4%
Five years ago
No votes
Nah I don't ride any more mate
12%

Total voters : 26

When Was The Last Time You Did A Ride Worth Shouting About

Postby Rik on Mon 30/Nov/15 11:09pm

We all(well most) do a lot of riding, not the normal rides, but the really cool stuff.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Re: When Was The Last Time You Did A Ride Worth Shouting About

Postby znomit on Mon 30/Nov/15 11:57pm

You mean on a bike?
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby laworder on Tue 1/Dec/15 12:36am

I've been doing the Hauraki Rail Trail Thames-Waihi bit by bit on my commuter bike. I go down to Tauranga on a regular basis, and put my bike in the back, stop on the way home and do a couple of hours riding. Have now done the lot, including the Paeroa-Te Aroha and back offshoot. Did the bit from Karagahake to Wahi and back again last week. Otherwise just use the bike for commuting and local riding around where I live, enjoyable if not epic
laworder
Member for: 6 years 10 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 1/Dec/15 12:41am

Saturday. An "underground" enduro that raised money for a certain volunteer track builder. I don't even pretend to race but it was cool riding with 20 odd people:
https://www.strava.com/activities/440544296

Before that was craigieburn a week earlier. Done this ride a couple of times but this one was more fun than usual for some reason.
https://www.strava.com/activities/436981811/

Two fantastic rides within a week of each other that I think has kicked off the riding season for me. I've been slack, I'm a little unfit and I'd lost a bit of motivation to get on my bike at all. That has changed :)
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby jimmi71 on Tue 1/Dec/15 6:44am

3-4 times a year I do a ride worth shouting about. I still dont mind riding MTB tracks going round in circles in the native bush, but for me a ride worth shouting about is usually a looooong epic with great views in places I haven't been to before:

This years so far have been:
Oct 15: 100km 309 - Tapu Coroglen loop
April 15: 300km 1 day pb from North of Auckland to Kaiaua and back
Jan 15: 2 day 540km East Cape roundabout

Previous ones include: 1 day 140km Pureora Timber Trail loop, 1 day 86km Waikato River Trail, 4 day 640km East Cape double crossing.....the list goes on, and will continue to do so!
jimmi71
Member for: 2 years 7 months

Postby oldandlazy on Tue 1/Dec/15 7:50am

Sunday evening, the revamped Trickle Falls. They've taken a trail I already loved and made it fresh and even more interesting.
oldandlazy
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby kaiteri on Tue 1/Dec/15 8:50am

Wakamarina. A classic kiwi, beech forest, backcountry epic. Been four years since I last did it and was concerned about possible track damage since it's become an enduro fav. Needn't have worried - track rode better than ever. Or maybe it's because my bike's gone all enduro..
kaiteri
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Postby Trail on Tue 1/Dec/15 10:19am

oh about 3 times in the last month. Not one of them was somewhere sanctioned to ride bikes - so I aint doing no shouting about them at all... :paranoid:

Although all 3 were definitely shout worthy and in very separate locations.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby Tugboat on Tue 1/Dec/15 2:48pm

I did the Huka Steamer in Taupo on Saturday. Pretty epic ride for me these days. In the rain, with next to no training and wicked cramp in my right quad I battled through 60km of pain and suffering to finish close to, but not quite, dead last. In general it completely sucked balls and I hated my MTB at the end of it.

...I'll probably do it again next year.
Tugboat
"Bringing back the biff"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Postby slowMTB on Tue 1/Dec/15 3:05pm

Last month. Rik convinced me to hit the Port Hills on the roadie. I haven't ridden a road bike up there for 25+ years, the views were epic, the company sublime and the k's just trickled away. It was just one of those perfect days out. My daughter even braved the hills for her first time ever and made me a very proud Dad :thumbsup:

Right now I am recovering from a back injury ( it is a bar stool getting old ) but crave my next hill mission :)
slowMTB
Member for: 9 years 8 months

Postby Malcy on Tue 1/Dec/15 3:13pm

Rotorua, last weekend. (22nd or so).

10 dads, almost all of us over 40, and riding all over the hills of Rotorua. It was a bloody good time!
Malcy
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby mudguard on Tue 1/Dec/15 5:04pm

Lots.
Small trails, longer trails. Riding Craters in Taupo, Rotorua (any trails really)
Even Woodhill, they have a few new trails which are really good fun. One Night Stand in particular.
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 1/Dec/15 5:08pm

AgrAde wrote:Saturday. An "underground" enduro that raised money for a certain volunteer track builder. I don't even pretend to race but it was cool riding with 20 odd people:
https://www.strava.com/activities/440544296

jeebus, that's some puffin'! so, Throw the goat twice (two different routes?), Tommy2's, Debbie's and Alice's Restaurant, then Mooseknuckle?. Feck, i do three of those and i'm stuffed enough, but five? heesh. and at 'race' pace? bleurrgghh!!!
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 1/Dec/15 9:19pm

Order was Moose knuckle, Tommy's 2, Alice's Restaurant, Throw The Goat, Then the "bonus" stage was Yoda into Chutes and Ladders. The beer afterwards went down pretty well :D

Yoda is close enough to Goat that it triggers the goat (and t3) segment as well.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby swtchbckr on Wed 2/Dec/15 11:31am

AgrAde wrote:Order was Moose knuckle, Tommy's 2, Alice's Restaurant, Throw The Goat, Then the "bonus" stage was Yoda into Chutes and Ladders. The beer afterwards went down pretty well :D

Yoda is close enough to Goat that it triggers the goat (and t3) segment as well.

yeebus, yoda and chutes below I've not even dreamed of riding down... tooo steeeeeep... walking down to check it out was enough! everything else there is within my ability, tho bits of Alices and Mooseknuck nearly kill me every time too.
getting a bit soft in my old age (45! damnit!)

i see on your strava mappage that it's way less detailed than MapMyRide gives... :D
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Cycling - Latest Posts