Night Lights

Postby globe on Tue 24/May/16 10:47pm

What lights are people rocking these days (for mtb). Prefer to stay away from dx as had very varied results from them in the past, so much so the last set of batteries never arrived and after about 6 months I managed to get a refund.

Looking for a good compromise between performance and price as always. Cheers
globe
Member for: 10 years 8 months

Re: Night Lights

Postby Sims on Wed 25/May/16 10:41am

Sims
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Re: Night Lights

Postby Sims on Wed 25/May/16 10:43am

I just use one of these little suckers for my daily commute - I get a about 2 weeks out of the 4-cell battery on low power (20hrs). For off road I like to run one on the handle bar (I've got an older model as well), and one on my helmet for better depth perception. Get about 3.5hrs on 'as bright as the sun' setting.
Sims
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Re: Night Lights

Postby happybaboon on Wed 25/May/16 11:03am

Hope R4.

the newer versions look like they'll give better penetration* down the trail.
For maximum bossness an R4 on the helmet and an R8 on the bars would make you light shit up like the landing lights on a large aircraft.
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Night Lights

Postby danose on Wed 25/May/16 11:09am

happybaboon wrote:Hope R4.


seconded - really nice build quality (as you'd expect from Hope) plus a really well thought out headlamp mount for running (nicely balanced)
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Re: Night Lights

Postby happybaboon on Wed 25/May/16 11:21am

The new ones look even more grouse. And are brighter still.
Great commuting/road light too as it's obscenely visible and has flash mode.
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Night Lights

Postby BrokenKonaRider on Wed 25/May/16 11:39am

For mtb - gloworm x2
For commuting mtb (45min slow ride through darkest jungle) lezyene Microdrive 400XL on the handlebar is simple and sufficient
BrokenKonaRider
User avatar
"Pants"
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Re: Night Lights

Postby philstar on Wed 25/May/16 5:34pm

globe wrote:What lights are people rocking these days (for mtb). Prefer to stay away from dx as had very varied results from them in the past, so much so the last set of batteries never arrived and after about 6 months I managed to get a refund.

Looking for a good compromise between performance and price as always. Cheers


https://www.kogan.com/nz/buy/cree-t6-le ... -lamp-kit/

it is just a DE light that has better costumer service, not as good as the other suggestions but but much cheaper.
philstar
User avatar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Re: Night Lights

Postby phunk on Thu 26/May/16 1:01pm

Has anyone had any luck in finding different reflectors for the generic DX lights? Ive got a version but the beam pattern is too narrow, I cant seem to find anything via google.
phunk
User avatar
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Re: Night Lights

Postby ape on Thu 26/May/16 6:06pm

I bought a fresnel lens that was supposed to turn them into a nice oval beam... so a bit of spread to the sides, but still decent reach in the middle... it sucked, and I wouldn't recommend them.

when you can get a light like this for pocket change, why would you bother switching out reflectors?..,

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S023773

my experience of KD are that they ship faster and are generally better to deal with than DX. but of course it's always a gamble. If you have the $$ (not many these days), I'd also look at picking up another battery too., with cheap lights, there's a nice bit of peace of mind that comes from having one on your bars and one on your head so you're not blind if one blows up, shakes loose, or snags on a tree.
(but place separate orders because batteries are getting a good run around these days, and I know DX won't ship them here at the moment)
ape
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Re: Night Lights

Postby philstar on Thu 26/May/16 6:31pm

ape wrote:I bought a fresnel lens that was supposed to turn them into a nice oval beam... so a bit of spread to the sides, but still decent reach in the middle... it sucked, and I wouldn't recommend them.

when you can get a light like this for pocket change, why would you bother switching out reflectors?..,

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S023773

my experience of KD are that they ship faster and are generally better to deal with than DX. but of course it's always a gamble. If you have the $$ (not many these days), I'd also look at picking up another battery too., with cheap lights, there's a nice bit of peace of mind that comes from having one on your bars and one on your head so you're not blind if one blows up, shakes loose, or snags on a tree.
(but place separate orders because batteries are getting a good run around these days, and I know DX won't ship them here at the moment)



can you get NZ chargers from them with the batteries?
philstar
User avatar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Re: Night Lights

Postby laworder on Sat 28/May/16 1:47am



Just checked out the Gemini Titan
http://gemini-lights.com/products/titan
Perfect for me, have been looking for a light to mount across the handlebar stem like this to replace a Ferei one I had that died
laworder
User avatar
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Re: Night Lights

Postby ape on Sun 29/May/16 8:56am

philstar wrote:
ape wrote:I bought a fresnel lens that was supposed to turn them into a nice oval beam... so a bit of spread to the sides, but still decent reach in the middle... it sucked, and I wouldn't recommend them.

when you can get a light like this for pocket change, why would you bother switching out reflectors?..,

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S023773

my experience of KD are that they ship faster and are generally better to deal with than DX. but of course it's always a gamble. If you have the $$ (not many these days), I'd also look at picking up another battery too., with cheap lights, there's a nice bit of peace of mind that comes from having one on your bars and one on your head so you're not blind if one blows up, shakes loose, or snags on a tree.
(but place separate orders because batteries are getting a good run around these days, and I know DX won't ship them here at the moment)



can you get NZ chargers from them with the batteries?


If by "NZ chargers" you mean a multi-voltage or 230V charger with US pins that you can either plug into an adaptor, or bend the pins with a pair of pliers... and operate away from flammable items, 'cause it hasn't caused a problem yet, but..... Anyone can screen print compliance logos onto plastic, then yes.... just buy the light set. ~$40 for light, battery, charger. I believe they are illegal and I wouldn't suggest anyone used them... but they have worked fine for me so far... do as I say not as I do.
ape
Member for: 13 years 3 months

Re: Night Lights

Postby dwgknz on Wed 15/Jun/16 9:12am

So as a recently carless individual I may hit the bike again.

So I've narrowed it down to two lights, Gloworm X2 and Gemini Duo, similar priced so any tips on which is better.....
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Re: Night Lights

Postby happybaboon on Wed 15/Jun/16 12:59pm

Hope R4.

https://www.merlincycles.com/hope-visio ... 88026.html
(dunno how to get a vorb affiliate link to work)
happybaboon
User avatar
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Cycling | Cycling Accessories | Cycling Lights - Latest Posts

Who is online

48 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot] and 45 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Torpedo7
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit