Light Weight Bike Bags

Postby mudguard on Sun 5th Nov 8:47pm

So my annual use of my bike bag has me on excess baggage tenterhooks as per usual. My bike weighs exactly 13kg, however the actual bike bag is 10kg.
I bought it used from a friend of a friend and each time I've had to remove some parts, IE pedals and rotors, just to squeeze under the 23kg weight limit. Obviously it's quite sturdy, and looking online, the likes of a Ground Effect Tardis is pretty cheap, but 1.8kg? That seems extremely light, unless it's a typo, and looks like it relies on the wheels to provide protection (which is fine).

Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd really like to stuff the backpack, helmet etc in as well (which I have room for in the current one, just not the weight!)
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Re: Light Weight Bike Bags

Postby jo on Sun 5th Nov 10:37pm

A cardboard bike box is a couple of kg (cannae remember exactly how many) - might be a middle ground between weight and protection?

The tardis is around that (I can get mine out and weigh it tomorrow if you like). You could definitely stuff backpack and shoes etc, but I probably wouldnt put a helmet in for the squish factor. Yes it relies on the wheels for protection, but I do use sheets of bedroll (closed cell foam) between wheels/frame/wheels for protection.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby mudguard on Mon 6th Nov 9:03pm

jo wrote:A cardboard bike box is a couple of kg (cannae remember exactly how many) - might be a middle ground between weight and protection?

The tardis is around that (I can get mine out and weigh it tomorrow if you like). You could definitely stuff backpack and shoes etc, but I probably wouldnt put a helmet in for the squish factor. Yes it relies on the wheels for protection, but I do use sheets of bedroll (closed cell foam) between wheels/frame/wheels for protection.

I like the second option. A box is a PIA, they're usually a fraction too big to fit in my car (back seat of a sedan) and then awkward to get around. I like the idea of a purpose built bag. And I rechecked the website, the weight is correct, so that leaves plenty of room for padding and chucking in the backpack etc.
mudguard

Postby Conners on Mon 6th Nov 9:37pm

+1 for the Tardis.
I’ve only used mine on half a dozen trips, but I’ve never had an issue.
I like that I can squeeze bag/shoes/helmet it there. And versatile in that it fits easily into most cars (back seat is a breeze, and also fits easily in the boot of a Corolla hatch).

I use closed cell foam pipe insulation around fork legs (air out and lowered) for protection, along with a q-spear bungees in strategic places to hold bars in place during packing.

Tardis comes with some dropout spacers too which come in handy and take away some of the fears of bike squashage. Not sure if they do boost spacing these days but they’re just some short lengths of plastic/pvc pipe anyway.
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby jo on Mon 6th Nov 10:07pm

I've cut bits of wood in the past to use as hub spacers.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Rik on Tue 7th Nov 8:42am

jo wrote:I've cut bits of wood in the past to use as hub spacers.

Get yey down to your LBS and snaffle a few of the plastic spacers that new bikes come with

I'm another +1 on the tardis

https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products/tardis-compact-bike-bag
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Bags | Bike Cases | Cycling | Cycling Accessories - Latest Posts