27plus - Yeah Right

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Tue 5/Jan/16 6:20pm

There comes a time in your life when you are an old bastard.
This time has come for me.
I have the balls to think I'm being all flash by going for the newfangled (or oldfangled) 650b/27.5
How cool will I be with all the other kids?

Except its not anymore.

Fat tyres on a 29er frame and 27inch wheels
yeah right

Is it anything more that yet another dollar eating fad for geezers with too much money and not enough riding time to get fit?

Tell me.
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Re: 27plus - Yeah Right

Postby AgrAde on Tue 5/Jan/16 7:28pm

You can rest easy - 27.B+ isn't "cool".

Apparently they're pretty good as long as you don't rip corners. I wouldn't mind having a bit more tire. I'm hoping it encourages "normal" bikes to be a bit less stingy with the tire clearances, without having to go to a separate category of bike with 3.5" clearance at the detriment of geometry.

With the low pressures you need to make a 3" or larger tire work, they feel gross in turns regardless of rim width.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby adikt on Tue 5/Jan/16 7:31pm

I dunno, I had a bit of a fang on a specialized 6fattie and actually found it really confidence inspiring.

Could push a *lot* harder than on my trail bike, never got close to finding the end of the extra grip around the corners.

That seems to be roughly the outcome of a lot of reviews I've seen too. A little slow to get up to speed (similar to 29er) but rolls through everything (again, like 29er) but extra grip from the wider tyres, etc without going crazy 29+ size/weight.
adikt
Member for: 2 years 8 months

Postby mudguard on Tue 5/Jan/16 8:04pm

adikt wrote:I dunno, I had a bit of a fang on a specialized 6fattie and actually found it really confidence inspiring.

Could push a *lot* harder than on my trail bike, never got close to finding the end of the extra grip around the corners.

That seems to be roughly the outcome of a lot of reviews I've seen too. A little slow to get up to speed (similar to 29er) but rolls through everything (again, like 29er) but extra grip from the wider tyres, etc without going crazy 29+ size/weight.

Surely this would then be perfect for DH? Though I just visualize the bike beeing super squirmy.
NB. I find this messing with wheelsize and widths genuinely a bit odd. 29, yes I can see dedicated XC bikes being quicker but it seems like everything inbetween is just bike industry faffing.
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby mudguard on Tue 5/Jan/16 8:05pm

adikt wrote:I dunno, I had a bit of a fang on a specialized 6fattie and actually found it really confidence inspiring.

Surely this would then be perfect for DH? Though I just visualize the bike beeing super squirmy.
NB. I find this messing with wheelsize and widths genuinely a bit odd. 29, yes I can see dedicated XC bikes being quicker but it seems like everything inbetween is just bike industry faffing.
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby adikt on Tue 5/Jan/16 8:27pm

mudguard wrote:Surely this would then be perfect for DH? Though I just visualize the bike beeing super squirmy.

Apparently a few XC racers have done fairly well on 27plus bikes.

Damned if I can find what I was reading this morning now though. Was on one of the bigger MTB sites (vital/bikeradar/pinkbike/etc)
adikt
Member for: 2 years 8 months

Postby JRA on Wed 6/Jan/16 7:22am

Firstly, don't believe what you read on the Internet. Secondly, ride one and then decide if it works for you.
I've met a lot of people recently that have changed their preconceived opinion after actually riding a 27plus bike.
JRA
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby great uncle bulgaria on Wed 6/Jan/16 10:26pm

but the interwebs is always true . . . . . .

just wondering what the folks thought . . . .;-)
great uncle bulgaria
""misunderstood and persecuted""
Member for: 6 years 11 months

Complete Wheels | Cycling | MTB Complete Wheels | Wheels - Latest Posts