Logisitics Advice Please - Old Ghost Road From Wellington

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Wed 30/Nov/16 9:47pm

So I have a busy job and a demanding family and trying to work out the options for riding the OGR from Wellington is just too much bother. I'm sure someone has done the thinking for me...

I'm fit enough to ride it in a day, but two would be more fun. I'm time poor so three days would be too long. But the travel... the travel. Ferry, drive somewhere, organise a shuttle, drive, ferry - is that another two days in itself? Perhaps biking out from a second night, spent in one of the end huts to Seddonville, shuttling back to Lyell, driving to Picton and ferrying back is achievable in a day?

Advice welcome. How did you organise your logistics?
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 4 months

Re: Logisitics Advice Please - Old Ghost Road From Wellington

Postby dwgknz on Wed 30/Nov/16 11:22pm

I was talking to a guy the other week and they were looking at hiring a helicopter from Wellington to fly them in then pick them up. His view was it's not that long a flight and they save on ferrys, petrol, accomodation, shuttle and other stuff but more importantly they'd not lose a day or two work each (contractor logic!)

I don't know the OGR but He then started saying he wouldn't even fly to the end just the middle for the ride out!
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Postby jimmi71 on Thu 1/Dec/16 7:20pm

Hey: busy job and family life....I know where you are coming from. For what its worth, I've also been wondering how to do this ride. When I eventually do it, I will do it as a loop. Old Ghost Road then back to Lyall through Denniston. Looks like a wicked loop!
jimmi71
Member for: 2 years 8 months

Postby jo on Thu 1/Dec/16 7:51pm

Yah, we did the OGR via Denniston over 3 days. I think it was a friday arvo ferry, drive through to Murchison

Day 1: Ride OGR Lyell to Stern Valley (9am - 6pm),
Day 2: Ride OGR Stern Valley 8am to Seddonville (lunch) then Charming Creek to Granity 4pm
Day 3: Ride road Granity 5am(!) to Denniston to Lyell (2pm). Then back to Murch for an icecream and a 7pm ferry.

The road ride to Granity to Westport is super easy. But the ride from Westport to Lyell is not pretty. Narrow, windy and steady traffic, much of it trucks or campervans, and no shoulder. It isnt much cheaper to catch the shuttle from Westport instead of Seddonville, but you might be able to pick up a backpacker transport instead of the shuttle which def would be cheaper. I think most of the ex Westport shuttles left at 10ish am, mostly destined for Nelson (via Lyell), not Picton.
No airnz flights into westport any more, and its the bit between Westport and Lyell which is a real drag in time and logistics.
If you like big hills and are pretty good with the nav (and it doesnt piss down and flood the rivers) then Denniston is an option.

Its all quite tricky for the time poor.
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 6 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Thu 1/Dec/16 8:57pm

Thanks all. Interesting ideas. Helicopters are out, sadly.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"

Postby davidg on Fri 2/Dec/16 10:47am

Did it recently with 8 people.

Two of us caught the ferry on Thursday morning with a Hilux ute taking 7 bikes plus people's gear (remaining rider was from Nelson and had a car).

Everyone else flew in on 4pm flight Wgtn to Nelson (if you book early enough it costs the same as a passenger on the ferry but avoids taking a day off work).

Picked up additional car in Nelson then drove a couple of hours to Murchison and stayed the night in cabins at the Riverside Holiday Park @ $25 per person.

Friday morning met the "HikenBike Shuttle" people at the start and they transferred the 2 vehicles to Seddonville ($420 for 2 cars which between 8 of us works out similar to getting a shuttle bus back but gives the advantage of being able to leave as soon as you finish the ride rather than waiting for slower groups to finish before leaving). Taking a single car would be slightly more than half this cost as the 2nd car gets a discount.

First day to Ghost lake hut.

Second day to Specimen Point hut (sandflies galore ........)

Third day to Seddonville (a coupe of hours at a leisurely pace) then back to Nelson to drop people off for their 4 pm flight back to Wgtn and the vehicle caught the 7 pm ferry.

So for most people it only required the taking of one day's annual leave due to the flying part.

In terms of accommodation we booked the external chalets which proved a good idea as the hut living area is extremely small considering the number of beds and there was always at least one group of "rowdys" with the obligatory bottle of whisky and lack of consideration for others who kept going into the night and keept those in the hut awake.
davidg
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Fri 2/Dec/16 11:10pm

Thanks David. That sounds like an excellent plan. Two hut nights to enjoy the surrounds and 'time out', and evening ferry-of-beer back on the last day. Perfect.
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"

Postby DogsBollocks on Mon 5/Dec/16 9:59am

If you are going to stay in Murchison can I suggest meeting the Hikenbike team @ Lyell in the AM then heading straight through to Stern, then out to Seddonville on day 2. Stern has a bigger hut, less bugs and IMO doing it over 3 days could be a bit of a drag timewise. We really took our time, plenty of breaks/photo's etc and while we left Lyell @ 8 and got to Stern @ 4, we certainly weren't moving for all that time and the last 1 1/2 hrs is a great DH to the hut as gravy at the end of the day. We left Stern around 8 again and were sitting at the Rough & Tumble for a beer at about 1.30. That would give you tons of scope for either reyhdration or head out to meet a late sailing.The section from Specimen point to the end is only 17k and probably the "easiest" run of the whole trip and after a good nights rest you could cut that out in just over an hour. We discussed it later and thought days 2 and 3 would be fairly short and o/nighting at Specimen would seem a bit pointless so close to home.

Just my thoughts tho. davidg's plan is a goodies as well :)

Hot tip. If spend a night at the end of the trip, the team at the Seddonville boozer are great. Hot food, cold beer, soft beds but if not spending a night they'll still do you a shower with clean towels etc for a couple of bucks and let you use the bike wash as well. Clean your bike and yourself while they are cooking the whitebait patties. :cool:
DogsBollocks
"Licking my clangers in a backyard near you."
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby Clarky on Mon 12/Dec/16 7:02pm

If you need car shuttles to drop you or your car somewhere - or any other logistical help, simply get in touch with www.bulleradventures.com

They will make it SO EASY for you. :)
Clarky
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Mon 12/Dec/16 7:31pm

Thanks DB and Clarky
BrokenKonaRider
"Pants"

Cycling | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts