Help With Fork Selection

Postby Hemp on Thu 11th May 8:03pm

Howdy,

I'm looking for a good value suspension fork to put on a 29er SS mountain bike. As I ride mostly on moderate terrain on this bike it doesn't need to be anything amazing. I've narrowed the search down to two options being the 100mm Rockshox Recon Silver RL and the Manitou Marvel TS Air Remote Suspension Fork. I can get both for a similar price (The Rockshox looks to be about $50 cheaper) so my preference is to buy the best fork.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Hemp
Hemp
Member for: 2 years 9 months

Re: Help With Fork Selection

Postby Dougal on Thu 11th May 9:47pm

The Manitou has a better chassis, better damper, longer service intervals and better ride.

The Recon would need to be the RCT3 version for it to even be considered. But even then the Marvel is better.

Full disclosure: NZ Manitou agent.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Thu 11th May 10:23pm

Bahahahaha.

Though he is correct.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Slow_XC on Fri 12th May 6:12pm

I take in you have looked at the x fusion Slide?

I have one on my SS and its mint
Slow_XC
Member for: 6 years 3 months

Postby Dougal on Sun 14th May 4:45pm

Slow_XC wrote:I take in you have looked at the x fusion Slide?

I have one on my SS and its mint

Better than RS motion control forks.
Dougal

Postby Hemp on Sun 14th May 9:45pm

Ok, sounds like the manitou or x-fusion is a better option. I don't know anything about x-fusion so I'll have to do some homework on that one. Feel free o give me your thoughts if you have used either fork.

Cheers,

Hemp
Hemp
Member for: 2 years 9 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 15th May 7:50am

Check out the options from Suntour too, the $:performance is really improving.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby dwgknz on Mon 15th May 11:26am

Dougal wrote:The Manitou has a better chassis, better damper, longer service intervals and better ride.

The Recon would need to be the RCT3 version for it to even be considered. But even then the Marvel is better.

Full disclosure: NZ Manitou agent.

This

I have a Revelation that came with my new bike last year. It came with as a RL and it was horrible, I changed it out to a RCT3 and it's ridable now.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Postby el_booto on Mon 15th May 12:32pm

Hemp wrote:Ok, sounds like the manitou or x-fusion is a better option. I don't know anything about x-fusion so I'll have to do some homework on that one. Feel free o give me your thoughts if you have used either fork.

Cheers,

Hemp

i would go manitou because theres a solid parts and support agent here
XF have limited support here, so there is potentially a lead time on parts if something goes wrong.
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Clintnz on Tue 16th May 12:19pm

Maybe more $$ than your budget but I bought a set of Rockshox Reba 100mm for my 29er last month & they've been good. I was quite limited for options as I needed a straight steerer.

Actually got them to go on my SIR9 SS but as we were about to head south for a couple of weeks with the bikes when I got them I chucked them on my Giant Talon hardtail & put a few 100 km on them over a variety of trails. Need to get them on the Niner now as that's what I mostly ride at home.

Cheers
Clint
Clintnz
Member for: 7 months 0 weeks

Postby Dougal on Tue 16th May 1:44pm

Clintnz wrote:Maybe more $$ than your budget but I bought a set of Rockshox Reba 100mm for my 29er last month & they've been good. I was quite limited for options as I needed a straight steerer.

No problem to do a Manitou 29" with straight steerer.
Dougal

Cycling - Latest Posts