Strava - Global Bike To Work Day, May 10th

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Mon 9/May/16 1:15pm

MAKE #COMMUTESCOUNT WITH STRAVA METRO

When you participate in the Global Bike to Work Day Challenge on May 10th, Strava Metro makes your #CommutesCount. Metro analyzes the millions of human-powered commutes uploaded to Strava every week, then partners with urban planners to improve city infrastructure for cyclists and pedestrians using anonymized data.

All you have to do to be a part of the Global Bike to Work Day Challenge is ride from point A to point B on May 10th and upload your trip to Strava. The more commutes uploaded, the better the data and ultimately, the better the city. With Strava Metro, you win, cities win and the environment wins. Here’s how it all works.

DATA-DRIVEN BICYCLE AND PEDESTRIAN PLANNING

More than five million rides and runs are uploaded to Strava each week, and in cities, the majority of these activities are commutes. These activities have created trillions of data points on where people actually ride, run and walk in cities.

In 2014, Strava launched a data service called Strava Metro. Since then, Metro has worked with over 70 organizations around the world to understand how more than a half-million bicyclists and pedestrians choose to navigate through cities. Each of these organizations is using the anonymized data to understand the general flow of people across their streets over time.

SMART CYCLING AND PEDESTRIAN DATA IN ACTION

With data like this, cities can better understand how people choose to interact with the network of roads, bike paths and intersections. The result is improved decision-making, smarter planning, safer streets and more people biking, running and walking. Better data is a catalyst for change.

When you participate in the Strava Global Bike to Work Day Challenge, you have the chance to help create a new and better future for your city and to make #CommutesCount.
GBTWD_challenge_badge.png
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Re: Strava - Global Bike To Work Day, May 10th

Postby OliverBendix on Tue 10/May/16 9:18am

Done.

check out my 2.8 km Ride on Strava: https://www.strava.com/activities/570963903
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Rik on Tue 10/May/16 9:21am

Challenge completed, but meh do it most days. Just doing my bit to add some heat to the heat map

Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby adikt on Tue 10/May/16 10:24am

Ah crap, totally forgot about this. Probably the only day this week I wont be riding to work.

Well done me.
adikt
Member for: 2 years 8 months

Postby Rik on Tue 10/May/16 10:36am

Had I known the object of the challenge was to have the longest time commuting I wouldn't have ridden so bloody fast :angry:
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby dwgknz on Tue 10/May/16 11:04am

Rik wrote:Had I known the object of the challenge was to have the longest time commuting I wouldn't have ridden so bloody fast :angry:

Didn't you forget that really important thing that you have to pop home to collect......?!? ;)
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby Kev on Wed 11/May/16 4:39am

Doing my bit to ensure you all have a well maintained cycling infrastructure when you come visit our THRILL RIDES, including Flight Deck and Vortex, at California's Great America theme park and the 13 water slides, heated lagoon, lazy river and wave pool at Boomerang Bay!
Kev
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Rik on Wed 11/May/16 8:34am

Kev wrote: when you come visit our THRILL RIDES, including Flight Deck and Vortex, at California's Great America theme park and the 13 water slides, heated lagoon, lazy river and wave pool at Boomerang Bay!

Tour of California *cough*
Rik

Postby pb on Wed 11/May/16 9:20am

My commute.

pb
"Mmmm, Beer."
Member for: 12 years 2 months

Postby Kev on Wed 11/May/16 9:38am

Rik wrote:
Kev wrote: when you come visit our THRILL RIDES, including Flight Deck and Vortex, at California's Great America theme park and the 13 water slides, heated lagoon, lazy river and wave pool at Boomerang Bay!

Tour of California *cough*

Interestingly, this year they aren't coming anywhere near here. They usually get within 5-10miles but, this time, Laguna Seca, down in Monterey, is as close as they get. And you know how far away that is!
Kev
Member for: 8 years 1 month

Postby Klarkash-ton on Wed 11/May/16 9:55am

did my bit

https://www.strava.com/activities/570876121

not sure some of the punters really understand bike to work day, or kudos to them for doing a days work after their 200 mile commutes :crazy:
Klarkash-ton
"I ride to support my eating habit"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Malcy on Wed 11/May/16 10:16am

Ridiculously, seems that I miss riding on every "ride to work day" for whatever reason. Stupid as I bike every other day! Lol

Ah well.
Malcy
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Rik on Wed 11/May/16 10:32am

Klarkash-ton wrote:or kudos to them for doing a days work after their 200 mile commutes :crazy:

Unless of course their office 'is' the saddle, then its days work done, time to got home, 200 miles.
Rik

Postby Malcy on Wed 11/May/16 12:12pm

Rik wrote:
Klarkash-ton wrote:or kudos to them for doing a days work after their 200 mile commutes :crazy:

Unless of course their office 'is' the saddle, then its days work done, time to got home, 200 miles.

:D
Malcy
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby R+P+K on Wed 11/May/16 12:22pm

I planned to do it, forgot about it and then did it anyway.

How the F do you embed Stravas in your posts?
R+P+K
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling | News - Latest Posts