Beginner Road Cycling

Postby cambridge5861 on Thu 16th Mar 1:57pm

Hello!
I'm looking to up my game with the road cycle. Can you advise of groups that teach for bunch riding ? I'm good fitness wise so don't mind the miles. Just want to get a handle on bunch stuff and start riding with others maybe a night after work and weekend in chch Thanks : :)
cambridge5861
Member for: 9 months 0 weeks

Re: Beginner Road Cycling

Postby UK_Exile on Thu 16th Mar 2:17pm

Complete Performance run bunch riding lessons from time to time. They're good too. Google & you'll find the bunch riding education video they produced
UK_Exile
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby EoinC on Fri 17th Mar 9:55am

Good on you for giving it a go, and for having a respectful approach for learning to ride in a bunch.

Enjoy!
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 3 months

Postby Claude on Fri 17th Mar 8:49pm

Cruise around the bottom of the hills (Cashmere Road, Old Tap Road) any weekend in the morning and you're bound to find a bunch you could "ghost" up behind into. Strike up a conversation and you'll find most people are pretty friendly, and you never know - you might be able to make it a regular thing. Just hang in with them and you'll work out how they work in the bunch.
There's a bunch that goes out from Cycle Surgery on Saturdays too - go into the shop and ask DK for details.
We're almost finished the season out at Leeston on Thursday nights, but always welcome newbies. Plenty of older heads at all levels to help get used to bunch riding in a race situation. Something to store away for next season perhaps.
Good luck!
Claude
Member for: 8 years 7 months

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 20th Mar 12:26pm

Here's the video I mentioned. It's good simple clearly explained advice. If everyone followed this it'd prevent a lot of bunch near misses and accidents
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0HtuuKTmsQ
UK_Exile
Member for: 12 years 5 months

Postby doogee on Fri 24th Mar 6:47pm

Also the Homebase Sunday bunch ride "Weekend Warriors" group is really noob-friendly. https://www.facebook.com/groups/182377788490839/
doogee
Member for: 3 years 1 month

Postby daver on Wed 31st May 11:55pm

I can say that good physical condition is very important for cycling. I started cycling a few months ago and that was really hard task for me in the first few weeks. I was in bad shape at that time and decided to start attending the gym. At first it was difficult for me to find good gym 'coz I work all day and can go to the gym only in evening or night time, but then my friend recommended me this 24/7 gym at http://www.tomfit.co.nz/personal-trainers-north-shore/ near me. I can take private lessons with professional trainer there and get some personalized program for my workouts. Both options are great for me. Now I'm in good shape so I can advise you to take private lessons additionally to be in really good physical condition before road cycling.
Last edited by daver on Fri 2nd Jun 10:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
daver
Member for: 6 months 2 weeks

Postby nagem on Thu 1st Jun 8:42pm

blimmin heck :o
nagem
"Some days gnawing through the leather straps just doesn't seem worthwhile."
Member for: 8 years 9 months

Postby EoinC on Fri 2nd Jun 8:08am

nagem wrote:blimmin heck :o

Cor blimey!