Converting My Drivetrain To 1x10

Postby Scotty on Wed 12/Aug/15 9:35am

So I was looking at XT, which is stupidly cheap for what it is, then I got on http://www.revolutioncomponents.com/ (thanks Slim)

So I can get one of these and one of these

And have a pretty kick arse-setup. Has anyone tried any other conversion options?
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Re: Converting My Drivetrain To 1x10

Postby dwgknz on Wed 12/Aug/15 9:57am

Scotty wrote:So I was looking at XT, which is stupidly cheap for what it is, then I got on http://www.revolutioncomponents.com/ (thanks Slim)

And have a pretty kick arse-setup. Has anyone tried any other conversion options?

Have you got everything else you need or still running 3x9?

I was looking at upgrading from 3x9 this year to 1x10, but really all I have to reuse is a crank. So with that in mind was thinking (dreaming) taking the jump to 1x11 using a XT 11 speed shifter, RD, cassette and chain and a NW on my existing cranks. reckon can get sorted for less than $500, rather than $650 for the GX gruppo and an XD headache.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Postby AgrAde on Wed 12/Aug/15 11:52am

-Don't go without the 16t cog to bridge the gap(ing hole) in your cassette. I've got one with/one without and it's night and day.

-I find that the 42t gives a better step down in gearing. the 40 doesn't feel different enough from the 36. I have both.

-Shifting is compromised with the XT derailleur and a 40t ring. It's not very nice.

-The one-up rad cage fixes all shifting problems, and the shift from 36 to a one-up 42 is actually better than the shimano cassette. IMO a rad cage is a must-have.

-A 10 speed 11-42 feels compromised in the high end and I do miss the extra cog. If I was buying now, I'd go 11sp. 10 is still pretty mint though, better than 11-36 and sacrificing too much range.

-I kept bending XT derailleurs and so bought a saint. I put the SGS shimano/rad cage on it. The derailleur performs well enough that I don't need the clutch anymore. My suspension actually feels better and my shifting is nicer. I don't really like clutches anymore. I would consider loosening the clutch on the XT derailleur if I was still using it on my main bike.
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby sweep on Wed 12/Aug/15 12:42pm

I'm running a Praxis 11-40 cassette which is working fine so far with a SLX derailleur. They are available for purchase in NZ so no overseas shipping to worry about. The only minor problem is the cogs jump up 6 teeth at time for the big cogs from 24-28-34-40, I would have preferred a closer range like 26-30-34-40.
sweep
Member for: 3 years 2 months

Postby Mel on Wed 12/Aug/15 12:46pm

Scotty wrote:So I was looking at XT, which is stupidly cheap for what it is, then I got on http://www.revolutioncomponents.com/ (thanks Slim)

I have that set up, the 40t lone ranger with a premium 30T ( :blush: ) chainring. I'm also using an Absolute Black lockring to engage with the 13t cog, leaving me with no real "big" gear, but I do retain the usual steps through the cassette.

Shifting to the 40T is noticeably harder, but then it's a conscious decision to switch to "tractor" mode so I don't mind at all. Drivetrain is less clangy without the chain rattling in the front derailleur.

Haven't tried any other setups - haven't ridden this one enough to even start to wear it out. So this repl is really just a +1 vote for the Revolution Components setup. :thumbsup:
Mel
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby phunk on Wed 12/Aug/15 1:32pm

Dont.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby Zoom on Wed 12/Aug/15 1:34pm

I converted from 3 x 9 to 1 x 10 on two bikes and reused cranks.

On one I used wolf tooth components 40t with the 17t replaced with 16t and the other I used one up components (next time it will be rev products :)) One derailleur has a clutch and the other does not. I don't use a guide and have never dropped a chain. I am sure I will once there is a bit of wear on the front rings

On the hard tail I run a 34 upfront and on the fully a 32. I have a 30t, also and will put this on the fully if I was going to ride a heap of off toad hills day after day other wise 32:40 is cool for me.

I find the gear spacing a bit "wide" mid range but you do get used to it.

It is a great, easy and relatively cheap conversion. I love the relative simplicity of 1 x
Zoom
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby mudguard on Wed 12/Aug/15 5:37pm

sweep wrote:I'm running a Praxis 11-40 cassette which is working fine so far with a SLX derailleur. They are available for purchase in NZ so no overseas shipping to worry about. .

Whereabouts in NZ? Is anyone selling them online yet?
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby shmoodiver on Wed 12/Aug/15 5:46pm

phunk wrote:Dont.

This.

Shifting is compromised unless you spend a fair amount. Cassette and chain need to be fresh to get a good shift.

Just get xt 11 or keep your 2x10
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby mudguard on Wed 12/Aug/15 8:38pm

What is your current gearing? I've made my missus' bike 1x10 with a 30t and 11-36. She gets up the Rotorua trails ok. I don't think she's noticed that the left hand shifter has gone yet...
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Wed 12/Aug/15 8:54pm

mudguard wrote:
sweep wrote:I'm running a Praxis 11-40 cassette which is working fine so far with a SLX derailleur. They are available for purchase in NZ so no overseas shipping to worry about. .

There's one in Around Again Cycles in Chch.
Mr el_booto's running one and says it's mint.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby sweep on Wed 12/Aug/15 9:40pm

mudguard wrote:

I got mine from Pushbikes in Christchurch. I've also seen Praxis stuff on Chainreaction Cycles website who are based in Christchurch too.
sweep
Member for: 3 years 2 months

Postby swtchbckr on Thu 13/Aug/15 7:52am

I was on a Rev Comp 40t lone ranger and 32t front until recently. with a 16t in place of the 15 and 17. Found I can climb everything I need to, and if I cant I probably wouldn't have been able to on a 24front-34rear set up - or i just need to take a htfu pill...

Currently running a standard 11-36 rear cassette with the 32 up front and still seem to manage our steeper climbs in McVicars, when I'm warmed up or fresh enough. Doubt I'd make it up Bodybag tho, but that's nothing new, my fitness has held me off that the last few runs at it, of late.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby kavika on Thu 13/Aug/15 5:12pm

I run the one-up 42, 16t, and cage and it runs flawlessly. Will eventually convert the fat bike over too.
kavika
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby mudlover/hater on Thu 13/Aug/15 5:54pm

No experience here but I'm gonna upgrade to Zee 10speed once my current 1x9 set up dies. Am pretty keen on the Praxis cassette and 32t ring... any ballpark figures on the Praxis cassette's cost? Wasn't on chainreaction.co.nz.
mudlover/hater
"Hoh. Hoh. Hoh. Now I haf.. a machine gun."
Member for: 7 years 4 months

Cycling | Drivetrain | Mountain Biking | Workshop - Latest Posts