and riders that compromise bump absorption to be able to load their bike up more (corners, g-outs, pumping terrain, jumps) hate them.
Riders that are perfectly happy on lightweight casing tires like them, riders that find themselves using dual ply or enduro casings for their trail bike hate them.

There was quite a good pinkbike (I think?) article where two people rode the same plus bike when they were first becoming a thing. One thought it was the bees knees and the other hated every minute of it, and it was pretty much due to the above.
I know a few people that have had them, loved them for the first month or two and then started hating and went back to a standard bike. Good grip and good at low speeds but they do weird shit when you load them up, which some people don't really do until they spend time on the bike and get comfortable but by then it's too late. So see if you can test one and try fang it as hard as you'd fang it.

Good for technical climbing on rough and loose stuff.
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby matnz on Tue 19/Dec/17 10:02am

Sounds like I would love one :blush:
matnz
Member for: 2 years 8 months

Postby AgrAde on Fri 22/Dec/17 10:44pm

Ain't nothing wrong with being light on the bike. Plenty of dudes more technically skilled and/or faster than me that fit the bill for plus bikes. Not my jam though.
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 1 month

Postby swtchbckr on Monday 4:30pm

so, your friends that went off them after a few weeks, did they get rid of the whole bike, or did they just fit smaller tires?

the ones i'm been looking at only seem to have 35-40 mm rims, so that with a 2.4 / 2.5 / 2.6 tire would be fine. or would this mess with the geometry too much?

further. Any one running 2.6s? on what size rims??
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Postby jo on Monday 5:05pm

I wasnt round when this post came up first time round.

I've got a Tallboy with 27.5+ tyres on arc40 rims. I was moderately sure I'd swap em out for 29er wheels/tyres for the summer. Theres a wee "flip chip" in the suspension link that makes it easy, though technically I'm meant to put a 120mm fork on (instead of the 130mm fork).
I didnt, and I dont really have any desire to. I'm sure the 29er wheels/tyres are lighter - but being able to "monsta-truck" the terrain is alot of fun. :D
Just to buck the generalisations - I love a bike that pumps well. This one will take off (literally) given half the opportunity and its certainly no light weight (alloy).
:love: the monsta-truck action.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby jo on Monday 5:07pm

:)
DSC_0850sml.jpg
<3 monsta-truck

It has a dropper now tho.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Complete Bikes | Cycling | MTB Full Suspension Bikes - Latest Posts