Worsley/mcvicar Forest Chch

Postby onemoretime on Sun 7/Feb/16 2:29pm

Hi all,

I'm a XC rider who's just moved down to Chch. Heard about some trails up in Worsley's/McVicar's forest so went up for an explore. Tons and tons of trails up in there which was awesome to see but most of them seemed very DH-oriented. Plenty of time pushing back up tracks or walking down some obstacles. My 100mm travel didn't quite seem enough...

Are there any more XC-type trails in there? Or is it all DH/AM type riding?

Cheers! :)
onemoretime
Member for: 1 year 8 months

notanotherhillscoach
"take my advice, I don't need it..."
Member for: 7 years 9 months

Re: Worsley/mcvicar Forest Chch

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sun 7/Feb/16 2:51pm

notanotherhillscoach wrote:http://www.trailforks.com/region/port-hills-west/

There's a lot more than 2 trails in Worsleys champ ;)

From my riding there, all of it is what I'd class as aggressive trail riding or more.
Nothing that I'd call 'XC'
I'm coming back from a hand injury and know it's just too steep and rough there to head back there anytime soon :huh:
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby AgrAde on Sun 7/Feb/16 6:11pm

Virtually all the trails in there are gravity trails. The hills in general are lacking what I'd consider "XC" trails really, with the exception of kennedy's bush area, parts of the summit traverse, and over in living springs.

Time for an AM bike? :thumbsup:
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby swtchbckr on Sun 7/Feb/16 9:46pm

Time to push yourself a little harder? A 100mm might handle many of those trails fine, if you can. Shorter stem, wider bars? New (bigger) fork??? Time to get more aggressive?? The slightly lesser steep trails - Tommy's (avoiding the jumps) and the 'original' track ((past Tommy's, Wasabi, Basically simple) down to the cliff top) are pretty much it. Or, get used to the steep stuff. Walk the worst bits a few times then one day blow yourself away and just ride them!. - Follow someone who can ride the harder stuff down and you'll see how it's done and find it easier and you might get them 2 out of 3 times then eventually every time... There are sections of Mooseknuckle and Alice's that still get me pretty much every time - i wuss out and walk a bit... but there's other bits on other trails I used to wuss out that I don't even think about now.

To me the whole area has got some of the best riding Christchurch has to offer - shame to miss out, considering it could all be knocked over or knocked out any day now with the new Park's regime rolling in soon... We lost access to that area several years ago, and it took a couple of years before we were back in there again. How much of it will survive the changes coming?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Tue 9/Feb/16 4:56pm

swtchbckr wrote:
To me the whole area has got some of the best riding Christchurch has to offer - shame to miss out, considering it could all be knocked over or knocked out any day now with the new Park's regime rolling in soon... We lost access to that area several years ago, and it took a couple of years before we were back in there again. How much of it will survive the changes coming?

Love it while you can, whilst the park will be great i cant hep but think all those great tracks will be replaced with some nice all weather PC/OSH friendly wide tracks.
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 9/Feb/16 5:40pm

Most (all?) of the planned trails are east of Yoda, so there's no real reason to screw with the existing trails for the moment. I've got my fingers crossed they'll just quietly leave it alone and it'll be an "in the know" locals area.
AgrAde

Postby slowMTB on Tue 9/Feb/16 5:45pm

RHR_Rob wrote:
swtchbckr wrote:

Love it while you can, whilst the park will be great i cant hep but think all those great tracks will be replaced with some nice all weather PC/OSH friendly wide tracks.

"nice all weather PC / OSH friendly wide tracks :love:
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby dwgknz on Tue 9/Feb/16 6:11pm

slowMTB wrote:"nice all weather PC / OSH friendly wide tracks :love:

I think you mean a "flow" track.....
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby slowMTB on Tue 9/Feb/16 6:24pm

dwgknz wrote:

Flows good :cool:
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 9/Feb/16 9:06pm

slowMTB wrote:
dwgknz wrote:

flow is good, but a couple times down Hammy's in QT and I was starting to get bored.

I'm with Agrade, fingers crossed they'll leave most of what's in there alone. I did hear they'd be putting a climbing track up through that zone, but that shouldn't affect the 'aggressive' tracks...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby RHR_Rob on Tue 9/Feb/16 10:36pm

swtchbckr wrote:
slowMTB wrote:
dwgknz wrote:

flow is good, but a couple times down Hammy's in QT and I was starting to get bored.

I'm with Agrade, fingers crossed they'll leave most of what's in there alone. I did hear they'd be putting a climbing track up through that zone, but that shouldn't affect the 'aggressive' tracks...

The tracks that are in there wont last 2 mins when all the hundreds of riders come from all over the world and want to ride in all weathers, IMHO the soil wont take the traffic and it will have to be overlayed with hardcore of some sort.
RHR_Rob
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 9/Feb/16 11:13pm

I'm counting on it not getting as much traffic as the main park area. We should probably start hiding all the entrances :sly:

There's always the other-other-side where braille trail is. Not sure how legit the access is though.
AgrAde

Postby Slim on Wed 10/Feb/16 7:10am

all of the access up there is less than legit.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby sweep on Wed 10/Feb/16 3:23pm

The trail map I've seen looks like a couple of tracks might run close to "throw the goat" and "T2", it would be a shame to lose them.
sweep
Member for: 3 years 2 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | Sifting | Vorb - Latest Posts