This topic has not been added to any channels. This will make it hard for users to find. Type relevant channels into the Add Channel box to add them.

15mm To 9mm Thru Axle Conversion?

Postby Greyway on Tue 7th Mar 11:47am

Bought a set of Eason Heist wheels for my 2011 Spec Epic. Website states can convert from 15mm to 9mm with conversion kit supplied. But that is for a 5mm QR not a 9mm thru axle as I have found out. Your suggestions please
Greyway
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Re: 15mm To 9mm Thru Axle Conversion?

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 7th Mar 12:25pm

Use the normal QR.
Should fit the same dropouts (unless you have a funky special ed fork)
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Dougal on Tue 7th Mar 1:20pm

Either use a normal qr skewer or drill out the endcaps to 9mm.

My experience with 9mm skewers has been bad. 5mm works better.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby Greyway on Tue 7th Mar 1:30pm

Dougal wrote:Either use a normal qr skewer or drill out the endcaps to 9mm.

Interesting. I thought the 9mm would be stronger/stiffer. Have since found this > http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTB-Tools-Mount ... 1374805174
Greyway
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Postby Dougal on Tue 7th Mar 2:19pm

Greyway wrote:
Dougal wrote:Either use a normal qr skewer or drill out the endcaps to 9mm.

Interesting. I thought the 9mm would be stronger/stiffer. Have since found this > http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTB-Tools-Mount ... 1374805174

The stronger/stiffer is the problem. It's not stronger/stiffer in a useful way. The 9mm skewer can't stretch like a spring to maintain tension. So it's very fine adjustment and any wiggle or movement and it loses that adjustment and the wheel shifts.
The other problem is the end-cap can't self-align to clamp the dropout properly so it moves and shifts more easily.

I've made the 15mm-QR adapters for a long time. But I don't make QR-9mm because the 9mm system is rubbish. When I rode a 9mm skewer I made up a dummy axle to convert it back to 5mm so I could run a normal skewer. It was the only way to stop the disc brake pushing the front axle out.

Well there was another way. It involved tightening up the lever so much it needed an additional lever to get the thing undone.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 7 months

- Latest Posts