2" Square Hitch On Standard Wagon?

Postby Trail on Sun 1/Nov/15 3:48pm

Hi all,

Anyone know how hard it would be to find a 2 inch square hitch towbar that I could put on the back of a wagon? Am looking at Mazda 6/Atenza type wagons to buy at the moment and will want to bike rack it and I am liking the look of the hitch mounting racks like this Yakima model http://www.yakima.co.nz/2/Products/cate ... 2/Holdup-2

If I get a 2 inch hitch then I can have the option of having 4 bikes hanging off the back...

I know there are plenty of standard towbars to fit a ball onto for these sort of wagons - is it most likely that I would have to get someone to engineer one to have a 2" square hitch or is there some possibility that I could find one around somewhere?
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: 2" Square Hitch On Standard Wagon?

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 1/Nov/15 4:19pm

Ring someone like the tow bar factory, odds on they will list one, I have seen hitch type tow bars on cars like commodores, so i'm sure you will be able to buy one for a 6/attenza
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby Dougal on Sun 1/Nov/15 8:18pm

I talked the towbar guys in Chch into making a 2" square receiver towbar for my work-car. They have to protrude a little further out normally as the spare wheel well prevents them protruding further under. I also let them cut the bumper cover to fit it higher and extend a serious brace further forwards.

It's a rock solid tow bar and I've been extremely happy with it (once I wrapped enough tape around the tongue to stop the rattle). But I never got around to making a specific bike rack for it. Nor have I got around to fitting the square receiver bar on my rover which was going to take the same bike rack. :huh:

Is the US Mazda 6 the same vehicle sold here? If so: http://www.autoanything.com/towing/Mazd ... 4294951692
Dougal
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Wobbler on Sun 1/Nov/15 9:31pm

Dougal wrote:once I wrapped enough tape around the tongue to stop the rattle

Is a pretty annoying the rattle, I've been meaning to pop mine out and deal with it but never get around to it. I've seen some americans use this sort of u bracket of thing sheet to sit between the parts to stop the rattle but I like the idea of tape instead.

(Mine is a commodore heavy duty factory option so I have no idea about getting an aftermarket one made/installed)
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Slim on Mon 2/Nov/15 7:11am

Just get a hilux, that way you won't be able to identify the tow bar rattle over the injector rattle :lol:

I've got a square receiver on the truck, don't have a rack for it just use a normal q spear.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Trail on Mon 2/Nov/15 8:50am

Yup. The hitch mount rack I am looking at fold up when there are no bikes, and fold down with bikes on - meaning you should be able to open the boot even with bikes on the rack.

Having a 2 prong dong type of rack on a towball means you have to unscrew it and take it off to get the boot open...

Will buy a car first and then figure this bit out!
Trail

Postby Trail on Mon 2/Nov/15 8:52am

Dougal wrote:I But I never got around to making a specific bike rack for it. Nor have I got around to fitting the square receiver bar on my rover which was going to take the same bike rack. :huh:

What style rack were you planning on making? I really like the North Shore Racks - but they would be rather expensive to import here.

NZ Mazda 6 is probably about the same as the US Mazda 6
Trail

Postby Dougal on Mon 2/Nov/15 9:50am

Wobbler wrote:
Dougal wrote:once I wrapped enough tape around the tongue to stop the rattle

Is a pretty annoying the rattle, I've been meaning to pop mine out and deal with it but never get around to it. I've seen some americans use this sort of u bracket of thing sheet to sit between the parts to stop the rattle but I like the idea of tape instead.

(Mine is a commodore heavy duty factory option so I have no idea about getting an aftermarket one made/installed)

I have a relatively simple plan involving welding a squarish plate with four holes around the end of the receiver tube. This is both reinforcement, anti-rattle and security. A matching plate is welded onto the 2" insert at the appropriate depth. Then you use M10 bolts in opposing corners to clamp it up tight. No rattle and no movement. You can put also put a padlock through any of the holes to easily lock the insert into the towbar.

Because the rattle and clunk is annoying. But watching a bike rack sway 3 degrees either side and trying to remember if I tightened up the rack on the ball gets really old.

Slim wrote:Just get a hilux, that way you won't be able to identify the tow bar rattle over the injector rattle :lol:

I've got a square receiver on the truck, don't have a rack for it just use a normal q spear.

I can always advance timing till my vehicles nail at idle too! I can still remember how the paint shop owners hilux on the coast sounded when cold. :crazy:

Trail wrote:What style rack were you planning on making? I really like the North Shore Racks - but they would be rather expensive to import here.

NZ Mazda 6 is probably about the same as the US Mazda 6

It was (still is I suppose) a 50mm SHS tongue, upright and cross bar with pipe spears at I think 450mm centres. The cross bar and pipe angled up a few degrees. Pretty simple design not really any different to the other home-made racks out there. But with heights, widths and offsets to fit my vehicles and bikes.

I'd look at youshopping a US built towbar over. Just beware that they have smaller square receivers in the states. I think Class 3 is the smallest in 2".
Dougal

Postby Slim on Mon 2/Nov/15 12:35pm

I like the look of the north shore racks, I have heard a couple of people say that they are really brutal on the fork crown.
Slim
Member for: 14 years 2 months

Postby Trail on Mon 2/Nov/15 12:38pm

Slim wrote:I like the look of the north shore racks, I have heard a couple of people say that they are really brutal on the fork crown.

3 weeks around Canada with one - thought it was good. May gark the paint on your fork crown a little but I did not notice anything on mine after 3 weeks.
Trail

Postby Dougal on Mon 2/Nov/15 12:48pm

Slim wrote:I like the look of the north shore racks, I have heard a couple of people say that they are really brutal on the fork crown.

Looking at this:

I'd expect it to never mark a clean crown but any dirt will be grinding into your crown finish.
Dougal

Postby Wobbler on Mon 2/Nov/15 1:19pm

Lol the insulation tape on that frame
Wobbler

Postby Trail on Mon 2/Nov/15 1:58pm

Wobbler wrote:Lol the insulation tape on that frame

But no lols for the amount of spacers?
Trail

Postby Conners on Mon 2/Nov/15 2:16pm

I'm surprised there isn't a branded Santa Cruz neoprene cover for that particular application.
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Wobbler on Mon 2/Nov/15 2:17pm

Trail wrote:

But no lols for the amount of spacers?

Nah bar height is personal preference

the tape is just spastic
Wobbler