What would you say the bulk of you riding is?

I'm a skidding, dirt-slashing, back-flipping, jump-building vagabond
15%
I couldn't pull a skid if I tried, too busy enjoying the scenery.
62%
I don't actually ride, I only come here for the kittens.
23%

Total voters : 26

Talkback Tuesday: Does Mtb Have An Identity Crisis?

Postby Rik on Tue 28th Mar 10:23am

I read this interesting article on the disparity between the media portrayal of us, and the reality of the actual riding we do.

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/trail ... ts-us-all/

So the first question is, to get some stats on the actual type of riding we do, because I have no idea about the type of riding of a typical vorbii.

Now I'm firmly in the 'I enjoy riding through the scenery' camp, but this is largely because I lack the skill to jump, skid or slash a turn, but even if a could I still think I'd rather get out there and enjoy it rather than go large everywhere. but I may be in the minority?
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Re: Talkback Tuesday: Does Mtb Have An Identity Crisis?

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 28th Mar 11:05am

Most sports have a significant disconnect between the marketed version and the participated version.

This is how advertising works.

My bike(s) are much more capable than I am, but I like it. It means that I wuss out before the bike reaches its limits.
No one to blame for the lack of steez but me.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 0 months

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Tue 28th Mar 11:38am

Velocipedestrian wrote:My bike(s) are much more capable than I am, but I like it. It means that I wuss out before the bike reaches its limits.
No one to blame for the lack of steez but me.

This is totally me... x100. You could say that my bikes are wasted on me - but I love riding them & have been many places and had adventures that I never would have had without them. I will happily watch in awe as more capable riders shred down stuff I am too scared to walk down & celebrate those who can ride up goat tracks... or the superhuman types that do the GRD or IPWR.

I notice that mtb riding in general has jumped up a notch in terms of skill/gnar - and I haven't moved with it :blush:
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 28th Mar 11:47am

Scaredy_Cat wrote:I notice that mtb riding in general has jumped up a notch in terms of skill/gnar - and I haven't moved with it :blush:

And this is me +1.
Velocipedestrian

Postby philstar on Tue 28th Mar 3:39pm

perhaps it is somewhere inbetween, i like riding in nice scenery, but also like to challenge my (limited) skills.

I seem to remember Tama (i think) wrote a piece a while back about riding in the heal of the curve, better then most but no where near as good as the people who are good. I like to think i am somewhere in that heal
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 28th Mar 5:07pm

I remember that - wasn't it the knee?
Anyway, yes. Most of us in the cycling enthusiast camp will be in the knee, a large number of less skilled participants below, but a smaller number of much more skilled riders above.
Velocipedestrian

Postby mudguard on Tue 28th Mar 9:34pm

I don't know where I sit with this. The only reason I don't ride the same trails with the enthusiasm I had ten years ago is mainly because I ride on my own a lot now. I never rode particularly large jumps to begin with, I can't even think what size, that one at the bottom of Signal Hill in Dunedin was probably the longest, but not technically a very difficult jump, the old creek one some 100m above it I found much more difficult technically.
I'm probably over-biked as well, 170mm but on the other hand it means I can ride whatever I want, I'm not stopped from doing a certain trail because I'm on a short travel XC bike or whatever.
On Strava I'm slow as fuck. I realise that I shouldn't look at KOM/QOMS so I mainly look at people I ride with or know. I'm trying to think the last time I genuinely felt out of my depth, rode Taniwha in Rotorua with no front brake, thought I might die. First lap of one ot the Queenstown Super D's where it was greasy as, (the first wave essentially finished the trail build), and maybe my last lap when I was too tired to hang on or brake.
I don't think I could ride Four Forty's Pear Shaped in the wet.
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 28th Mar 10:14pm

No option for both? I'm definitely both, depending on time and place.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 28th Mar 10:44pm

AgrAde wrote:No option for both? I'm definitely both, depending on time and place.

Scenery + kittens?
Velocipedestrian

Postby Conners on Tue 28th Mar 11:34pm

Definitely remember Tama's knee of the curve article, and totally relate to it.
Agree with Velo on perception and marketing- you see that all over the place (how many surfers and snowboarders operate at the level we see their poster boys operating at?)

I am definitely riding my favourite trails faster now than I was 6-7 years ago (based on helmet cam footage from then compared to strava times now - and both done on the exact same bike). But my faster isn't involving more air time, and I still get sketched out at some of the same stuff that I did back then. It's more about hitting rough sections harder and letting the bike do it's job.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Rik on Wed 29th Mar 9:09am

AgrAde wrote:No option for both? I'm definitely both, depending on time and place.

Come on Agr, you're got to get of that fence. If the equation became n=1 and you had to choose a bike which one would it be?
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 29th Mar 9:55am

Rik wrote:

Come on Agr, you're got to get of that fence. If the equation became n=1 and you had to choose a bike which one would it be?

That's why trail riders buy #enduro bikes.
Ride the same tracks, and keep the dreams alive.
Velocipedestrian

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Wed 29th Mar 10:03am

I'm both/all, in that I ride for the company and scenery, crash a lot, and look fast
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Rik on Wed 29th Mar 12:24pm

I guess for the purposes of this discussion, I guess it comes down to whether you think the media portrayal is relevant to you and your riding.

If you can't decide, just vote kittens. I really only care about the ratio of option 1 vs option 2.
Rik

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 29th Mar 1:30pm

Rik wrote:I guess for the purposes of this discussion, I guess it comes down to whether you think the media portrayal is relevant to you and your riding.

If you can't decide, just vote kittens. I really only care about the ratio of option 1 vs option 2.

Yes, but.
There's a big space between your option 1 & 2. I don't really ride for scenery, but jumps are small, backflips non-existent, and skids are bad for trails.

Option for a preference for steep technical tracks? That's my bag (and excuse for owning such a capable bike).
Velocipedestrian

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts