This topic has not been added to any channels. This will make it hard for users to find. Type relevant channels into the Add Channel box to add them.

How To Remove Seals From Shimano Bb

Postby cep32 on Sun 7th May 2:13pm

Hi, on my old bike (2011 Trance) I could pick the seals out of the bottom bracket and repack the bearings with grease. I managed to keep the one set of bearings going for 5 years with a 3 monthly repack. On my new bike (2017 Trek Fuel EX) the bottom bracket is higher spec (XT) but I can't work out to remove the seals. I have them exposed with the dust cover removed.

Has anyone managed to remove the seals successfully? If so, any tips?

Cheers,
Chris
cep32
Member for: 6 years 9 months

Re: How To Remove Seals From Shimano Bb

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sun 7th May 2:48pm

Not quite the answer it sounds like you're after, but Enduro make tools to press out and replace the bearings...

I've had a decent amount of service out of going halves with a mate on one.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby woofdog on Mon 8th May 7:45am

I use a Stanley knife pushed into the rubber near the seal OD, then flick the seal out. It's a bit fiddly but seems to work OK.
I put a couple of ml of engine oil in just before fitting the cranks. The oil seems to stay in there OK. I haven't had to replace bearings for years.
woofdog
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby cep32 on Mon 8th May 8:09am

I was able to do that with the seals on my old bike but the ones on the XT bb in the new bike seem to be tucked well inside the OD of the bb shell. Once I've decided to replace the bb I'll have a play and be a bit more brutal.
cep32

Postby Dougal on Mon 8th May 4:18pm

The old shimano bearings were one side sealed. So flick out the cap and it was exposed. Now they're better sealed which means they last longer but can't be easily regreased.

woofdog wrote:I use a Stanley knife pushed into the rubber near the seal OD, then flick the seal out. It's a bit fiddly but seems to work OK.
I put a couple of ml of engine oil in just before fitting the cranks. The oil seems to stay in there OK. I haven't had to replace bearings for years.

Go from the inside edge. The inside is a rubber lip you can slip the blade under. The outer edge is a tighter fit into the bearing case and is harder to not damage.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby cep32 on Mon 8th May 4:31pm

I'll give it a crack tonight. I figure it doesn't make sense to replace the bearings just before the Heaphy.
cep32

- Latest Posts