The Tour Aotearoa 2016 Live Tracking

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Thu 18/Feb/16 1:44pm

The first wave of 100 riders sets off from Cape Reinga at 12 o'clock noon, this Sunday (21st) on a 3000 km brevet from Cape Reinga to Bluff for the inaugural Tour Aotearoa 2016.

The course will follow the route described in the 3rd edition of Classic New Zealand Cycle Trails. The route has been updated to include several sections of new cycle trail that where completed before the start.

The second wave sets off 2pm, Tuesday 23rd Feb 2016 and the third and last wave on 2:30pm, Wednesday 24th Feb .

Watch the blue dots fly and join in the conversation, Live from Sunday noon onwards.

TA2016.png
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Re: The Tour Aotearoa 2016 Live Tracking

Postby Rik on Sun 21/Feb/16 12:18pm

It's hard to tell, but I think they're off!
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Trail on Mon 22/Feb/16 10:11am

Hot dang. I just realised that the course comes within a block of my office - and close to where I live too. I may have to go out and do beer handups when they are coming past!
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Trail on Mon 22/Feb/16 10:12am

Hmm at the rate they are going I will need to be out doing beer handups this arvo!
Trail

noel_whiteside
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby mfw on Mon 22/Feb/16 1:09pm

Lead bunch seems quite spread out considering they're on the water :D

Anyone know what happened to Dave Sharpe? Was looking forward to seeing him keeping Ollie honest at the Sharpe end. :rolleyes:
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Rik on Mon 22/Feb/16 1:41pm

mfw wrote:Lead bunch seems quite spread out considering they're on the water :D

Thats the "predicted Mode" trying to work out where they are in real time in-between spot checkins
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby noel_whiteside on Mon 22/Feb/16 2:19pm

I'm sitting in work watching the dots on my screen and wishing I was riding through Northland at the moment.
Might have to get myself organized and do the Kiwi Brevet next summer.
noel_whiteside
Member for: 10 years 2 months

Postby Rik on Mon 22/Feb/16 2:27pm

noel_whiteside wrote:I'm sitting in work watching the dots on my screen and wishing I was riding through Northland at the moment.

:withstupid:
Rik

Postby jo on Mon 22/Feb/16 2:32pm

Crikey, they are nearly at Auckland. :blink:
jo
"Windy"
Member for: 14 years 4 months

Postby happybaboon on Mon 22/Feb/16 2:36pm

This guy's already in the south island... :o
A male cyclist wearing only a helmet, shoes and a leopard print G-string was turning heads as he biked along State Highway 6 in Marlborough.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/7713001 ... almost-all
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby mfw on Mon 22/Feb/16 4:09pm

noel_whiteside wrote:I'm sitting in work watching the dots on my screen and wishing I was riding through Northland at the moment.

:thumbsup:

I have been mulling the idea of having a 'ramp up' brevet, where the first few days have max riding time limits of less than 18 hours/day (current brevet rules), e.g. increasing daily limits of 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 hours.
Rationale:
- reduce the drop-out rate (often greater than 50%) due to injury, I reckon many riders are under-trained starting these events
- reduce the training barrier to entry

At KB2014 I had to ride at ride at 13 hours/day from the start to make it in inside the cutoff, this felt like dusk to dawn riding (once you add in daily time to setup / packup camp) and caused my achilles and knee to pack up on day 6. Met many other riders that year that had to bail due to knee injuries etc.

Also like the idea of a Mountain biking brevet (more singletrack proportion), e.g. top of south: Queen Charlotte Walkway > Queen Charlotte Drive > Nydia > Manguatapu > Nelson > Rameka > Heaphy
Heaphy requires bookings of course though so probably not practical.
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby dave_sharpe on Mon 22/Feb/16 6:54pm

mfw wrote:Lead bunch seems quite spread out considering they're on the water :D

Anyone know what happened to Dave Sharpe? Was looking forward to seeing him keeping Ollie honest at the Sharpe end. :rolleyes:

Hey hey! I decided not to participate in this event and maybe do it myself next summer - I'd prefer to fly under the radar if I do it, very difficult in this event with the media coverage, social media hype, etc - not my bag, baby. Also, I need a goal to motivate me, so a "record" being set for the course would help, too ;) I wonder if this'll become a local version of the Tour Divide, in that randoms turn up and knock out individual time trial efforts just for shits and giggles - that'd be cool!
dave_sharpe
Member for: 3 years 1 month

Postby dave_sharpe on Mon 22/Feb/16 6:58pm

mfw wrote:

I have been mulling the idea of having a 'ramp up' brevet, where the first few days have max riding time limits of less than 18 hours/day (current brevet rules), e.g. increasing daily limits of 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18 hours.
Rationale:
- reduce the drop-out rate (often greater than 50%) due to injury, I reckon many riders are under-trained starting these events

At KB2014 I had to ride at ride at 13 hours/day from the start to make it in inside the cutoff, this felt like dusk to dawn riding (once you add in daily time to setup / packup camp) and caused my achilles and knee to pack up on day 6. Met many other riders that year that had to bail due to knee injuries etc.

Also like the idea of a Mountain biking brevet (more singletrack proportion), e.g. top of south: Queen Charlotte Walkway > Queen Charlotte Drive > Nydia > Manguatapu > Nelson > Rameka > Heaphy

I think some riders adopt a strategy similar to that for things like the KB and GSB - starting out a little conservatively, then ramping it up and romping home.

With regard to the singletrack style, I've been looking at a mission around the top of the south for a while, now...

Picton -> Waikakaho -> Wakamarina -> Nydia Bay (Backwards) -> Maungatapu -> Barron Flat -> Flora Saddle -> Rameka -> Heaphy -> Charming Creek -> Denniston Shortcut -> Braeburn/Porika -> Rainbow -> Molesworth -> Port Underwood. Fuck, some of that would rule, but the final two days would be MISERABLE hahaha :lol:
dave_sharpe
Member for: 3 years 1 month

Postby Trail on Mon 22/Feb/16 10:26pm

dave_sharpe wrote:
mfw wrote:

Rationale:

I think some riders adopt a strategy similar to that for things like the KB and GSB - starting out a little conservatively, then ramping it up and romping home.

With regard to the singletrack style, I've been looking at a mission around the top of the south for a while, now...

Picton -> Waikakaho -> Wakamarina -> Nydia Bay (Backwards) -> Maungatapu -> Barron Flat -> Flora Saddle -> Rameka -> Heaphy -> Charming Creek -> Denniston Shortcut -> Braeburn/Porika -> Rainbow -> Molesworth -> Port Underwood. Fuck, some of that would rule, but the final two days would be MISERABLE hahaha :lol:

Nydia works fine backwards.

How about Old Ghost backwards instead of Denniston shortcut? :eh:
Trail

Cycling | Epic Riding | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts