Cheers To The Good Motorists

Postby 13daza on Sun 18/Sep/16 9:07pm

I was out for a ride with my nine year old today a good distance out of town in the country .As we were tootling along a narrow road we saw a couple coming the other way about 150m ahead of us Ethan recognised them from earlier in our ride and we were talking about giving them a wave when one of the riders fell heavily (turned out she was an inexperienced rider and had wobbled off the seal then caught her front wheel on the lip of the seal as she tried to get back on the road ) we raced over to render assistance. The next car on the road stopped to make sure everyone was o.k , they had pulled out of their drive a ways up the road and had seen the young lady getting up off the road in their mirror so turned around and came back .
We stopped but didn't need to hang around long as they were being well looked after by the couple in the car. Fortunately it seemed that she was not too badly injured ,the young lady copped a bad dose of road rash on an elbow and knee and a good fright to boot.

I decided to post about this as Ethan commented afterwards that he thought it was really cool that those nice people in the car stopped to help her out .

We ,perhaps jaded, older riders always hear the usual BS about motorists vs cyclists ,I think that in reality the 99% of good considerate drivers never get recognized as we are constantly on the lookout for that nutter thats going to nail us .
In almost every instance where I have been involved in or witnessed another cyclist crashing most passing drivers have stopped to see if help is needed (or to render assistance) I have even had drivers stop to check on me when I have been fixing a puncture.

I guess people being nice and doing the right thing doesn't sell newspapers
13daza
Member for: 6 years 3 months

Re: Cheers To The Good Motorists

Postby Rik on Mon 19/Sep/16 10:44am

13daza wrote:I guess people being nice and doing the right thing doesn't sell newspapers

I had exactly this conversation with my daughter after a driver stopped to let us push our bikes across a school crossing place, much to the annoyance of the Hilux mounted redneck behind her.

I applaud those patient, considerate drivers out there.

Not sure sure if we'll get more clicks by putting this on the front page, but it's the right thing to do. Share the :love:
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Wed 21/Sep/16 5:15pm

Good news above :)

I often wave drivers that give me/us a good amount of clearance when passing etc :thumbsup:
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby jimmi71 on Thu 22/Sep/16 8:48am

FLATULENTFRIEND wrote:Good news above :)

I often wave drivers that give me/us a good amount of clearance when passing etc :thumbsup:

Yup, Im a waver too. I must also say (and I think I have mentioned this before) most Auckland bus drivers are generally really good around cyclists. I read a while ago that during their driver training some bus companies make the drivers ride a bike while a bus passes them to see what its like on a bike. So cheers to most Auckland bus drivers!
jimmi71
Member for: 5 years 2 months

Postby Scaredy_Cat on Thu 22/Sep/16 9:01am

I only commute 1 x week - but have some really nice drivers on our narrow & busy 'country' road. I ride my mtb so can pull over on to gravel/grass verges and often get toots or waves of thanks... and the Horokiwi Quarry trucks working on the Transmission Gully upgrade have been great. Nothing scarier than hearing a big-arse truck behind you on a narrow road - but they've always been patient & waited for a safe spot or until I pull over.
Scaredy_Cat
""RIDER!!!" :-D"
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Cycling | News - Latest Posts