Where In The House Should Technogeekery Live?

Postby Scotty on Sun 24/Jan/16 6:58am

We're gonna do renovations.

LOTS of renovations.

While in a moment of quiet contemplation, thinking about pulling cat5 through the walls, a thought crossed my mind: where do I put the router? If in the future, I decide to run a dedicated server should it live in the kitchen, the garage, the roof, or a dedicated cupboard?

I realize this all sounds a bit weird and extreme, however, I also didn't expect to have to upgrade our router every couple of years to cope with the number of devices being added and the data they're pushing.

At the moment the router lives in the kitchen, so I can see what it's doing with a cursory glance and a server in the garage, but it's a pain in the arse whenever I need to do something with the server.

I was wondering what other peeps do.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Re: Where In The House Should Technogeekery Live?

Postby adikt on Sun 24/Jan/16 7:54am

If you can swing it, dedicated comms cabinet (preferably with some for of cooling/venting) central in the house.

If not, comms cabinet in garage, with wifi gear thru the house if signal isn't strong enough.

If you're gonna run cat5, try to run conduit first, and a spare cable pulling wire/string to make life easier when (not if) you upgrade/need to run extra wiring later.
adikt
Member for: 2 years 8 months

Postby AgrAde on Sun 24/Jan/16 9:01am

I have a little cab in the garage with cat5e to every room, and two to the lounge. 3 would be better. WAP is under a couch in the lounge.

Pretty dusty in the garage but having everything out of the way is nice. You should just remote to the server anyway? :thumbsup:
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Scotty on Sun 24/Jan/16 9:21am

AgrAde wrote:You should just remote to the server anyway? :thumbsup:

Duurrrr. Yeah. :blush:

I should stop being lazy and sort that out.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby AgrAde on Sun 24/Jan/16 10:42am

Another thing to think about is heat. It's hot in garages, so your server might get lightly toasted in there. It could also cook itself in a completely enclosed cupboard. If inside the thermal envelope of the house then it'll be heating the house. Depends how much network gear you have and how much your server is doing.

You can run conduit to make it easier to pull wires, but as a sparky I never bothered to, even knowing we were coming back to add more cable after the house was finished. 25mm holes through all the dwangs in a vertical line, use a length of cat5 as a draw cable tied to a truss or something in the roof running down to the flush box and as long as you tape it on properly and feed it smoothly it's just as easy without the conduit.
AgrAde

Postby phunk on Sun 24/Jan/16 12:47pm

Would be worth checking where fibre would come in if you are not lit up already so you can colocate with that equpment.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby philstar on Sun 24/Jan/16 1:06pm

AgrAde wrote:Another thing to think about is heat. It's hot in garages, so your server might get lightly toasted in there. It could also cook itself in a completely enclosed cupboard. If inside the thermal envelope of the house then it'll be heating the house. Depends how much network gear you have and how much your server is doing.

You can run conduit to make it easier to pull wires, but as a sparky I never bothered to, even knowing we were coming back to add more cable after the house was finished. 25mm holes through all the dwangs in a vertical line, use a length of cat5 as a draw cable tied to a truss or something in the roof running down to the flush box and as long as you tape it on properly and feed it smoothly it's just as easy without the conduit.

:withstupid:

make sure the draw wire (or strong string ) is twice the length of the run (with a loop in the middle to attache new draws to). and secure each end you can just pull it back and forward

hall closet/cupboard is where i would put my "comms cabinet" and server, if i had a choice. mine (NAS, gigabit switch, UPS (so the NAS shuts down properly, perked from work) and wireless router) is currently in the laundry.

I would wire RG6/rg59 to the same place, if you are running it.

I would also consider running wifi aerial wires if you think you may have trouble with reception, get a router with external aerials (I have never tried this though), but it is probably easier to run range extenders. but it would open up the option of directional aerials if you have line of site to somewhere you want home wifi access.

phunk wrote:Would be worth checking where fibre would come in if you are not lit up already so you can colocate with that equpment.

good point, worth checking if you can get the fiber run to wherever you want your "comms cabinet" (this is where i would put a conduit) or if they want the connection on the outside of your house (in which case you will want to run power there now)
my friend had the power switch to his on the front wall of his (rented) house, that any miscreant could come along and turn it off.
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby laworder on Sun 24/Jan/16 1:25pm

Up in the roof you will definitely have heat issues - we have an HRV with a temperature readout, the other days was showing close to 50 C up there. The garage is also going to be hot, plus you may also have issues with dust and vermin. Rat shit and piss and servers not a good combo

Our router and so on all live behind an armchair in the lounge, just happens to be where one of the primary jackpoints is for the DSL. Its ideal as its cool, shaded, hidden but easily accessibe by simply moving said armchair, and the location means we have good wifi all through the house
laworder
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Postby neels on Mon 25/Jan/16 9:38am

The brains of my network and the printers live in the cupboard under the stairs in the middle of the house, can wifi anywhere in the house from there, but not to the caravan in the driveway much to my son's disappointment when he was dossing out there when we had visitors. Makes it easy having the bits in the house if I need to look at it, and nice and clean, and handy to get to when the internet needs to be unplugged to encourage the younger members of the family to emerge from their rooms.

Cat5 from bedrooms and living rooms and above cupboard are connected to a patch panel in the garage because it was easier to get cables to there, only the networks switch lives out there though.
neels
"I've got opinions, that don't make any sense"
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby Slim on Mon 25/Jan/16 10:10am

new house has a fibre ready patch panel in the garage, and stuff like the wifi router and printer will live in a office shaped cupboard off the lounge.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby danose on Mon 25/Jan/16 4:57pm

AgrAde wrote:I have a little cab in the garage with cat5e to every room, and two to the lounge. 3 would be better. WAP is under a couch in the lounge.

you realise your couch (and the people on it) are probably doing nothing for your signal/range :satan:

ideal solution - comms cabinet somewhere out of the way (under stairs or next to hot water cyl are other options to garage) - cat5e (or cat6 if you think you may one day want 10gbe) back to the wall sockets in the house (for wired gear) and a few extra runs to the roof spaces, with access points (multiple) sitting in the roof space. This gets around the issue of signal penetration trying to run just ONE ap (which is only going to get worse with 11ad).

other thing is to ask yourself 'do I really need wired GBe' - in reality modern wifi (as in ac2400+) is pretty good, even with multiple clients streaming off a central NAS, saves wall sockets and cables in the house.
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby philstar on Mon 25/Jan/16 6:28pm

danose wrote:ideal solution - comms cabinet somewhere out of the way (under stairs or next to hot water cyl are other options to garage) - cat5e (or cat6 if you think you may one day want 10gbe) back to the wall sockets in the house (for wired gear) and a few extra runs to the roof spaces, with access points (multiple) sitting in the roof space. This gets around the issue of signal penetration trying to run just ONE ap (which is only going to get worse with 11ad).

have you tried using multiple external aerials of a single access point?

danose wrote:other thing is to ask yourself 'do I really need wired GBe' - in reality modern wifi (as in ac2400+) is pretty good, even with multiple clients streaming off a central NAS, saves wall sockets and cables in the house.

do TVs come without WiFi? frineds have an older TV with wired network buy wireless is an (expensive) optional extra
some other AV equipment (like receivers) comes without WiFi.

I have a VOIP phone with ATA hardware in the router, and I can just patch that through the wiring to where i want my phone (which reminds me now that i have moved my NAS i can move my phone to a better place :) )
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby danose on Tue 26/Jan/16 9:01am

philstar wrote:have you tried using multiple external aerials of a single access point?

Worked well on 2.4g in the G era, but not worth it now I reckon, 5ghz just doesn't like walls that much, multiple APs is a much better solution

do TVs come without WiFi? frineds have an older TV with wired network buy wireless is an (expensive) optional extra
some other AV equipment (like receivers) comes without WiFi.

No need to buy expensive 'genuine' wifi adaptors, a suitable AP/router with 'wireless client bridge' mode is easier and handles multiple boxes. Linksys still do a dedicated one (the wumc710) but I don't recommend it (got one in a box, firmware is bugtastic and despite still being sold Linksys aren't keen to fix/update the fw) - plenty of current AC routers/aps have it as an option, and including a lot of the really cheap tplinks (if you flash them with tomato or openwrt)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 26/Jan/16 9:45am

danose wrote:
AgrAde wrote:I have a little cab in the garage with cat5e to every room, and two to the lounge. 3 would be better. WAP is under a couch in the lounge.

you realise your couch (and the people on it) are probably doing nothing for your signal/range :satan:

Still goes to the whole section no worries so I'm not too concerned. Speeds don't matter because all the real devices are using gigabit.
AgrAde

Postby Dougal on Tue 26/Jan/16 6:35pm

For your house Scotty (unless you just bought a new one) I'd go downstairs in the garage with a dedicated cabinet with patch panel. It's close to central.

Then you can either trunk it up to the ceiling upstairs in one pipe (so you can add more later) or just punch up through the floor as required.

Putting in enough data points can be a major task. I've got 31 flush boxes in the new office and the same in the new workshop. Any can be changed from nothing to power or data or whatever they invent next year.

Other hot tip. CAT 5E is for all intents and purposes the same speed as CAT 6 but is a huge amount easier to terminate. CAT6 has a X shaped divider inside which is a PITA to trim back for each joint. It also makes it less flexible when you're trying to fit 4x RJ45 jacks into a single face plate.
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts