This topic has not been added to any channels. This will make it hard for users to find. Type relevant channels into the Add Channel box to add them.

which foot forward?

Left
60%
Right
13%
Middle
7%
Pies
20%

Total voters : 15

Which Foot Forward?

Postby mudlover/hater on Sat 2/Jan/16 12:03pm

More out of interest than anything else. .. I tried coasting with my right foot forward the other day to see if it was as easy and natural as my usual left but it definitely wasn't. ..

Just seeing if there's a majority or a even-ish spread. ..
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 7 years 6 months

Re: Which Foot Forward?

Postby Conners on Sat 2/Jan/16 12:25pm

Right for me, left feels totes weird.

But I'm a bit of a freak with left/right stuff. Write, throw and play racquet sports left handed, kick left footed, but surf/skate natural footed, play golf/cricket and guitar right handed :crazy:

Pretty sure there has been a thread in this somewhere previously, I recall handed-ness and footed-ness being related somehow. Your natural foot is the one you put out first if you are pushed over unexpectedly - can't recall if that's the one most people rode with forward though.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Wobbler on Sat 2/Jan/16 1:19pm

Right foot forward and right handed for me

I think right handed left foot forward is "convention" but feels gammy to me
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby scatter on Sat 2/Jan/16 1:31pm

Conners wrote:But I'm a bit of a freak with left/right stuff. Write, throw and play racquet sports left handed, kick left footed, but surf/skate natural footed, play golf/cricket and guitar right handed :crazy:

Me too. I'm right-handed but I play guitar (and recorder :blush: ) left handed. Used to ride left foot forward but now ride right foot forward because of injury. Same for snowboarding/wakeboarding. Injury makes it more comfortable to ride goofy. Guess I'm lucky cos it means I can ride switch confidently.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby swtchbckr on Sat 2/Jan/16 1:42pm

right handed, left foot forward... does that mean the weight is on the 'dominant' foot??

anyone compared the size of their rear foot's calf to the forward calf?? with all this dominance, they'll be bigger right?
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby Rik on Sat 2/Jan/16 4:20pm

Conners wrote:Pretty sure there has been a thread in this somewhere previously, I recall handed-ness and footed-ness being related somehow. Your natural foot is the one you put out first if you are pushed over unexpectedly - can't recall if that's the one most people rode with forward though.

=} how-you-ride-your-bike-t126923.html
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Postby jimmi71 on Sat 2/Jan/16 4:40pm

Your dominant hand and foot are only partly related. Most people are right handed, but the number of right foot forward (goofy footers) and left foot forward (natural footers) surfers / snowboarders / skaters is much more even.

Relating it to biking, Im pretty sure that if you are a goofy footer you will prefer to coast on a bike with your right foot forward (and vica versa).

Just like writing, everyone will be either a goofy or natural footer. When surfing first started, everyone surfed with their left foot forward (it was natural), but some surfers figured out it felt weird so they changed to their right foot forward. This looked weird to everyone else so they called it goofy (as in strange) foot. Again, just like writing, you can practice lots and be ambidextrous (sp?)with riding left or right foot forward - just look at good skaters or snowboarders. My brother thought he was a goofy footed surfer for years, and he was always a bit crap. When he started snowboarding later on he decided he was a natural footer. I told him he was doing one wrong and after a while sorting it out he realised he had been surfing switch foot (wrong foot forward) all those years.

Anyway, enough rambling....
jimmi71
Member for: 2 years 7 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Sat 2/Jan/16 7:51pm

I put middle, because of the 'point your pecker' advice.
I've been trying to get to 50/50 ambi for years, outside foot back.

It's much easier than it was when I started, but when jumping or spooked I revert to natural, same as the snowboard.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby Spagllegs on Sun 3/Jan/16 8:30am

Righthanded with right foot back. I assume it started from using my dominant foot to do sweet-as skids with coaster brake on my HMX.
Spagllegs
Member for: 2 years 10 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Mon 4/Jan/16 5:23pm

[quote="swtchbckr"
anyone compared the size of their rear foot's calf to the forward calf?? with all this dominance, they'll be bigger right?[/quote]

That was one of the motivations to train up the other footedness, back leg burn is much more manageable when you can switch.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

- Latest Posts