Lezyne Laser Rear Light?

Postby UK_Exile on Wed 29/Nov/17 10:19am

Any thoughts on these rear lights? Wondering if I should add it to my santa list...........

https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/collecti ... with-laser
UK_Exile
Member for: 12 years 10 months

Re: Lezyne Laser Rear Light?

Postby dwgknz on Wed 29/Nov/17 10:24am

I also just got the GE email and was looking at this.
dwgknz
Member for: 5 years 1 month

Postby UK_Exile on Wed 29/Nov/17 10:41am

dwgknz wrote:I also just got the GE email and was looking at this.

Gimmic or useful ? I'm commuting to Chch CBD to Prebbleton so 90% separated bike path but the little bits from end of motorway to Prebbleton are high risk night and day. have been tempted to ride Springs Rd but have been using the longer (and road worked) official cycle route via Halswel Junction, Shands, Marsh, Rail Trail.
UK_Exile

Postby danose on Wed 29/Nov/17 1:56pm

UK_Exile wrote:
dwgknz wrote:I also just got the GE email and was looking at this.

Gimmic or useful ? I'm commuting to Chch CBD to Prebbleton so 90% separated bike path but the little bits from end of motorway to Prebbleton are high risk night and day. have been tempted to ride Springs Rd but have been using the longer (and road worked) official cycle route via Halswel Junction, Shands, Marsh, Rail Trail.

not sure about the lasers - will only really be visible when it's pitch black.

As far as daylight visible lights go I've been using a set of See.Sense Icon+ for about 5 months and love them - they're adaptive and smart (have internal motion sensors and light sensors, so adapt intensity and flash rate to depending on what you're doing an oncoming cars headlights : https://seesense.cc/ ). No forgetting to turn them on/off - and usually do about 3-4 weeks (commuting about 1hr a day) between charges

the dedicated cycleway along the motorway is great, then it's hopeless from there to prebbleton - looking forward to the motorway and over-bridges being complete and the new cycle lanes linking to prebbleton being completed ( https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/project ... m2-map.pdf )
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby UK_Exile on Wed 29/Nov/17 2:15pm

Will look at the icon+. It's connectivity seems a bit gimmicky to me as I ride to get away from stuff. No GPS and no strava here!

Yep, also very much looking forward to the cycle trail upgrades that happen due to motorway extension. The existing motorway part is great for safe and fast commuting (I've opposite thoughts on the low speed separated cycle stuff in the city!) Guessing the cycleway will be end of motorway project activity. Doesn't seem to be motorway timeline posted anywhere. Wish is it was early in project as the many business entrances along Halswel Junction & Shands aren't great. I can see why some riders take their chances on Springs Rd. not too bad in evneings if after 6pm though, just a bit slow as lot of brake, look, cross, speed up, etc
UK_Exile

Postby oldandlazy on Wed 29/Nov/17 2:21pm

I've tried a couple of cheapy DX laser lights over the years and I like the idea for subtle persuasion of motorists. The problem with all of them is that the lines paint about a handlebar-width wide, and I'd prefer a metre or so from centreline. Not sure if these specific ones would be different or not.

I ended up putting tape over the left laser and mounting crooked to get my 1m wide line. It did seem to help with car passing distance in the dark on my commute from Porirua into Wellington.
oldandlazy
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby danose on Wed 29/Nov/17 2:24pm

UK_Exile wrote:Will look at the icon+. It's connectivity seems a bit gimmicky to me as I ride to get away from stuff. No GPS and no strava here!

I only ever connect to it via bluetooth to set power/flash patterns (which annoyingly get reset to defaults when you charge it). All the other stuff is gimmicky indeed....
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby UK_Exile on Thu 29th Mar 8:44am

I've just ordered an Icon+ from Merlin cycles. Everywhere has been out of stock for a long time and they just got them back in. NZ$113 so very good price too as other stores waqnting $145 - $190
Hoping its as good as the reviews say.
https://www.merlincycles.com/seesense-i ... 01630.html

https://seesense.cc/ have a new version coming out called the Ace. Lighter and lower cost so quite attractive. Can pre order them now but I couldn't wait until July for one
UK_Exile

Postby fatass on Tue 3rd Apr 2:04pm

I cycled to work once about a week ago and haven't since. Partly because of my fitness level but mostly because my commute is on a very busy Great South Road in Auckland and I didn't feel particularly well lit. I wish they'd make daylight savings 2 hours, because 1 hour doesn't really help for the mornings.

Anyway, the ICON's extra features like theft warning does seem gimmicky and made me lose interest, so I've just ordered the Lezyne Laser Rear. Eager to see how that works.
fatass
Member for: 1 month 2 weeks

Postby UK_Exile on Tue 3rd Apr 3:16pm

I agree all the ICONs feature are glimmicky and I won't use them. Chose it because of high IP rating, battery life and that its optimised for daytime use too. Everything I read about the Lezyne said the side lasers useless in daytime. Hoping I made the right choice, as you will be too!
UK_Exile

Postby fatass on Sun 8th Apr 9:19am

Here are my thoughts on the Lezyne with a little video if anyone's interested.

http://fatasscyclist.co.nz/2018/04/07/improving-visibility-while-commuting/
fatass
Member for: 1 month 2 weeks

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 9th Apr 12:34pm

Those side lasers do look quite useless. By the time they're seen by a motorist coming from behind it's too late for them to change their passing distance. Shame as the flash looks nice and bright. Quite a slow flash pattern. It's adjustable?

My Icon+ arrived today and feck me is it bright. Even sitting on my brightly lit office desk it far far too bright to look directly at, even fully side on. Directly from rear at close proximity its retina burning. I hope the intelligent stuff in it dims it a bit so it does not annoy motorists and evoke a dangerous intentional near miss pass manoeuvre
UK_Exile

Cycling | Cycling Accessories | Cycling Lights - Latest Posts