Re: Road Helmet V Mountain Bike Helmet

Postby mudguard on Fri 22/Apr/16 8:12pm

Here's a top of the line road helmet and a top of the line mountainbike helmet.

One has more coverage, one has less.
One is more sweaty, one is less.
One is more aero, one is less

Maybe roadies crash less often, or don't tumble and catch the back of their heads?
Would you say these helmets are suitable for all riding?
Spec.jpg
TL A1.jpg
TLD3.jpg
mudguard
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Re: Road Helmet V Mountain Bike Helmet

Postby AgrAde on Fri 22/Apr/16 8:33pm

bikedog wrote:
Conners wrote:
bikedog wrote:We're getting somewhere now...
So it's a vision thing then.....roadies look to the horizon more, while Mounties look down at the terrain?

And different protection as mentioned above.


Different protection, yeah right, that's a joke. It's your head, it either protects it, or it doesn't. I'm not entertaining that foolish comment for one moment.

So really, there's no reason a mountain bike helmet cannot be used for commuter cycling then. At least several long standing members can come up with no logical answer.


If you're as dumb as a box of rocks then I guess you could come to that conclusion.

Imagine falling on a flat road. There's only so many ways that your head can hit the ground, because your body is in the way - you're probably only really going to hit the top of your head, or the top sides. Now imagine falling into a rock garden. The helmet needs to cover more of your head because it's possible to hit lower on your forehead, lower on the sides of your head and lower on the back of your head due to a protruding rock.

Road helmets are frikken incredible at protecting your head while falling on a road. But if a rock hits low they're absolutely useless. They're designed for aero, for going fast, and not getting in the way of your view when you're in a forward riding position.

Mtb helmets are better at random falls on uneven terrain. They're not designed for aero, are more designed for scooping in as much air as possible for ventilation. They are better at shading your eyes from the sun in an MTB riding position, which isn't good in a forward roadie riding position.

Of course both helmets work okay for both uses, and no one gives a fuck what you commute with, but if you're asking why they're separated in a bike shop then you got your answer three times over and chose to ignore it. If i go into a bike shop looking for a mtb helmet, i don't want to sort through a bunch of high sitting road shite just to find what I want. And if I want to buy a road helmet I don't want to sort through the draggy, low visibility mtb shite either. Hopefully that answers your question.
AgrAde
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Re: Road Helmet V Mountain Bike Helmet

Postby Conners on Fri 22/Apr/16 9:45pm

AgrAde wrote:
bikedog wrote:
Conners wrote:
bikedog wrote:We're getting somewhere now...
So it's a vision thing then.....roadies look to the horizon more, while Mounties look down at the terrain?

And different protection as mentioned above.


Different protection, yeah right, that's a joke. It's your head, it either protects it, or it doesn't. I'm not entertaining that foolish comment for one moment.

So really, there's no reason a mountain bike helmet cannot be used for commuter cycling then. At least several long standing members can come up with no logical answer.


If you're as dumb as a box of rocks then I guess you could come to that conclusion.

Imagine falling on a flat road. There's only so many ways that your head can hit the ground, because your body is in the way - you're probably only really going to hit the top of your head, or the top sides. Now imagine falling into a rock garden. The helmet needs to cover more of your head because it's possible to hit lower on your forehead, lower on the sides of your head and lower on the back of your head due to a protruding rock.

Road helmets are frikken incredible at protecting your head while falling on a road. But if a rock hits low they're absolutely useless. They're designed for aero, for going fast, and not getting in the way of your view when you're in a forward riding position.

Mtb helmets are better at random falls on uneven terrain. They're not designed for aero, are more designed for scooping in as much air as possible for ventilation. They are better at shading your eyes from the sun in an MTB riding position, which isn't good in a forward roadie riding position.

Of course both helmets work okay for both uses, and no one gives a fuck what you commute with, but if you're asking why they're separated in a bike shop then you got your answer three times over and chose to ignore it. If i go into a bike shop looking for a mtb helmet, i don't want to sort through a bunch of high sitting road shite just to find what I want. And if I want to buy a road helmet I don't want to sort through the draggy, low visibility mtb shite either. Hopefully that answers your question.

Well put.

I suggest bikedog purchases a Simpson drag racing helmet for commuting duties - I don't think he should risk any further brain damage.
image.jpeg
Conners
User avatar
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Re: Road Helmet V Mountain Bike Helmet

Postby bikedog on Sat 23/Apr/16 11:49am

AgrAde wrote:
bikedog wrote:
Conners wrote:
bikedog wrote:We're getting somewhere now...
So it's a vision thing then.....roadies look to the horizon more, while Mounties look down at the terrain?

And different protection as mentioned above.


Different protection, yeah right, that's a joke. It's your head, it either protects it, or it doesn't. I'm not entertaining that foolish comment for one moment.

So really, there's no reason a mountain bike helmet cannot be used for commuter cycling then. At least several long standing members can come up with no logical answer.


If you're as dumb as a box of rocks then I guess you could come to that conclusion.

Imagine falling on a flat road. There's only so many ways that your head can hit the ground, because your body is in the way - you're probably only really going to hit the top of your head, or the top sides. Now imagine falling into a rock garden. The helmet needs to cover more of your head because it's possible to hit lower on your forehead, lower on the sides of your head and lower on the back of your head due to a protruding rock.



Road helmets are frikken incredible at protecting your head while falling on a road. But if a rock hits low they're absolutely useless. They're designed for aero, for going fast, and not getting in the way of your view when you're in a forward riding position.

Mtb helmets are better at random falls on uneven terrain. They're not designed for aero, are more designed for scooping in as much air as possible for ventilation. They are better at shading your eyes from the sun in an MTB riding position, which isn't good in a forward roadie riding position.

Of course both helmets work okay for both uses, and no one gives a fuck what you commute with, but if you're asking why they're separated in a bike shop then you got your answer three times over and chose to ignore it. If i go into a bike shop looking for a mtb helmet, i don't want to sort through a bunch of high sitting road shite just to find what I want. And if I want to buy a road helmet I don't want to sort through the draggy, low visibility mtb shite either. Hopefully that answers your question.


If you are really that dumb, and cannot think that a footpath curb can easily represent your rock, you are as dumb as a drum of rocks. Have another think muffin. And next time you reply to someone, consider being polite or not bother. Your type wreck forums.
bikedog
User avatar
Member for: 4 years 3 months

Re: Road Helmet V Mountain Bike Helmet

Postby dwgknz on Sat 23/Apr/16 11:57am

Why come on here and ask a questions if you've got all the answers already? Just fucks everyone off when they try to help and you just want to argue with their answers.......
dwgknz
User avatar
Member for: 5 years 5 months

Re: Road Helmet V Mountain Bike Helmet

Postby bikedog on Sat 23/Apr/16 12:02pm

mudguard wrote:Here's a top of the line road helmet and a top of the line mountainbike helmet.

One has more coverage, one has less.
One is more sweaty, one is less.
One is more aero, one is less

Maybe roadies crash less often, or don't tumble and catch the back of their heads?
Would you say these helmets are suitable for all riding?


Thanks Mudguard.
Some here have a strange approach to answering newbees questions, why they see the need to call people who ask questions 'dumb' I don't know. Why do these retards think the forum is here? Oh well, I'm sure they feel superior and get a kick out of it, to bad they have now shown their lack of intelligence. They best stick to peddling their tricycles.

Anyway, thanks Mudguard and others, that seems to have cleared up the question, wear what you like. I just wanted to rule out any possible problems such as vision before making a purchase.
bikedog
User avatar
Member for: 4 years 3 months

Re: Road Helmet V Mountain Bike Helmet

Postby bikedog on Sat 23/Apr/16 12:03pm

dwgknz wrote:Why come on here and ask a questions if you've got all the answers already? Just fucks everyone off when they try to help and you just want to argue with their answers.......


Grow up.
bikedog
User avatar
Member for: 4 years 3 months

Re: Road Helmet V Mountain Bike Helmet

Postby shmoodiver on Sat 23/Apr/16 1:18pm

Needs handbag emoticon
shmoodiver
User avatar
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 11 months

Re: Road Helmet V Mountain Bike Helmet

Postby AgrAde on Sat 23/Apr/16 2:12pm

bikedog wrote:If you are really that dumb, and cannot think that a footpath curb can easily represent your rock, you are as dumb as a drum of rocks. Have another think muffin. And next time you reply to someone, consider being polite or not bother. Your type wreck forums.


It's all about probability, and trade-offs for other benefits. Setters of safety standards/Product designers that have actually done their research (unlike you) have come to the conclusion that the coverage is sufficient for road use. It's not about your opinion, and it's not about my opinion. We're simply telling you how it is - which is what you asked for.

Let's summarise what happened here:

-You wanted to know the reasons that the bike industry considers the helmets to be different.
-We gave you the reasons that the bike industry uses to justify the difference.
-You didn't think those reasons were good enough, and talked down to everyone that supplied you with this information while disregarding everything that anyone said.
-Everyone decided that perhaps you're a bit of a tool.

I wreck forums? :lol: You're the one that has everyone wondering why the hell you're even here. Why are you here, if you don't see the value in anything that anyone else says?
AgrAde
User avatar
Member for: 14 years 8 months

Re: Road Helmet V Mountain Bike Helmet

Postby wachtourak on Sat 23/Apr/16 3:48pm

bikedog wrote:
AgrAde wrote:
bikedog wrote:
Conners wrote:
bikedog wrote:We're getting somewhere now...
So it's a vision thing then.....roadies look to the horizon more, while Mounties look down at the terrain?

And different protection as mentioned above.


Different protection, yeah right, that's a joke. It's your head, it either protects it, or it doesn't. I'm not entertaining that foolish comment for one moment.

So really, there's no reason a mountain bike helmet cannot be used for commuter cycling then. At least several long standing members can come up with no logical answer.


If you're as dumb as a box of rocks then I guess you could come to that conclusion.

Imagine falling on a flat road. There's only so many ways that your head can hit the ground, because your body is in the way - you're probably only really going to hit the top of your head, or the top sides. Now imagine falling into a rock garden. The helmet needs to cover more of your head because it's possible to hit lower on your forehead, lower on the sides of your head and lower on the back of your head due to a protruding rock.



Road helmets are frikken incredible at protecting your head while falling on a road. But if a rock hits low they're absolutely useless. They're designed for aero, for going fast, and not getting in the way of your view when you're in a forward riding position.

Mtb helmets are better at random falls on uneven terrain. They're not designed for aero, are more designed for scooping in as much air as possible for ventilation. They are better at shading your eyes from the sun in an MTB riding position, which isn't good in a forward roadie riding position.

Of course both helmets work okay for both uses, and no one gives a fuck what you commute with, but if you're asking why they're separated in a bike shop then you got your answer three times over and chose to ignore it. If i go into a bike shop looking for a mtb helmet, i don't want to sort through a bunch of high sitting road shite just to find what I want. And if I want to buy a road helmet I don't want to sort through the draggy, low visibility mtb shite either. Hopefully that answers your question.


If you are really that dumb, and cannot think that a footpath curb can easily represent your rock, you are as dumb as a drum of rocks. Have another think muffin. And next time you reply to someone, consider being polite or not bother. Your type wreck forums.



What a fucking sooker
wachtourak
User avatar
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Re: Road Helmet V Mountain Bike Helmet

Postby bikedog on Sat 23/Apr/16 5:05pm

AgrAde wrote:
bikedog wrote:If you are really that dumb, and cannot think that a footpath curb can easily represent your rock, you are as dumb as a drum of rocks. Have another think muffin. And next time you reply to someone, consider being polite or not bother. Your type wreck forums.


It's all about probability, and trade-offs for other benefits. Setters of safety standards/Product designers that have actually done their research (unlike you) have come to the conclusion that the coverage is sufficient for road use. It's not about your opinion, and it's not about my opinion. We're simply telling you how it is - which is what you asked for.

Let's summarise what happened here:

-You wanted to know the reasons that the bike industry considers the helmets to be different.
-We gave you the reasons that the bike industry uses to justify the difference.
-You didn't think those reasons were good enough, and talked down to everyone that supplied you with this information while disregarding everything that anyone said.
-Everyone decided that perhaps you're a bit of a tool.

I wreck forums? :lol: You're the one that has everyone wondering why the hell you're even here. Why are you here, if you don't see the value in anything that anyone else says?

One of the handles on your handbag is broken lady :p
bikedog
User avatar
Member for: 4 years 3 months

Re: Road Helmet V Mountain Bike Helmet

Postby bikedog on Sat 23/Apr/16 5:09pm

wachtourak wrote:
bikedog wrote:
AgrAde wrote:
bikedog wrote:
Conners wrote:
bikedog wrote:We're getting somewhere now...
So it's a vision thing then.....roadies look to the horizon more, while Mounties look down at the terrain?

And different protection as mentioned above.


Different protection, yeah right, that's a joke. It's your head, it either protects it, or it doesn't. I'm not entertaining that foolish comment for one moment.

So really, there's no reason a mountain bike helmet cannot be used for commuter cycling then. At least several long standing members can come up with no logical answer.


If you're as dumb as a box of rocks then I guess you could come to that conclusion.

Imagine falling on a flat road. There's only so many ways that your head can hit the ground, because your body is in the way - you're probably only really going to hit the top of your head, or the top sides. Now imagine falling into a rock garden. The helmet needs to cover more of your head because it's possible to hit lower on your forehead, lower on the sides of your head and lower on the back of your head due to a protruding rock.



Road helmets are frikken incredible at protecting your head while falling on a road. But if a rock hits low they're absolutely useless. They're designed for aero, for going fast, and not getting in the way of your view when you're in a forward riding position.

Mtb helmets are better at random falls on uneven terrain. They're not designed for aero, are more designed for scooping in as much air as possible for ventilation. They are better at shading your eyes from the sun in an MTB riding position, which isn't good in a forward roadie riding position.

Of course both helmets work okay for both uses, and no one gives a fuck what you commute with, but if you're asking why they're separated in a bike shop then you got your answer three times over and chose to ignore it. If i go into a bike shop looking for a mtb helmet, i don't want to sort through a bunch of high sitting road shite just to find what I want. And if I want to buy a road helmet I don't want to sort through the draggy, low visibility mtb shite either. Hopefully that answers your question.


If you are really that dumb, and cannot think that a footpath curb can easily represent your rock, you are as dumb as a drum of rocks. Have another think muffin. And next time you reply to someone, consider being polite or not bother. Your type wreck forums.



What a fucking sooker


Thanks for your useful contribution.
bikedog
User avatar
Member for: 4 years 3 months

Re: Road Helmet V Mountain Bike Helmet

Postby Wobbler on Sat 23/Apr/16 6:17pm

This thread is great and I thank you for making it bikedog mate.
Wobbler
User avatar
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Re: Road Helmet V Mountain Bike Helmet

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sat 23/Apr/16 6:28pm

Conners wrote:I suggest bikedog purchases a Simpson drag racing helmet for commuting duties - I don't think he should risk any further brain damage.


But will it fit over his tinfoil hat?
What a champ this bikedog is.
Astoria Paranoia
User avatar
Member for: 16 years 0 months

Re: Road Helmet V Mountain Bike Helmet

Postby wachtourak on Sat 23/Apr/16 6:43pm

bikedog = best troll in a while
wachtourak
User avatar
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling - Latest Posts

Who is online

49 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 45 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle