Christchurch Adventure Park – No Fly Zone For Drones

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Thu 23rd Feb 8:57am

The Christchurch Adventure Park remains in the hands of Civil Defence. Fire remains active within the Park and the Park is unsafe for staff or any member of the public to enter. The risk of fire, tree and rock fall hazards are extremely high. The Park is a no fly zone for drones.

Christchurch Adventure Park spokesperson Anne Newman says putting out the fires in a safe manner remains the priority. “Yesterday, three times, helicopters tackling the fire were grounded due to drones over the park. This is incredibly concerning and frustrating as it is prolonging the fire containment efforts and jeopardizing the safety of the pilots. I know people want to see what has happened but it is seriously jeopardizing the work of the fire services.”

“While we were extremely fortunate for the fire to have been contained ahead of the village and our base station we do know that there is significant damage to the lift and the rest of the park. We are unable to assess the extent of the damage or how long it will take until the fires are out” says Newman.

The Christchurch Adventure Park is set in 900 acres of land on the Port Hills known as the Cashmere Forest and will be closed until further notice.
3029.jpg
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Re: Christchurch Adventure Park – No Fly Zone For Drones

Postby Rik on Thu 23rd Feb 9:01am

Now which single celled moron(s) thought it was a good idea to fly a drone into the active airspace of a military controlled zone? And after we've already had one pilot fatality :eh:
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 23rd Feb 9:31am

they need to shoot the fuckers down. Bloody hard to go find where the dickheads are flying them from, so if you shot them down all their asspensive equipment falls to the ground in a heap. army could do some live fire training...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby lubie on Thu 23rd Feb 10:43am

This is terrible!
swtchbckr wrote:they need to shoot the fuckers down.

Agreed! Or train some eagles, like the French are. Not all together a terrible idea as falconry is alive and well in NZ and already used prolifically in the wine industry.
eagles-vs-drones.jpg
lubie
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby neels on Thu 23rd Feb 2:21pm

You'd think it was pretty obvious that flying a drone in an area where helicopters are operating is a bad idea.

Drones should indeed be fair game for the 12 gauge, would be most excellent sport, much better than clay targets.
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 23rd Feb 4:52pm

neels wrote:Drones should indeed be fair game for the 12 gauge, would be most excellent sport, much better than clay targets.

as well as this (and off topic), i think Jetskis should be fair game with sniper rifles...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 23rd Feb 5:06pm

swtchbckr wrote:
neels wrote:Drones should indeed be fair game for the 12 gauge, would be most excellent sport, much better than clay targets.

as well as this (and off topic), i think Jetskis should be fair game with sniper rifles...

Ah yes, the cyclists of the sea

oh wait
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Thu 23rd Feb 5:28pm

Wobbler wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:

oh wait

I think you're thinking of stand-up paddle boards
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 23rd Feb 5:33pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:
Wobbler wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:

oh wait

I think you're thinking of stand-up paddle boards

you mean punts?
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | News - Latest Posts