Cheap Cyclocross Recommendations

Postby Scotty on Mon 18/Jan/16 6:57am

This morning Celia and myself were having a wee chat about riding with the kids and how our nice shiny mountainbikes aren't really kid friendly, the new half-bike we just bought clamps onto our super-duper expensive dropper posts and trying to attach the chariot we have to the back of a 142x12 specced rear end is niggly as well.

The roadies we have are cool too, but riding them on the rail trail and whatnot doesn't sound like much fun... or very good for them.

Sooooo eyeing the opportunity for n+1, I thought a couple of cheap cyclo-cross frames or bikes would be the go. Frame or complete bike because we don't ride our roadies much these days.

Cheap because, well, we're cheap.

Maybe something like a surly straggler? http://surlybikes.com/bikes/straggler

Is there much else out there?
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Re: Cheap Cyclocross Recommendations

Postby Slim on Mon 18/Jan/16 8:47am

I bought a second hand cannondale CX bike for gravel road bashing, in reality I probably ride my hardtail for that sort of stuff more because there is often parts of the ride that are a bit more comfortable with a suspension fork.

I did look at ditching the roadie and just having the CX, but the missus is fast now so need a proper roadie so I don't need to work too hard.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby dwgknz on Mon 18/Jan/16 9:32am

I hated the thought of the forces of pulling a trailer could do to a bike so put a beater together on a Hardrock frame. Couldn't bear to spend a whole lot of money to have the trailer hitch ram through the spokes one day.

Wouldn't a cheap and solid 26er be an option for towing?
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby Trail on Mon 18/Jan/16 9:37am

dwgknz wrote:I hated the thought of the forces of pulling a trailer could do to a bike so put a beater together on a Hardrock frame. Couldn't bear to spend a whole lot of money to have the trailer hitch ram through the spokes one day.

Wouldn't a cheap and solid 26er be an option for towing?

Yeh... but you can CX race a CX bike much better if the desire takes. Cheap and solid 26 is definitely the cheap option but CX is an option that gives you more options...

I picked up a Giant TCX for a grand almost a year ago. Has been great. Is a 56 if you wanted a deal on it?
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Postby Scotty on Mon 18/Jan/16 11:45am

Zane's locked into my way of thinking. :)

I'm bottomed-out financially at the mo, but send me the deets on that bike and I'll have a look dude.
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby dave_sharpe on Mon 18/Jan/16 12:26pm

More along the lines of "cheap" rather than "cyclocross", I've been on a SS Kona Paddy Wagon for about 5 years now, and it's awesome. Can fit 32c tyres in just fine, steel frame, etc etc. Picked it up for about $350 second hand, and have subsequently spent about $50 over 5 years. While not a dedicated CX rig (too heavy, wrong geo, SS) it's actually pretty great fun for what it is...
dave_sharpe
Member for: 3 years 1 month

Postby thorg on Tue 19/Jan/16 11:14am

Do you want a CX bike you occasionally cart the sprogs with, or a bike to cart the sprogs that you 'may' at some point do a cx race on?

Cheap option is to get a post and seat (with trailer bike hitch mounted) to swap out with a current bike, solves the dropper issues. Unless you have internal cables. Full outer and taped to the frame, it's off with the remote, post out, new post in, and away. Leave it set up the way you use it most.

Then it's just a bike for the trailer.

Needs to be over braked, and super stiff (ideally), with larger volume tyre capability, low gearing (for your hill), and rack mounts make the bike more flexible for other duties. I'd be looking at a basic touring frame, with disc brakes. People run all sorts at cx races, decent wheels to drop on and no one would be able to tell the difference as you blast by. Except the snobs and the haters, and they can fuck right off.

But if you want a CX bike just because, then that's reason enough.
thorg
"what blog?"
Member for: 13 years 5 months

Postby dwgknz on Wed 27/Jan/16 12:16pm

Cheap today on Torpedo 7 KHS Grit
dwgknz

Postby Malcy on Wed 27/Jan/16 3:10pm

dwgknz wrote:Cheap today on Torpedo 7 KHS Grit

I was looking at that bad boy today, also.

Gah. Need to save some spendies. I have a major overhaul to do on the racing XC before Karapoti, otherwise....
Malcy
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby nostromo on Wed 27/Jan/16 11:40pm

Malcy wrote:

Gah. Need to save some spendies. I have a major overhaul to do on the racing XC before Karapoti, otherwise....

I got the CX100 from them last year which is essentially that bike but with 105 shifters, gears and shimano cable brakes. Been using it as a commuter every week for a year now and apart from the evil seat which caused numbness and which I had to swap I'm very happy with the bike.
nostromo
":-("
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Postby happybaboon on Thu 28/Jan/16 1:30am

dwgknz wrote:

I'm pretty pissed to have bought the $1100 Jamis Exile from evo cycles days before.....

BUT it's a nice looking bike.... And nice wheels. Tubeless 32mm smooth wheels = the buzniss I reckon..... :huh:
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 8 months

Postby Conners on Thu 28/Jan/16 7:08am

Malcy wrote:

I missed the comma before 'otherwise' and thought you were planing on racing Karapoti on a CX bike as an alternative to doing the overhaul on your XC bike...
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Rik on Thu 28/Jan/16 8:54am

dwgknz wrote:

And remember by buying via this link, you help to keep vorb going for another week. priceless!
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby dave_sharpe on Thu 28/Jan/16 9:29am

Conners wrote:
Malcy wrote:

I missed the comma before 'otherwise' and thought you were planing on racing Karapoti on a CX bike as an alternative to doing the overhaul on your XC bike...

It's not that bad on a CX bike - and this would be the year to do it with how smooth it is out there
dave_sharpe
Member for: 3 years 1 month

Postby dwgknz on Thu 28/Jan/16 11:38pm

happybaboon wrote:
dwgknz wrote:

I'm pretty pissed to have bought the $1100 Jamis Exile from evo cycles days before.....

BUT it's a nice looking bike.... And nice wheels. Tubeless 32mm smooth wheels = the buzniss I reckon..... :huh:

Yeah, the CGA is a pile of shit for stuff like this. I hate the "we will meet our obligations under the CGA". In the UK you get 14 days after you receive an online purchase to send it back for a refund.
dwgknz

Cycling | Cyclocross | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts