This topic has not been added to any channels. This will make it hard for users to find. Type relevant channels into the Add Channel box to add them.

Is There Any Path Up In The Bike Industry?

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Sat 14th Jan 9:50pm

My main bike mech and friend is a long time bike mech.

He's very good :)

He's very capable of running the shop (having owned his own shop).

At times the manager gets him to do some none tools work - ordering, sales etc and he does fine (apparently!).

He'd really like to do more of that.

Is there a way 'up' in the bike world?
How does that normally work?

Is it likely that sales and mechanic staff move to managing etc or are like business people more likely to be brought in at management level?
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: Is There Any Path Up In The Bike Industry?

Postby AgrAde on Sat 14th Jan 10:38pm

Bikes are usually too shit of an industry for business people to focus on, unless they have an interest in it. If he has owned his own shop he is possibly capable of running one, if he knows what he's doing then he might get management roles but there's no money in it. IMO there's no way "up" from a bike shop.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Kyle on Sun 15th Jan 11:19am

It took me about a year to go from bike builder to managing a shop with a slight detour through wrenching full time through a combination of being a world champion ass hole and the people above me going "fuck this I'm going home". It took much less time to say "fuck this I'm going home". Depending on what he wants he really has 2 options, either go it on his own and run his own shop or join a big player (bike barn or torpedo7 having the most room at the top) and get promoted by a combination of aptitude and outlasting everyone else. Picking up some relevant qualifications in business management type stuff wouldn't hurt but the industry seems much more reliant on references (from within the industry) and skills than a bunch of useless letters tacked after your name.
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Mon 16th Jan 6:36pm

Thanks guys for your thoughts :)

I know he'd really like to get off the tools and not just be milked for his good workmanship.
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

- Latest Posts