Mountain Bike Nz North Island To South Island

Postby a2kmoore on Wed 11/May/16 5:39am

Hello. Hail from Boulder Colorado and want to plan a mountain bike trip from the northern point of the North Island to the southern tip of the South Island.

Questions:
What is roughly the distance?
How long will it take at a standard pace? Once I understand the duration, then I will plan additional time for sightseeing, etc.
Thinking of using a fat tire bike, but do not want to jeopardize the technical routes. Any suggestions on type of bike?
Would fall or spring be the best time to bike?

Thank you for your input. Kevin Moore
a2kmoore
Member for: 1 year 7 months

Re: Mountain Bike Nz North Island To South Island

Postby Kev on Wed 11/May/16 7:21am

Hi Kevin, I can't share any local insights because I live in California but I can recommend some reading material.
If you look in the Epic Riding channel you should see lots of long distance ride discussion threads including the Tour Aotearoa 2016 which ran a similar route to the one you had in mind. 3000km's according to http://www.touraotearoa.nz/

I imagine any route you plot will contain many, many miles of asphalt so I'm not sure a fatbike would be the best choice. But, as I said, I have zero useful local knowledge. I do look forward to seeing an update and a few posts here during the adventure.
Kev
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 11/May/16 7:48am

Couple of books to get hold of:

http://www.kennett.co.nz/product/classic-new-zealand-cycle-trails/
http://www.kennett.co.nz/product/the-new-zealand-cycle-trails/

I wouldn't use a fat bike, possibly a plus tire but I'd swing towards something with a lot less rolling resistance as it's a long distance in the saddle.....
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Postby a2kmoore on Thu 12/May/16 2:04am

Thank you guys for the feedback. Will check out the published material. Totally psyched about this trip. K
a2kmoore

Postby globe on Thu 12/May/16 7:48pm

Google maps says its 2165kms
globe
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Postby matnz on Thu 12/May/16 8:50pm

Problem with Fat bike or plus tires could be getting spares. You can travel 100km a main highways between town, and by town, I mean a settlement with a pub and petrol station. Even the 'big town' bike shops are unlikely to stock plus and fat tires. Stick to bike that looks more like a bike than this years fashion accessory.

As far as the riding goes, think 55% coarse chip, 2% smooth asphalt, and 40% gravel roads (more or less depending how much effort you go to to get away from the sealed stuff) and the remainder technical single track - its a largely a touring trip with some side shows rather than a Mountain bike trip, a steel tourer would be my choice if bike for this trip. A true MTB trip would best be done with a support car and driving between the great tracks and parks we have available.
matnz
Member for: 2 years 7 months

Postby a2kmoore on Fri 20/May/16 3:13am

Thanks Matnz for your input. Like the idea of a MTB trip with a support vehicle. Still could go north to south and catch all the prime singletrack. I assume 29" tires are readily available. Thanks again, Kevin
a2kmoore

Cycle Touring | Cycling - Latest Posts