Garmin Hrm Problems

Postby Rik on Wed 9/Dec/15 1:08pm

According to my Garmin HRM my heart appears to be stopping during races at the last track racing evening. Now either I am actually flat lining during the races or my HRM is dying.

Has anyone had problems with their HRM dropping out? I have checked the raw data and it just stops recording a heart rate whilst moving, but comes back when I stop :ib:
GCHRM.png
Rik
User avatar
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Re: Garmin Hrm Problems

Postby danose on Wed 9/Dec/15 2:08pm

Rik wrote:According to my Garmin HRM my heart appears to be stopping during races at the last track racing evening. Now either I am actually flat lining during the races or my HRM is dying.

Has anyone had problems with their HRM dropping out? I have checked the raw data and it just stops recording a heart rate whilst moving, but comes back when I stop :ib:


chest strap HRMs are renowned for droppping out due to bad contact to your skin, my old one would reliably do that tt'ing up to the kiwi. Proper conductive gel (like they use in hospitals) helps, as does making sure the strap is properly tight (trouble is that can make breathing annoyingly hard), but they can still struggle - time to upgrade to an optical wrist sensor (http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/01/mio- ... -look.html)?
Last edited by danose on Wed 9/Dec/15 2:11pm, edited 2 times in total.
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Re: Garmin Hrm Problems

Postby philstar on Wed 9/Dec/15 2:29pm

Rik wrote:According to my Garmin HRM my heart appears to be stopping during races at the last track racing evening. Now either I am actually flat lining during the races or my HRM is dying.

Has anyone had problems with their HRM dropping out? I have checked the raw data and it just stops recording a heart rate whilst moving, but comes back when I stop :ib:



I have had this problem with my polar, and found that a new battery has helped (don't skimp on the battery either, had problems with cheep batteries too (they work fine fro lights but don't cut it for transmitters)). but for the price of a polar strap (<$30) I would defiantly try that too as danose's link suggests.

what is with the speed profile?
philstar
User avatar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 7 months

Re: Garmin Hrm Problems

Postby UK_Exile on Wed 9/Dec/15 3:07pm

I've never had much luck with Garmin straps. All versions unreliable & seemed to be worse depending on shirt material type. Either reading zero, intermittently, or about 40-50bpm high for 15-30mins then settling to a reasonable value.
Have never had any issues with Sigma straps.
UK_Exile
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Re: Garmin Hrm Problems

Postby highspeedsteel on Wed 9/Dec/15 3:53pm

I have one of these
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/scos ... tical.html

It connects well and very rarely has any issues (Except when I forget to charge it).
Connects to my Garmin watch and my phone at the same time which I find handy.
highspeedsteel
Member for: 15 years 1 month

Re: Garmin Hrm Problems

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 9/Dec/15 7:43pm

Try a cotton top. If that works, you could try somehow covering the unit. It might be that the electronics in the centre are not shielded well enough against static. You could try wrapping the centre thingy in aluminium foil, covered with a bit of cloth for comfort. Or just the cotton cloth, to prevent static being generated.
Simonius_Titius
User avatar
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Re: Garmin Hrm Problems

Postby danose on Wed 9/Dec/15 9:38pm

Simonius_Titius wrote:Try a cotton top. If that works, you could try somehow covering the unit. It might be that the electronics in the centre are not shielded well enough against static. You could try wrapping the centre thingy in aluminium foil, covered with a bit of cloth for comfort. Or just the cotton cloth, to prevent static being generated.


unless rik doesn't sweat I find this hypothesis hard to swallow - maybe he should just wrap his head in tinfoil instead?
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Re: Garmin Hrm Problems

Postby Simonius_Titius on Wed 9/Dec/15 11:46pm

An early model Garmin strap / watch would show double the heart rate after passing under power lines feeding a major substation. It also went spazzy when used between a nylon fluoro vest and a bumper crop of manly chest hair.
I didn't try shielding it.
Simonius_Titius
User avatar
"The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off. - Gloria Steinem"
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Re: Garmin Hrm Problems

Postby Rik on Thu 10/Dec/15 9:11am

danose wrote:unless rik doesn't sweat


Not since this purchase =} what-did-you-buy-from-torpedo7-this-week-t126748-60.html#p2632213

I often found that the BPM readings would be a bit off until I got a bit of a sweat on.

It's all moot now because I put a packet fresh Energiser in it last night and... Nothing. put the old battery back in nothing. Power cycled everything, did sensor search about ten times, nothing. Me thinks le sender est fini :angry: (or possibly the 500 receiver, but it still picks up cadence okay)
Rik
User avatar
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Re: Garmin Hrm Problems

Postby danose on Thu 10/Dec/15 1:24pm

Rik wrote:It's all moot now because I put a packet fresh Energiser in it last night and... Nothing. put the old battery back in nothing. Power cycled everything, did sensor search about ten times, nothing. Me thinks le sender est fini :angry: (or possibly the 500 receiver, but it still picks up cadence okay)


perfect excuse to upgrade to one of the two optical ANT+ options mentioned earlier :thumbsup:
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Re: Garmin Hrm Problems

Postby wolffman1 on Thu 10/Dec/15 1:27pm

highspeedsteel wrote:I have one of these
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/05/scos ... tical.html

It connects well and very rarely has any issues (Except when I forget to charge it).
Connects to my Garmin watch and my phone at the same time which I find handy.


A riding buddy was sporting one of these this morning and is also fairly happy with it apart from it being another thing to charge everyday.

I've just picked up a wahoo one which are meant to be a bit more reliable than the Garmin strap. I may wear both for a test on the trainer and see what seems more reliable. It could be like the bloke with two watches who never knows what the real time is
wolffman1
User avatar
"Maaangooo"
Member for: 9 years 1 month

Re: Garmin Hrm Problems

Postby Rik on Thu 14/Jan/16 10:14am

danose wrote:
Rik wrote:It's all moot now because I put a packet fresh Energiser in it last night and... Nothing. put the old battery back in nothing. Power cycled everything, did sensor search about ten times, nothing. Me thinks le sender est fini :angry: (or possibly the 500 receiver, but it still picks up cadence okay)


perfect excuse to upgrade to one of the two optical ANT+ options mentioned earlier :thumbsup:


I was just about to push the button on an optical sender. When I got a response from Garmin customer support. Apart from mentioning all the things I'd already tried, the did advise washing the strap sensors to remove sweat residue. Bugger my with a broomstick, if that didn't fix it. 'Heart monitor dectected' my Garmin now beeps.

Now I'm in the awkward position of wanting an optical sender, but not needing one, :hmmm:
Rik
User avatar
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Re: Garmin Hrm Problems

Postby danose on Thu 14/Jan/16 12:21pm

Rik wrote:Now I'm in the awkward position of wanting an optical sender, but not needing one, :hmmm:


worth it just to loose that annoying constriction of the chest strap - surely better breathing will be worth 10s to the kiwi ;)
danose
User avatar
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 4 months

Re: Garmin Hrm Problems

Postby slowMTB on Thu 14/Jan/16 12:49pm

Rik wrote:According to my Garmin HRM my heart appears to be stopping during races at the last track racing evening. Now either I am actually flat lining during the races or my HRM is dying.

Has anyone had problems with their HRM dropping out? I have checked the raw data and it just stops recording a heart rate whilst moving, but comes back when I stop :ib:


Perhaps it is related to those heart stopping moments associated with track? ....

My hrm has been faultless to date, when it hits about 188 it coincides perfectly with my bodies habit of imploding :(
slowMTB
User avatar
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Cycling | Cycling Accessories | Cycling Computers + Heartrate Monitors - Latest Posts

Who is online

54 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot], rachelr, Scotty and 50 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles
  • ProBikeKit
  • Torpedo7
  • Vorb Shop