So should the law be changed to allow kids to ride on the footpath?

Yes
88%
No
12%

Total voters : 25

Talkback Tuesday:should Kids Be Allowed To Ride On Footpaths

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Tue 17/May/16 10:21am

This article caught my eye this morning:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/79 ... law-change

So should the law be changed to allow kids to ride on the footpath?

Are the dangers of riding on the road real or just perception?

Is it more dangerous on the footpath with the risk of people backing out of a driveway?

No-one else are using the footpath, most suburban footpaths are deserted anyway, might as well put them to some use?
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Re: Talkback Tuesday:should Kids Be Allowed To Ride On Footpaths

Postby dwgknz on Tue 17/May/16 11:05am

Defo where I live the footpath is more dangerous than the road. The 6yo is out on the road but the 5yo sticks to the footpath. Even the 6yo is not strong or smart enough for me to be fully comfortable with him on the road yet. Doesn't think far ahead enough and won't until he's much older......
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby Malcy on Tue 17/May/16 11:10am

Kids don't think ahead. It's physioligical, to do with pre-fontal brain shit that means that they aren't developed enough to make those decisions seriously anyway.

It's funny, but I thought it was legal! I ride behind CJ on her way to school, every day that we ride. Hell, we even rode past a cop and he gave a friendly way to us!

Blimey. Have to rethink. For her, I treat riding on the road as a privilege and it is not something we do all that often.
Malcy
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 17/May/16 11:19am

kids scoot on the footpath, so why shouldnt they bike? yes, cars backing out of driveways are a hazard, but then imbeciles behind the wheels of behemoth SUV/4WD who have no idea how big their vehicle is, driving like they're in a mini, when the kids on the road are riding around parked cars? :blink:

not a problem for me, my boy scoots to school every day, i follow along on my bike, both of us on the footpath or me not, dog running ahead, but it's River Rd, Chch, Redzoned, no more houses, so no driveways for cars to be backing out of!!! :thumbsup:
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby Rik on Tue 17/May/16 11:43am

swtchbckr wrote:kids scoot on the footpath, so why shouldnt they bike?

So the regs say wheels less than 355 millimetres diameter are okay.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby oldandlazy on Tue 17/May/16 11:55am

I fully support giving kids the option of riding on the footpath, but wouldn't support making it compulsory.

I also don't support requiring a bell to be able to ride on the footpath. It's easier to say hello (or shout) than to move a little hand along or off a bar to ring a bell.
oldandlazy
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby jo on Tue 17/May/16 12:01pm

I dont believe kids can anticipate cars backing out of driveways.
BUT - as others have said, they have other means to travel rather quickly, especially down my hill.
I'd think of having a speed limit, but adult runners with headphones in are often similarly oblivious. *shrug*

Those crashes are going to happen and i dont feel the need to legislate to avoid them. I'd rather kids had the option to ride on the footpath. Ideally they should be going walking pace or similar.

New misdemeanour- dangerous footpath behaviour?
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby philstar on Tue 17/May/16 12:12pm

you are if you are riding lees than 355 mm

I am conflicted about this

1) the foot path is kinda more dangerous, how does being on the foot path improve reaction time and peripheral vision, it just makes you more invisible, drivers wont accidentally see you when they are looking for cars on the road if you are on the foot path.

2) anyone should provided they are doing less than (some speed less than 20kph say, and not being a dick), else adults could not ride with kids,

3) if kids never ride on the road they will never learn, is it age or experience that builds skills?

4) it is a bit like the helmet law, a token effort to be seen to be doing something about safety without improving safety. A better change to the law would be 1.5m space when passing cyclist (this will not make it safer it will just make prosecutions easier).

5) it may decrease pressure for cycle lanes.
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby Malcy on Tue 17/May/16 12:23pm

I like the bell idea.

It totally caught me out riding in Canada... nearly got a ticket for it, except for a nice cop who just pointed me in the direction of the nearest shop to buy one. :-)

I find though, that when on my commuter and using a shared path, headphone wearers are the least likely to hear anything. Ha! Even going around the basin some old shite decided to argue with me recently that it was a banned cycling area! lol While I was politely pointing out the cycle path. A bell or not, nothing would have helped that situation out.
Malcy

Postby Malcy on Tue 17/May/16 12:26pm

It comes down to two things.

1, do you trust any child under 14 on the roads to not do silly things
2, do you trust New Zealand drivers to be aware of little people cycling on the roads, when grown up people cycling on the roads are ignored?

The absurd notion that the footpath is as dangerous as the road, really fries me head to think about. Have you looked at Wellington Road, and the footpaths near it? Want to tell me that CJ (8 year old) is safer on the road there, than the footpath?
Malcy

Postby dragon_style on Tue 17/May/16 12:31pm

I feel very strongly that kids up to the age of 12 (so people can't complain about teenagers) and adults accompanying or carrying children should be allowed to ride on the footpath. I think there should be the usual rules around giving pedestrians primary right of way, restricting speed to along the lines of a running person and that the local Council should be able to determine areas such as shopping precincts to be walking only (like they try with dog and skateboard restrictions).

At the moment it's insane that a 5 year old child is expected to ride on the road like an adult because their wheels are too big for the law to accept them on the footpath. If more people rode on the footpath we'd have to develop better relationships between cyclist and pedestrians and vehicle drivers would have to get better at looking before crossing footpaths. As has been pointed out kids are already running, scooting and skateboarding at speeds many drivers don't appreciate when turning into or coming out of driveways. There are studies that have found cycling on the footpath to have a higher injury rate than riding on the road but nothing that seems conclusive when factors like rider skill and the unexpectedness relative to cars coming out of driveways is taken into account. I'd also be totally happy if people over the age of 60 or so could ride on the footpath if they wanted. More cyclists = good.

If you want to ride on the footpath totally legally then carry a couple of newspapers with you as the law simply says "delivering newspapers" with nothing about for commercial purposes etc. Be an interesting test case if it came to it how they might try to define it.
dragon_style
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Postby Philthy on Tue 17/May/16 1:14pm

Until now I was dead certain that it was legal for children to ride on footpath, and for adults accompanying said sprog.
I also actually thought that, although not enforced, it was illegal to reverse out a drive way. Should be illegal. Reversing in and driving out forward allows much better visibility
Philthy
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby philstar on Tue 17/May/16 1:47pm

Malcy wrote:
The absurd notion that the footpath is as dangerous as the road, really fries me head to think about. Have you looked at Wellington Road, and the footpaths near it? Want to tell me that CJ (8 year old) is safer on the road there, than the footpath?

very much depends on the road; busy road dangerous for bikes, people more careful coming out of driveways; not busy road pretty safe for bikes, people more brazen about pulling out of driveways. wellington road defiantly falls under busy.
philstar
"misanthropic"

Postby Barbsarama on Tue 17/May/16 4:40pm

Yes, because... kids.
Also, don't quite see how riding a bike on the foot path with a car backing out of a drive way is any more dangerous than riding a bike on the road with a car backing out of a driveway?
Barbsarama
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 17/May/16 5:16pm

Cars emerge from behind a fence and are instantly blocking the footpath. If you're moving at 20kmph down a footpath, you have approximately zero time between seeing the car and smashing into it. If you're on the road, you'll see the car as it emerges from behind the fence, at least 3m from your path. And it'll probably stop before it gets to the road.

Riding on the footpath is like riding in the door zone. Okay under about 10kmph, a bad idea once you get much above that.

I fully support legal riding on the footpath for all ages, but with a very low speed limit. Good luck enforcing it though.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

News - Latest Posts