Worlds U23 Cross-country Results: Cooper Gets Gold!

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Sat 5/Sep/15 6:59am

Small-lad-with-big-ticker Anton Cooper once again showed the world what he is capable of by taking the gold medal at today's Under-23 cross-country race in Andorra.

The weather was still wet and cold and the course was cutting up rough with many slippery roots and rocks being exposed by the constant barrage of rain and riders meaning whoever was going to take this out not only had to have a good set of legs, but also the presence of mind to keep their bike upright.

Anton went to the front early and lead a pack of four consisting of French rider Victor Koretzk, Pommie Grant Ferguson and fellow Kiwi Sam Gaze. Looking a lot like their Commonwealth Games effort a couple of years earlier Sam and Anton appeared to be pacing off each other, when Sam had a crash and unfortunately given the pace of the other three at the front couldn't manage to make it back to bridge the gap.

The race then turned into a one-on-one battle between Anton and Victor for the last two laps as they shared the front before Anton wound up his legs and managed to out-sprint the Frenchie over the last 400m.

coopwins.jpg
Photo Credit: Armin Kuestenbrueck - Cannondale Team

Sam still managed to roll across the line in a very respectable fourth place.

There were three other kiwis battling their way through the pack in the forms of Ben Oliver, Craig Oliver and Jack Compton, who all struggled with the conditions but were able to to finish, 47th, 54th and 67th respectively, which is a great effort considering the weather conditions and pace of the race!

Kate Fluker rolls off the line tomorrow at 12noon.

Connor Sandri was the best of the Junior downhillers during seeding in 14th place, Cole Lucas being the next Kiwi in 17th. The conditions are making some of the sections are real gamble at speed and times are well spread out across the board. Mud spikes and head-games will need to be sorted before race runs on Sunday night.
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Re: Worlds U23 Cross-country Results: Cooper Gets Gold!

Postby Rik on Sat 5/Sep/15 7:07am

Awesome result. Conditions looked timely grim.

World champion.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby tcr on Sat 5/Sep/15 7:34am

Awesome!
tcr
Member for: 7 years 1 month

Postby Rik on Sat 5/Sep/15 7:54am

Hey why don't we put rainbow bands on the flag. We can always change it again next year if we loose them.
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 10 years 5 months

Postby Claude on Sat 5/Sep/15 7:18pm

Assume ride by the wee man, and Sam Gaze too!
I saw a photo on the podium, and he's obviously done a bit of work on the legs - he's looking pretty big in the thighs!
Claude
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby Conners on Sat 5/Sep/15 7:27pm

So nice to see a well written news piece rather than the copy/paste press release style.

Well done team :thumbsup:
Conners
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 15 years 5 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Sat 5/Sep/15 7:28pm

Astoria Paranoia
User avatarMedal
Member for: 16 years 3 months

Postby Scotty on Sat 5/Sep/15 7:43pm

Conners wrote:So nice to see a well written news piece rather than the copy/paste press release style.

Well done team :thumbsup:

We beat all the other kiwi sports and MTB sites too...

...just saying. :blush:
Scotty
Member for: 16 years 9 months

Postby AgrAde on Sat 5/Sep/15 8:00pm

I'll never forget that scrawny kid passing me on the flying nun with his 29er hardtail, bars slammed, seat way up his arse and rock hard 2.1" tires, sideways, pedalling like a mad cunzor. You know someone's destined for great things when you say "who the hell was that?!" when they go past :lol:
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby Claude on Sat 5/Sep/15 10:59pm

He beaten me too Ade - and he was only 14 (I think) when he did it. Was a short course duathlon, and he was in front of me after the first run. I actually took a wee bit of time out of him on the bike before he ran away at the finish.
The year he won the U19 champs he did a road race in Ashburton too. His mate Alex Hooper had broken away, Anton then bridged across and the two of them stayed away. From the rest of us. Did it easy! By the book he wasn't meant to - but he wore the rainbow jersey in that race too.
Claude
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby trancemaster on Mon 14/Sep/15 5:00pm

on the day, TV3 had no action footage in their coverage of the Win on the 6pm news,

TVNZ disgracefully didnt even mention it
[ too much 3rd rate rugby, netball, golf news ...]

but I heard one tv channel did a post-win AC interview,
but cant find that on either website,
any links ?
trancemaster
Member for: 10 years 2 months

News - Latest Posts