Heart Problem Forces Northey's Retirement

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Fri 6/May/16 3:22pm

Ill health has forced the premature retirement of leading New Zealand road cycling professional Mike Northey.

The 2014 Commonwealth Games road race rider says the discovery of a heart condition triggered the immediate termination his contract with British team Madison Genesis.

He announced his retirement on social media, explaining a virus he contracted last year was found to have permanently damaged his heart. It was discovered too late for treatment.

Northey, 29, is the reigning national criterium champion, winning his third title in five years last November.

His retirement drew reaction from many of his peers, who described him as a consummate professional who made the most of his ability.

Orica GreenEdge's Sam Bewley wrote on Twitter that Northey had made the right decision.

"I've been racing with mike since we were 13yrs old. I'll miss him on the grid, but some things are bigger than sport."
Mike_Northey_5.jpg
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 11 years 6 months

Re: Heart Problem Forces Northey's Retirement

Postby Fraser on Fri 6/May/16 6:25pm

Pro athlete with a heart issue at a young age. Never heard of that before.
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby Conners on Fri 6/May/16 6:35pm

Fraser wrote:Pro athlete with a heart issue at a young age. Never heard of that before.

Wow, not just page one - but the first reply. :eh:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Fri 6/May/16 8:08pm

Caught from Virus.
didnt Hayden rollston have something similar?
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby FLATULENTFRIEND on Fri 6/May/16 9:39pm

"triggered the immediate termination his contract with British team Madison Genesis."
Did they trigger it or did he?
FLATULENTFRIEND
"I'm a Sponsored rider; My Wife Pays me to get out of the house!"
Member for: 9 years 0 months

Postby Fraser on Sat 7/May/16 8:13pm

RHR_Rob wrote:Caught from Virus.
didnt Hayden rollston have something similar?

Hayden's was a genetic heart issue from what I understand.

Northey's is saying this was caused from a virus that damaged his heart in 2015. That has to be a real blow as he joined Madison Genesis in 2014 and as a professional sports person who is monitored regularly by the team doctor I think we can all appreciate the gentlemanly behavior of this that Northey and the team for them to be is shrugging this career ending heart problem off as just one of those random things that could happen to anyone is chivalrous.
Fraser
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby gydey on Sat 7/May/16 9:58pm

What a shame. I was lucky enough to have Mike in our Junior Worlds Team back in 05 and he was a great wee rider and a bloody champion young fella. Its been great watching him progress and succeed since then, and he had the bike skills from hell, probably should have been in the circus.

Whilst its sad to see Mike hang up his bike, Successful athletes are most often successful people in life, so Im sure he'll make a great success of the rest of his life.

Good on ya Mike
gydey
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Postby gydey on Sat 7/May/16 9:59pm

What a shame. I was lucky enough to have Mike in our Junior Worlds Team back in 05 and he was a great wee rider and a bloody champion young fella. Its been great watching him progress and succeed since then, and he had the bike skills from hell, probably should have been in the circus.

Whilst its sad to see Mike hang up his bike, Successful athletes are most often successful people in life, so Im sure he'll make a great success of the rest of his life.

Good on ya Mike
gydey
Member for: 9 years 10 months

Cycling | News | Road Cycling | Road Racing - Latest Posts