Fork Set-up Questions

Postby cep32 on Sat 14th Jan 7:51pm

I have a Lyrik on my new Fuel EX 29. Up until now I've found it super sensitive over small bumps and very hard to bottom out which has been great. Lately though it has started to feel a bit harsh and I've been struggling to do longer desents without getting sore arms (particularly elbows). The sag is set up at around 30% with 4 tokens. I have a theory but it's just that so figured someone will be able to suggest changes.

I think there is two things going on:
1. As more people get out and ride in summer, the trails are getting deeper braking bumps. The 4 tokens are making the force needed to compress the fork ramp up too much for the 'new' larger small bumps.
2. The bike has changed my riding heaps (first time I've had one that fits properly) so I'm riding a whole lot faster and not going round as much. Again the 4 tokens are stopping the fork from being sensitive enough deeper in the stroke.

Does any of this seem reasonable? I'm 110kg and 6'8" tall so figured the 4 tokens would be a good start but is it work removing one to see if I can get the fork to be a bit more supple? I'm guessing it will make it less sensitive to the really small bumps.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Chris
cep32
Member for: 6 years 9 months

Re: Fork Set-up Questions

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 14th Jan 8:06pm

Try 2 fewer tokens (because bracketing) and 20-25% sag.
It will be less plush off the top, but won't ramp up so quickly.

Setup is all about picking the compromise that suits you best.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby el_booto on Sat 14th Jan 8:17pm

i'd be inclined to do the two tokens, but keep the 30% sag
how much compression are you running? RC or RCT3 damper?

and how long has it been since either you rolled the bike out of the shop, or it last had the lowers dropped and cleaned/seals regreased
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby cep32 on Sat 14th Jan 8:39pm

Sounds like it's time to open the fork up then.

I'm running the RCT3 damper with 4 clicks of compression dampening up until today when I reduced it to 3. Being so tall and heavy I struggle a bit with brake dive but happy to take recommendations on that side of things too.

I've had the bike for about 4 months and have ridden say 4 hours a week on average. I hadn't really thought too much about how long I've been riding on it. The riding a couple of times a week is new to me.
cep32

Postby el_booto on Sat 14th Jan 9:12pm

removing the lowers and cleaning/regreasing the seals is a relatively simple task, a pot of slickoleum grease and some motorex supergliss bushing lube will be of benefit
available here

i've been putting a couple of drops of the supergliss in the air piston on SA forks for a while now when i do a fork service
makes a noticeable improvement over float fluid/grease
seeing as you're going to take the lowers off, it'll be worth it to drop the air shaft and give it a clean too

i too am tall (same hight as you) but 200kg, i have an air fork on my xc bike, coils on everything else because tuning spring curves to that extent is witchcraft
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 14th Jan 10:05pm

Sounds like they need a service
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby Dougal on Wed 18th Jan 9:33pm

Service first, then drop 2 tokens and increase pressure.

You'll get a lot more midstroke with fewer tokens.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby cep32 on Mon 23rd Jan 4:19pm

Thanks all. Rode on the weekend with 2 tokens. It's going to take a while to get used to less midstroke support but the elbows held up with no pain which is great.

I'll do a lowers service later this week.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Cheers,
Chris
cep32

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Cycling | Forks | Suspension Forks - Latest Posts