Life Advice

Postby nolzey on Sun 10/Jul/16 10:48pm

Gidday guys, just in a bit of a dilemma and although this is not totally bike related I would really appreciate some wisdom.
I'm a university student and I love cars. I currently drive a skyline and the insurance costs and petrol costs are killing me, plus it's rather in practical to take my bikes around etc as it's a coupe. I'm posting on here cause i'm wondering if I get something practical like a nice station wagon, ute or something to get me through till I've finished studying will I be over the phase of wanting to drive 'fun' cars when I'm a couple years older and more mature etc? It seems so hard to part with but with summer approaching I feel like I need something more practical to get the most of the bike/surfing season. HElP :crazy: :crazy:
nolzey
Member for: 1 year 3 months

Re: Life Advice

Postby Kev on Mon 11/Jul/16 3:51am

You are never going to get "over the phase of wanting to drive 'fun' cars" it's just your priorities change through life.
Just a few years back I traded in my Hilux for an M3 convertible. Driving the V8 with the top down is an absolute hoot but I sure do miss the convenience of being able to literally throw the bicycle in the back of my "ute" and head to the mountains.

If it was me, I would absolutely get the practical car and take every opportunity to use it to get to the best biking/surfing spots

I also recommend reading through http://www.vorb.org.nz/show-your-bike-carrying-wagons-t23771.html
You'll see that there is a huge spectrum of cars here on Vorb. it really doesn't matter what you have. You can have fun in a station wagon and you can use a coupe to carry a bike, if you have to.
Kev
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby swtchbckr on Mon 11/Jul/16 8:06am

you drive a Skyline... wouldn't the wagon of choice therefore be a Stagea??? Get the one with the Skyline motor, or not - they're pretty sweet.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Conners on Mon 11/Jul/16 8:10am

Best of both worlds would have to be a twin turbo Legacy wagon, surely?
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Percy Pig on Mon 11/Jul/16 10:31am

Conners wrote:Best of both worlds would have to be a twin turbo Legacy wagon, surely?

What he said! :thumbsup:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Bigfoot on Mon 11/Jul/16 11:14am

Percy Pig wrote:
Conners wrote:Best of both worlds would have to be a twin turbo Legacy wagon, surely?

Yarr. Woulda been my choice if we had the option... fozzie turbo works pretty well though :)
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"

Postby EoinC on Mon 11/Jul/16 11:40am

Aaaah, the dilemmas of living in the First World.

As an old fart, I recommend the Hit-by-Bus theory. Do what you want today (terms and conditions apply), as tomorrow is an uncertain quantity. If your needs / desires change in the future, rinse and repeat with the new "today".

When / if you become an old fart, you may have few resources left, but you'll have plenty of memories (terms and conditions include but are not limited to Alzheimer's Disease).
EoinC
Member for: 7 years 2 months

Postby AgrAde on Mon 11/Jul/16 11:48am

Sell it immediately. I had a turbo silvia at that point in my life. Kinda silly, got a cheap wagon instead. Practical cars are awesome and it's great not having to worry about bills.

I plan on buying an early 2000s M5 in the future as a second car. Maintenance costs be damned, I'll be able to afford them soon. I'm just hoping that there will still be some nice garaged ones without too many ks on by the time I want to buy. So I can put a whole shitload of ks on myself :thumbsup:
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby philstar on Mon 11/Jul/16 12:05pm

nolzey wrote:Gidday guys, just in a bit of a dilemma and although this is not totally bike related I would really appreciate some wisdom.
I'm a university student and I love cars. I currently drive a skyline and the insurance costs and petrol costs are killing me, plus it's rather in practical to take my bikes around etc as it's a coupe. I'm posting on here cause i'm wondering if I get something practical like a nice station wagon, ute or something to get me through till I've finished studying will I be over the phase of wanting to drive 'fun' cars when I'm a couple years older and more mature etc? It seems so hard to part with but with summer approaching I feel like I need something more practical to get the most of the bike/surfing season. HElP :crazy: :crazy:

I am going through the same delemma myself (not student though) just the traid off between style and performance and practicality. the practicality I want is a van something like the VW transporter low (ish) roof but I can leave the bikes in the back and they have a form of perceived security. but I decide to stick with what i have and drive it into the ground and get a van for my next vehicle. but i think if it were running cost that were influencing my decision i would switch to the van tomorrow. the biggest problem with a van or ute as a student is you will be helping everyone move.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby Bigfoot on Mon 11/Jul/16 12:37pm

EoinC wrote:Aaaah, the dilemmas of living in the First World.

As an old fart, I recommend the Hit-by-Bus theory. Do what you want today (terms and conditions apply), as tomorrow is an uncertain quantity. If your needs / desires change in the future, rinse and repeat with the new "today".

When / if you become an old fart, you may have few resources left, but you'll have plenty of memories (terms and conditions include but are not limited to Alzheimer's Disease).

Word. I second this entire theory, nothing makes you realize how short life is like almost losing it! Not being a downer, but fuckit - you only live once! :D
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"

Postby NickCW on Mon 11/Jul/16 1:00pm

Don't sell it. I was in the same position and sold my R32 before uni, ended up with boring/slow/practical cars for 10 years. I regret selling mine but the struggle was real back then. It sucks, I only got something half decent again last year.

There are bugger all decent ones left, hang onto it if you can they are just going up in value at the moment.
1.Buy a 5ft shortboard and tell your mates with barges over 6ft to take the bus
2. Move next to trails

Who is your current insurer, there are sometimes better options over the mainstream ones like classiccar.co.nz
NickCW
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby jo on Mon 11/Jul/16 1:09pm

I deliberately chose not to have a fun car as the money I'd spend on it/the speeding tickets I'd rather spend on bikes.
Have a good think about what your personal big 5 are - like Adventure Sports, Family &Friends - and if Car is there then go for it.
But everything in life is a tradeoff - money and time is limited; make sure you're spending both on the right things that make you happy.

philstar wrote:I am going through the same delemma myself (not student though) just the traid off between style and performance and practicality. the practicality I want is a van something like the VW transporter low (ish) roof but I can leave the bikes in the back and they have a form of perceived security. but I decide to stick with what i have and drive it into the ground and get a van for my next vehicle. but i think if it were running cost that were influencing my decision i would switch to the van tomorrow. the biggest problem with a van or ute as a student is you will be helping everyone move.

I'm thinking, once I run my current car down to the ground, to get a VW transporter and fit it out with a squab mattress for adventures. :cool: Though it might take me some time to wear that car out as I dont drive much. Which is good - more money for bikes and biking til then. :cool:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby danose on Mon 11/Jul/16 1:32pm

Percy Pig wrote:

3.0R legagy - cos ci beats psi any day :p
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby nolzey on Mon 11/Jul/16 5:17pm

All very split feedback!

I would love a twin turb legacy (or even a newer 2004-2005) with the twin-scroll single turbo but I think while i'm at university having a turbo is a bit unfeasible, and i've heard the twin turbo editions especially are monsters on petrol! I'm currently looking at N/A 2.0R Legacys with a manual transmission (somewhat rare). I like the look of them and the space is appealing for taking around friends, surfboards and bikes throughout summer.

Other options would be a Hilux surf or a truck along the lines, but not sure if I want to venture to the dark side (diesel)

To the fella suggesting a Stagea, I would love one! But hate the look of the sub 2000 models, and being an arrogant enthusiast I would like to stay in a manual car with the 2000-205 models are impossible/difficult to find in manual.

I do love my skyline, it is heaps of fun but I hate the negative stigma attached to driving them. I'm not overly interested in being an 'anti social road user' and would prefer to head to the track when I can. Therefore my priorities over summer won't be burnouts and driving 15 year olds to McDonalds, I'd rather adventure, surf and check out trails around New Zealand. Reading this it seems like I have my mind made up but damn it is difficult coming to grips with parting with a car that you love!
nolzey
Member for: 1 year 3 months

Postby Percy Pig on Mon 11/Jul/16 6:23pm

danose wrote:
Percy Pig wrote:

3.0R legagy - cos ci beats psi any day :p

Lies!!

Wanna race? :satan:
Or wanna hand to strap a big ass turbo to the Outback? Mmmm 250kw!!

Actually 3.0R Legacy's are nice, almost as much poke as the turbo, bit more cruizyness. :cool:
Percy Pig
"Got a bone?"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Cars | Cycling | Cycling Accessories | Motoring | Racks | Sifting - Latest Posts