Bike Transport Bag Recommendations

Postby adikt on Tue 3rd Jan 2:17pm

Looking for recommendations on best (or more likely, best without bankrupting me) bag to take my bike overseas.

Currently roughly eyeing up:
SCICON Aero Comfort https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/BXBCWN5AM/title/scicon-aero-comfort-mtb-bike-bag-with-wheels
EVOC Bike Travel Bag 280L https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/U4BCCNNTB/title/evoc-bike-travel-bag-280l

Both seem to have pros & cons.

Anyone got any recommendations? I guess around the $5-700ish pricepoint.
adikt
Member for: 2 years 9 months

Re: Bike Transport Bag Recommendations

Postby philstar on Tue 3rd Jan 2:48pm

I like my Tardis from ground effect, it does not offer the same protection but is a lot lighter and packs down a lot smaller

remember the total weight allowance normal 23kg and no single piece exceeding 32kg is normally a hard limit due to OHS

do it all depends on what bike, who you are flying with (Air NZ count a bike a piece of luggage most others will charge extra), and what you are doing

check out this tread too flying-with-bike-t127182.html
Last edited by philstar on Tue 3rd Jan 2:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby adikt on Tue 3rd Jan 2:51pm

philstar wrote:check out this tread too flying-with-bike-t127182.html

Jesus christ I'm shit. That's MY thread :crazy: :rolleyes:

Also, will check out the Tardis.
adikt

Postby adikt on Tue 3rd Jan 3:19pm

Tardis seems a little light on protection. Not sure I trust airlines and/or shipping companies that much
adikt

Postby philstar on Tue 3rd Jan 3:41pm

adikt wrote:Tardis seems a little light on protection. Not sure I trust airlines and/or shipping companies that much

yep but unless you go had case, you don't get much better. depends what you are trying to protect from, crushing (only hard case will stop this), scraping, or impact.
I would use like a cardboard box, wrap the bike in cardboard or other protection and then put it in the bag to keep it all together and for ease of carrying. or cut 4 pieces of cardboard (old bike boxes) to fit the bag; cardboard, wheel cb, frame cb , wheel, cb.
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby NzidaR on Tue 3rd Jan 4:11pm

I've got a pair of EVOC's that get used fairly regularly. Pretty happy with them overall, and they do at least allow you to collapse it down to a somewhat smaller shape between times. If I was buying again I'd look at the Pro Version which has a few nice touches and is about 600g lighter (8kg vs 8.6). Also the Biknd Jetpack seems like it'd be decent.

As others mentioned above it can get quite tight fitting everything in under the 23kg std maximum, I can do it fine with XC bikes but the trail bike doesn't really leave much leeway for shoes/helmets/tools or anything.

EVOC Bike Travel Pro: http://www.evocsports.com/products/bags/bike-travel-bag-pro

BIKND - Jetpack http://biknd.com/en/products/bike-travel-case/jetpack

*Assuming you're wanting this primarily for a mtb.
NzidaR
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby philstar on Tue 3rd Jan 5:12pm

the Inflatable protection is an intriguing idea?
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby adikt on Tue 3rd Jan 9:10pm

I was looking at the BIKND, but didn't mention it, primarily based on price, it's substantially more than than EVOC/SCICON/Tardis kind of bags.

I realise hard cases are the only way to guarantee safety, but they seem to have the downside of being a little less flexible with the sizes of bikes & extra gear you can stow within.
adikt

Postby Philthy on Fri 6th Jan 12:32pm

We use the GE tardis a lot, usually in conjunction with some cardboard (eg bike box). This is often found at the airport so we can ride there and pack the bike at the airport, then assemble at destination, throw cardboard in bin, roll up tardis and shove it in yr backpack then ride away.
Philthy
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby wolffman1 on Fri 6th Jan 5:20pm

Philthy wrote:We use the GE tardis a lot, usually in conjunction with some cardboard (eg bike box). This is often found at the airport so we can ride there and pack the bike at the airport, then assemble at destination, throw cardboard in bin, roll up tardis and shove it in yr backpack then ride away.

Cardboard as extra packing inside the tardis? That seems a good way to go. I've used a tardis once and it certainly wanted a lot of extra padding. I ended up scratching my frame as I could rustle up enough padding at the hotel, ie gym towels
I have a solid case which qantas have damaged twice now and have smashed off two of the 5 catches. The bike inside is still fine but unless you have a massive baggage allowance you are going to get hammered As it weighs 14 kg by itself. It's also a pain trying to get it into a taxi at either end as well. It has wheels and a lifting handle so is pretty easy to get around but I wouldn't get it again
wolffman1
"Maaangooo"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Bike Cases | Cycling | Cycling Accessories - Latest Posts