Bike Cameras

Postby laworder on Wed 12/Aug/15 5:53pm

Am looking to get a small video cam, preferably helmet mount, after I had an "incident" with a tool in an SUV this morning.
Just want something small reasonably unobtrusive and easy to start/stop and with reasonable quality to use for commuting because I can never remember to get a number plate.

If any has any suggestions from experience of cams to get (or avoid) would appreciate that. Budget up to about $150-200 tops

Regards
Peter
laworder
User avatar
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Re: Bike Cameras

Postby Scotty on Wed 12/Aug/15 6:10pm

Sony action cams you can get on spesh for that.

They're pretty good, added bonus is you don't look like a telly-tubbie al la GoPro.
Scotty
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Re: Bike Cameras

Postby laworder on Wed 12/Aug/15 8:44pm

Thanks, will check those out, much appreciated
laworder
User avatar
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Re: Bike Cameras

Postby slidecontrol on Wed 12/Aug/15 9:01pm

check out the contour cameras too, easy to operate and versatile mounting options.
slidecontrol
User avatar
"YOLO = carpe diem for idiots"
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Re: Bike Cameras

Postby R+P+K on Wed 12/Aug/15 9:53pm

Fly6 if you want a fixed rear camera/tail light combo.
R+P+K
Member for: 7 years 11 months

Re: Bike Cameras

Postby Scotty on Thu 13/Aug/15 6:17am

slidecontrol wrote:check out the contour cameras too, easy to operate and versatile mounting options.

Can you still get them though? Last I heard they were in then out then in then out of business. :blink:
Scotty
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Re: Bike Cameras

Postby Zoom on Thu 13/Aug/15 8:19am

The Garmin Virb base model (one without GPS) should fit your budget also
Zoom
User avatar
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Re: Bike Cameras

Postby laworder on Thu 13/Aug/15 11:46am

Scotty wrote:
slidecontrol wrote:check out the contour cameras too, easy to operate and versatile mounting options.

Can you still get them though? Last I heard they were in then out then in then out of business. :blink:


Website is still functional and shows a new model too. Looks to be just what I want as well, wonder who does them here?
laworder
User avatar
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Re: Bike Cameras

Postby Conners on Thu 13/Aug/15 12:13pm

laworder wrote:
Scotty wrote:
slidecontrol wrote:check out the contour cameras too, easy to operate and versatile mounting options.

Can you still get them though? Last I heard they were in then out then in then out of business. :blink:


Website is still functional and shows a new model too. Looks to be just what I want as well, wonder who does them here?

Revolution Products used to be the agent - not sure if that is still the case (can't see them listed on their website)

I have the original version of these - which was known as the VholdR, which I could possibly be prepared to let go if you were interested? Anything new would blow it out of the water in terms of (video) quality these days - everything is recording 1080p these days and this is a standard definition model. It also doesn't have quite as wider field of view as the newer model.

I did a review of it when it was new - can check it out here.

Edit: If you're watching the youtube clip on that review thread - make sure you up the quality, mine was defaulting to 144p :crazy: . Sure, the camera's not 1080p, but its certainly better than 144p!
Conners
User avatar
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Re: Bike Cameras

Postby laworder on Thu 13/Aug/15 1:02pm

hanks for that - the agent for them now is Action Gear
They do the Contour 2 Roam for $285 a little more then I had in mind, but if its worth it....
http://www.actiongear.co.nz/online-bike ... r-roam2-2/
laworder
User avatar
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Re: Bike Cameras

Postby Scotty on Fri 14/Aug/15 8:00am

What I like about the Contours is the way they don't make you look like a teletubbie. I frickin' HATE the teletubbie thing. :hmmm:

:blush:
Scotty
User avatar
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Re: Bike Cameras

Postby laworder on Fri 14/Aug/15 10:49am

Scotty wrote:What I like about the Contours is the way they don't make you look like a teletubbie. I frickin' HATE the teletubbie thing. :hmmm:

:blush:


Yes, that is definitely a plus for me - the thing has to go on my helmet, I cant leave it on my bike as it'll get pinched there, and the size of a lot of things like the GoPros puts me off as the helmet needs to be stowed in a confined space when I'm not using it. I dont care whether I look like a teletubbie or not, its the practical considerations that make a small unobtrusive cam a requirement for me
laworder
User avatar
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Re: Bike Cameras

Postby Conners on Fri 14/Aug/15 11:02am

laworder wrote:
Scotty wrote:What I like about the Contours is the way they don't make you look like a teletubbie. I frickin' HATE the teletubbie thing. :hmmm:

:blush:


Yes, that is definitely a plus for me - the thing has to go on my helmet, I cant leave it on my bike as it'll get pinched there, and the size of a lot of things like the GoPros puts me off as the helmet needs to be stowed in a confined space when I'm not using it. I dont care whether I look like a teletubbie or not, its the practical considerations that make a small unobtrusive cam a requirement for me

AND, the way that the whole camera rotates inside the housing - so it can be mounted in any orientation and then levelled using the frikking laser beams. Whereas with a GoPro, if its mounted on the piss, then your footage is on the piss.
Conners
User avatar
"Seeing Double"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Re: Bike Cameras

Postby NickCW on Fri 14/Aug/15 11:39am

These new gopros look pretty chur, came out recently
Not sure on price but would be quite easy to tuck under a helmet visor

Image
NickCW
Member for: 9 years 5 months

Re: Bike Cameras

Postby laworder on Fri 14/Aug/15 12:04pm

NickCW wrote:These new gopros look pretty chur, came out recently
Not sure on price but would be quite easy to tuck under a helmet visor

Image


Very nice..... but $4-600 though
laworder
User avatar
Member for: 6 years 8 months

Cycle Commuting | Cycling | Sifting | Technology - Latest Posts

Who is online

47 Users browsing this website: DotBot, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 43 guests

REMEBER TO CLICK THE LINKS WHEN BUYING FROM VORB SUPPORTERS


  • ProBikeKit
  • Torpedo7
  • Vorb Shop
  • Wiggle
  • Chain Reaction Cycles
  • GT Bicycles
  • Merlin Cycles