Noob Looking For Some Bike Advice/suggestions

Postby Vivasanti on Tue 17/May/16 3:33pm

Hi guys,

First post here - and hopefully not my last.

I have recently had the "urge" to get back into biking, my old bike was a VERY OLD specialized Rock Hopper FSR :D i grew up in Dunedin and spent many hours on my bike all over the show - i moved away and ended up getting into other things - the bike sat in the shed.

Now i have 2 very small kids, id like to spend some "me" time hooning round the local tracks (i now live in South Cantab)

Im after an Entry level 27.5", possibly leaning to intermediate bike with a budget of 3k max (we are single income family)

Id prefer a dual sus bike but wouldn't rule out a hardtail (though ive havent owned a hardtail since i was a child) if i could get a better bike overall.

Just trying to get the best bang for my buck - but am completely out of touch with whats available.

We have a Bike Barn near here, the Cyclery, and if i have to i can travel to Torpedo 7, Advanti in Dunedin.

Ive also been looking at Evolutioncycles.co.nz (free shipping)

im 176cm tall.

If anyone has and suggestions/opinions, i would love to hear them - if i have posted in the wrong section feel free to moderate.

thanks for reading :)
Vivasanti
Member for: 1 year 7 months

Re: Noob Looking For Some Bike Advice/suggestions

Postby happybaboon on Tue 17/May/16 5:47pm

They'll all offer tonnes of legitimate candidates in that category. I'd go round the local shops and see where you get the best vibe/best service. Possibly one of the local bike shop dudes hangs out on here and will invite you in.

Ride a few options, settle on a list, then post the specs on here and we'll debate them/get into a flame war/talk about poos.
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby Vivasanti on Tue 17/May/16 6:11pm

Thanks for your reply, i definitely plan to head into the shops and have a chat - wasnt sure on the etiquette on taking bikes for rides.

But still feel free to offer some bikes you guys would go for.

Seems to be a few Meridas, are these good bikes? also the Kona Precept 150? Specialized Camber?
Vivasanti

Postby Sims on Tue 17/May/16 7:06pm

Buy a Giant Reign. Its more fun than the badger in a your jock strap.
Sims
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 17/May/16 7:34pm

They're also long as hell, slack as hell, and not what 90% of riders want or need.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Sims on Tue 17/May/16 7:49pm

AgrAde wrote:They're also long as hell, slack as hell, and what 90% of riders want and need.

Fixed!
Sims

Postby Vivasanti on Tue 17/May/16 8:03pm

Thanks for the suggestion! The cyclery has Giant bikes, not that model though!
Vivasanti

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 17/May/16 8:23pm

Do you have a feel on what type of riding you'll be doing on this future bike?
I realise there is less genre variation in entry level machines, but a hint about having ambitions of long lycra-shod distance, or bombing the fall line will help fine tune the advice you get.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Vivasanti on Tue 17/May/16 9:25pm

Haha, I plan on hitting on trails in our local reserve and some local tracks in the surrounding district - is that trail riding, nothing ultra rocky, but they do have some technical descents.

Im definitely more of a "take it off road on the dirty single tracks" than on "a very long flat gravel road" guy.

Thanks!
Vivasanti

Postby Conners on Tue 17/May/16 9:34pm

Based on what you've said so far, I'd be leaning towards a 100-125mm travel trail bike.
Something like a Giant Trance (I'm a bit biased as that's what I ride) but think they're hard to beat both in terms of bang for your buck but also all round ability to handle a multitude of trails.
They're good on the ups and can take a fair beating on the downs.

The current trend towards longer/lower/slacker/burlier enduro style bikes look like a barrel of laughs on the downs, but I think could be slightly off-putting to a noob when it comes to climbing and general rolling around on easier trails.

The second hand market can be great if you manage to find something that suits (and fits). But as babs said, when you're starting out the service and relationship you develop with a local shop can/will go a long way to how much enjoyment you will get out of your new steed.

I've personally not had any experience with Merida's, but do see a fair few of them out on the trails these days.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Vivasanti on Tue 17/May/16 11:11pm

Thanks so much for your detailed reply, i actually looked at the Giant Stance 2, it was about 2grand, but i think i can push the budget a wee bit more, will look for a Stance and have a nose!

/meh could be out my price range unless i go 2nd hand

Keep em comming team :)
Vivasanti

Postby AgrAde on Tue 17/May/16 11:30pm

The rear triangle of Stances is pretty breaky. Might pay to push to the Trance if you decide to go the Giant route.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Sims on Thu 19/May/16 11:14am

+1 On the Trance - very capable trail bike. I think they're on special at Torpedo7 at the moment. The deal of last year was the run out special on the 2014/15 model for $2800. Actually a second hand Trance would be my pick for a do-all bike. Can't think of much else that does so much for such a reasonable price point.

Alternately you could buy my '08 Giant Reign X1. Guessing its much too burly for someone wanting to do trail riding, but it is geared to go up hill. Its kinda an XC riders downhill bike, or the downhill riders XC bike. Won't be to everyones taste, but its served me well doing everything from multi day epics,to Queenstown gondola runs. Well serviced, and its only $1000. Happy to box up and ship.
Sims

Postby Vivasanti on Thu 19/May/16 11:25am

Haha thanks man, send me some pics!

Id prefer a newer bike TBH, theres oly xs/s Trances left on T7

Thanks for your opinions, i saw a Giant Reign yesterday on Trademe, was 2016 - 3 grand, looks like it might be worth keeping a closer eye on the second hand market.
Vivasanti

Postby Sims on Thu 19/May/16 11:57am

You can have a look over on the auction listing if you're curious -> http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... 1086727550

Honestly I can't gush enough about about how fun the 2016 Reign is to ride. Its not going to win any races back up hill. But still climbs well, with the dw/meastro style suspension providing gobs of traction. Going down, its low, slack, pointed and fast as f**k. To me, it feels like i'm 20% faster going down, for 20% less commitment.

I bought mine ex rental for $2500. But I've replaced the whole beat up drive train to 1x11. Geared with 42T cassette to a 30T chainring, now it climbs like a mountain goat, and tops out about 40kph.

I'm gonna get one for the missus too, once the prices drop a touch more.
Sims

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Complete Bikes | Cycling | MTB Full Suspension Bikes - Latest Posts