Buy A Gopro, Only For It To Gather Dust?

Postby mudguard on Thu 2/Jun/16 7:38pm

I've pondered getting one for awhile, not for any narcissistic reason, my riding and trails are slow and would look ten times worse from a point of view, but more for sticking on the bike and seeing how the shock or the forks work.
Well obviously I know how they work, but more to see where (the shock) in particular sits during most of a ride.
But I think it would be a waste of money (that could be spent on other bike bits instead) for such a singular purpose. Do people use them for anything else? Family videos, photos? I figure my phone is decent enough for that, and I've got (my partner's) SLR if I really want to take photos.
I thought it would be quite good to chuck in my golf bag, as I tend to take a bit of video on my phone when we're playing, but the frame rate and quality is considerably higher on the Go Pro's than on my phone.
Last edited by mudguard on Sun 28/Aug/16 7:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Re: Buy A Go Pro, Only For It To Gather Dust?

Postby hudds on Thu 2/Jun/16 8:08pm

Go Pro is so last decade :) You should look at the new Revl Arc camera that is about to be produced. The world's smallest 4k action sports camera with a built in electronic stabilizing gimbal

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/revl ... amera--2#/
hudds
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 2/Jun/16 8:16pm

Yeah you should defo wait and buy a first gen of something due in december

sif

My contour is prob the worst dollar to lolz purchase ever made, the fucking thing never caught a crash of mine as it would wipe about 50 seconds prior to the spill, had a bunch of stacks with it but wtf is the point in recording if you never get your epic spills (tm)
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Farm on Thu 2/Jun/16 8:36pm

Sif = secret internet fatty?
Tm = trademark?
Farm
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby philstar on Thu 2/Jun/16 8:41pm

mudguard wrote:I've pondered getting one for awhile, not for any narcissistic reason, my riding and trails are slow and would look ten times worse from a point of view, but more for sticking on the bike and seeing how the shock or the forks work.
Well obviously I know how they work, but more to see where (the shock) in particular sits during most of a ride.
But I think it would be a waste of money (that could be spent on other bike bits instead) for such a singular purpose. Do people use them for anything else? Family videos, photos? I figure my phone is decent enough for that, and I've got (my partner's) SLR if I really want to take photos.
I thought it would be quite good to chuck in my golf bag, as I tend to take a bit of video on my phone when we're playing, but the frame rate and quality is considerably higher on the Go Pro's than on my phone.

most of what you want could be done with a mini camera like the MD80 Image unless you real want the 1080 or waterproof but at the price of these you can buy kill a lot of them before you pay for a go pro .
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Wobbler on Thu 2/Jun/16 8:53pm

Farm wrote:Sif = secret internet fatty?
Tm = trademark?

Short for as if m8
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby slidecontrol on Thu 2/Jun/16 9:25pm

Wobbler wrote:My contour is prob the worst dollar to lolz purchase ever made, the fucking thing never caught a crash of mine as it would wipe about 50 seconds prior to the spill, had a bunch of stacks with it but wtf is the point in recording if you never get your epic spills (tm)

My contour is the exact opposite. Simple to operate and never misses a beat. Far better than a go pro for helmet mounting too ( no teletubbie appendage )
slidecontrol
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Postby Farm on Thu 2/Jun/16 9:58pm

Wobbler wrote:
Farm wrote:Sif = secret internet fatty?
Tm = trademark?

Short for as if m8

Makes more sense.
Farm
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby el_booto on Thu 2/Jun/16 9:59pm

I picked up a shimano cm-1000 cheap AF over summer, has caught spills (mine and others) is stupid easy to use and is waterproof 6m out of the box
Mates with gopros reckon its a better unit... I've not used a gopro for more than an hour so I wouldn't know
el_booto
"Don't let anyone say "the world is your oyster" the world is not an oyster..."
Member for: 11 years 10 months

Postby mudguard on Sun 28/Aug/16 4:43pm

Well amusingly enough, I've now got a Hero4 Session? It's the wee cube one as a birthday present from my partner. I hurriedly opened last night and had an early ride this morning.
I wasn't able to mount it on my helmet (my Flux doesn't seem to have a suitable hole or flat bit). But the Woodhill shop sold a handlebar/seatpost mount so I ripped that opened and chucked it on.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that seatpost facing forward isn't the greatest angle. Amusing to see the front forks working. But looks like a batty Special Ed ad. I was going to point it backwards, but I wanted to check the rear tire clearance first at bottom out (turns out there's tonnes of room).

Next step, chest mount and gimbal, though now that I've seen pictures of people wearing them you certainly would not want to crash on it! Seems gimbals can't really be mounted on (mountain) bikes yet.
61C4AC421B5EE5727A07A491C3CA4A60.jpg
mudguard

Postby Philthy on Sun 28/Aug/16 7:08pm

Looks rad, looking forward to some sick edits :)
Philthy
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Re: Buy A Gopro, Only For It To Gather Dust?

Postby mfw on Sun 28/Aug/16 9:50pm

mudguard wrote:...for sticking on the bike and seeing how the shock or the forks work.

Would need a high frame rate if you want to see what suspension is doing properly (50Hz not fast enough).

There's a couple of startups that are designing gear to do this properly
http://www.shockwiz.com/
http://www.sussmybike.com/
After years of wanting a system like this I got my A into G about a year a go, started prototyping my own gear to do this but then other stuff got in the way and these guys came out the woodwork. So there goes my plans to make my million :(
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby happybaboon on Sun 28/Aug/16 10:27pm

mudguard wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb and say that seatpost facing forward isn't the greatest angle.

........Definitely not a place we want a camera on Froome's bike........
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Conners on Sun 28/Aug/16 10:31pm

mudguard wrote:Next step, chest mount and gimbal, though now that I've seen pictures of people wearing them you certainly would not want to crash on it! Seems gimbals can't really be mounted on (mountain) bikes yet.

There is something weird and floaty with a lot of the gimbal footage that I've seen - almost too smooth and it makes tracks look even slower than they already do when filmed by mere mortals...
Conners
"Seeing Double"

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sun 28/Aug/16 10:38pm

Conners wrote:
mudguard wrote:Next step, chest mount and gimbal, though now that I've seen pictures of people wearing them you certainly would not want to crash on it! Seems gimbals can't really be mounted on (mountain) bikes yet.

There is something weird and floaty with a lot of the gimbal footage that I've seen - almost too smooth and it makes tracks look even slower than they already do when filmed by mere mortals...

Yeah I'm not a big fan either.
Feel way too detached from the action.
They can struggle changing direction in switchbacks.
I'd be interested in one that only stabilizes in the vertical plane - displacement and some rotation.

Til then Helmet cam ftw.
With the GoPro Superview I can see my hands and way into the horizon.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Cameras | Cycling | Cycling Accessories | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts