Strava Heat Maps.

Postby Rik on Thu 2/Nov/17 11:23am

This has been posted before, but it's still freaking cool. Besides, they've just updated the data.

https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#2.19/4 ... 8/hot/ride
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Re: Strava Heat Maps.

Postby WH on Thu 2/Nov/17 1:25pm

Agreed, it's excellent stuff.

Still, there's clearly some bollix data still getting through despite their clever algorithms. With it set to 'cycling', check out any waterway near a boat ramp and you'll see tons of routes which must from all those aquabikes out there. And it seems that loads of people ride all the walking tracks on Mauao despite bikes being banned, and you more or less never see anyone on bikes there, bar the odd kid (even that's a rarity).
WH

Postby Conners on Thu 2/Nov/17 10:20pm

WH wrote:Agreed, it's excellent stuff.

Still, there's clearly some bollix data still getting through despite their clever algorithms. With it set to 'cycling', check out any waterway near a boat ramp and you'll see tons of routes which must from all those aquabikes out there. And it seems that loads of people ride all the walking tracks on Mauao despite bikes being banned, and you more or less never see anyone on bikes there, bar the odd kid (even that's a rarity).

Or people have selected ride instead of run? (I know my default setting is ride, and it’s easy
to just hit go without changing it)
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby AgrAde on Thu 2/Nov/17 10:34pm

A little while back my strava decided my rides would be all sorts of weird shit. Walks, runs, kayaks, etc. I assume that's why there's some weird data. It seems to have fixed itself now.

I love the heat map. Great for finding things you know are somewhere but not quite sure exactly where the entrance is.
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 10 months

dwgknz
Member for: 5 years 7 months

Postby Rik on Mon 29th Jan 12:55pm

We all (Stravatards) should be worried. Heat maps ignore EVERYONES Privacy zones. I can work out which is my house and the house of every other keen cyclist in my neighbourhood (or any neighbourhood). You can almost work out whereabouts on the section the bikes live aswell.

Nice one Strava :satan:
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby dwgknz on Mon 29th Jan 2:33pm

You just need a Garmin.

Mine usually takes about 300m to sync with satellites.
dwgknz
Member for: 5 years 7 months

Postby Rik on Mon 29th Jan 2:38pm

dwgknz wrote:You just need a Garmin.

Mine usually takes about 300m to sync with satellites.

I do, but I suspect most of my heat trails are the tail end of the ride when I forget to press stop.
Rik

Postby Kev on Mon 29th Jan 8:04pm

It is cool but that's not always a good thing...
engadget wrote:Strava fitness tracking data reveals details of secret bases.
UCA analyst Nathan Ruser has discovered that Strava's publicly available activity map includes the fitness routes of soldiers and agents in sensitive locations, including American bases in Afghanistan and Syria, the UK's Mount Pleasant airbase in the Falkland Islands, a suspected CIA base in Somalia and even Area 51. It's mostly American and British troops who show up, but Russian bases have also been outlined by the Strava data.
https://www.engadget.com/2018/01/28/str ... ret-bases/

I found my own "secret base" I was looking for trails in my area and spotted a hotspot of strange loops:
https://labs.strava.com/heatmap/#15.68/ ... 5/hot/ride
After a bit of google maps sleuthing I realised I had discovered "Manzanita Park BMX Club"
Kev
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Postby mudguard on Tue 30th Jan 9:34pm

Rik wrote:

We all (Stravatards) should be worried. Heat maps ignore EVERYONES Privacy zones. I can work out which is my house and the house of every other keen cyclist in my neighbourhood (or any neighbourhood). You can almost work out whereabouts on the section the bikes live aswell.

Nice one Strava :satan:

I guess you could just avoid it by turning it on several hundred metres away from home...
mudguard
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 30th Jan 10:31pm

mudguard wrote:I guess you could just avoid it by turning it on several hundred metres away from home...

Yeah... I actually do this.
Velocipedestrian
"Now bicycles were never made for pale green pants to ride 'em. Especially spooky pale green pants with nobody inside 'em."
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Cycling - Latest Posts