Talkback Tuesday: What Is #enduro? Anyway

Postby Scotty on Tue 11/Aug/15 6:52am

Isn’t enduro just riding your bike up and down hills? Like, oh I dunno… MOUNTAINBIKING?

In that case, I’ve been doing enduro for years...

Nonononono, you say: “Enduro is all about riding your bike to the top of the hill so you can ride back down fast-ish!

Again, I’m a fatass, THAT’S ALL I’VE BEEN DOING!

Another Qualifier “On a bike that can be ridden uphill AS WELL as downhill with 140-160mm of travel front and rear

Um, yup, was doing that as far back as 2003...

oldnewbullit.jpg

SO really: What is Enduro? You don’t hear people saying “I'm going for an ENDURO ride” or “I’m going ENDURO-ing” - No. That would just sound stupid, if you do hear someone saying either of the above you need to slap them, hard.

Is it a type of race?

Well, we’ve got problems there too. Some races you ride to the top and back down, other races you take a chairlift or an uplift vehicle...

...wait a sec, didn’t that last one sound like downhilling?

I quite like the idea of what enduro seems to encapsulate (I think) in that it’s going on rides with mates up and down hills on squishy bikes that you’re more than happy to huck your meat on, but to me that is, and always has been, going for a ride.

Enduro seems to be a word concocted by a bunch of electric-blue and citrus-yellow clad mountain-biking hipsters to somehow differentiate certain bikes and events for some sort of marketing purpose. The bikes have never been better in that they allow the average punter to ride without feeling limited by either up or down, but would we have got there without the word ‘enduro’? Probably.

So really: What the hell is Enduro supposed to be?

(Don't sue me Specialized, I know you like to sue people for using words and stuff you think belongs to you - In other words: Suck it Sinyard.)
nomad.jpg
This bike is blue and pink - not friggin' magenta
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Re: Talkback Tuesday: What Is #enduro? Anyway

Postby scatter on Tue 11/Aug/15 7:01am

It used to be an XC race where only the downhill sections were timed.
But it's got more and more gnar so now it's basically a DH race where you mostly have to ride your bike to the top of the hill.

One might also say it's a retirement home for has-been downhillers :sneaky:
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby swtchbckr on Tue 11/Aug/15 7:49am

scatter wrote:One might also say it's a retirement home for has-been downhillers :sneaky:

this. :D
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 9 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Tue 11/Aug/15 9:32am

It's a race format to codify and monitise the riding we've all been doing for years.
The only advantage to non-racers (me) is the R'n'D that goes with race dollars means bikes and gear more suited to the type of riding we've all been doing for years. Begone, mix of DH & XC parts to build your setup!
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby Wobbler on Tue 11/Aug/15 9:41am

The tires are my favorite bit to come out of it, being able to get some decent widths that are not all wirebead dual ply blah blah.
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 1 month

Postby Sims on Tue 11/Aug/15 10:47am

We used to race like this 20years ago; Who had the energy to race to the top? You'd save that to race down the hill.
Sims
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby NickCW on Tue 11/Aug/15 10:57am

I like how #enduro gives you a pass to be a complete dickhead when riding with mates

You can pretty much do anything, cut people off and overtake mid corner, take cheater lines etc
Just as long as you scream 'spirit of enduro' before/as it's happening nobody bats an eyelid

It's also ok to run over course marshalls, but only when #enduroing
NickCW
Member for: 9 years 7 months

Postby sweep on Tue 11/Aug/15 1:01pm

Unless you are being assisted to the top of the hill by a shuttle or lift you are going for a bike ride which maybe include riding up a hill then down a hill. If you say to your mates "shall we do some enduro riding today" chances are you'll be doing it by yourself because they will think you're a dickhead. It's only when you enter a race that the style of riding is defined and if you want to be competitive it's best to have the right tool for the job - the old horses for courses thing.

When I look at what type of bikes people are riding these days it certainly looks like they have fallen for the new buzz word or salesman's pitch. Most would have been better off purchasing a lighter shorter travel bike to suit their riding style.
sweep
Member for: 3 years 4 months

Postby dwgknz on Tue 11/Aug/15 1:13pm

#enduro is wearing goggles and an open face helmet....

Enduro-now-3.jpg

*random internet photo
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Postby dragon_style on Tue 11/Aug/15 2:12pm

Lurid coloured bike, overly wide bars, flat pedals, full face helmet, massive logo on clothing...oh no, I'm raising an enduro rider.
Screenshot 2015-08-11 14.08.51.png
dragon_style
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Tue 11/Aug/15 4:28pm

Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby wachtourak on Tue 11/Aug/15 4:44pm

It's when you buy a 160mm travel gnarcore bike but then demand everyone build "flow" trails for you to ride it on
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 11/Aug/15 5:11pm

Enduro is a race to test fitness and bike skill. Some races have more pedalling than others, some have more uplift than others. I don't know why people have a problem with this. It's also a new sport that's learning its limits and building its rules.

I don't really understand the problem with some uplift. Some DH races are won without a chain, while others are impossible. Some XC races are on the flat ground and some are on hills. Every race is different, and the organiser can do whatever they like in my opinion. Most of the big enduro events that have uplift still have big climbs and are still very big days in the saddle.

Why does it matter if it's "what you do anyway?" Wouldn't you want a race format that is similar to how you normally ride your bike? Wouldn't you want a race format where you can compete on your "do it all" bike? Wouldn't you want R&D money dumped into "do it all" bikes if that's the bike that you'd normally ride? For people like me who want a mountain bike that can hoon around an XC track in the morning and do pedal runs of a DH track in the afternoon, "enduro" is the best thing that's happened to bike development lately.

Wobbler wrote:The tires are my favorite bit to come out of it, being able to get some decent widths that are not all wirebead dual ply blah blah.

:thumbsup:

Why do you care if some people are over-biked? Sure, I've seen noobs on 165mm "developed for enduro" bikes (I call them mountain bikes) riding normal trails. I've also seen noobs on DH bikes riding gravity tracks that can be ridden on a bmx. The difference is that the noob on the "enduro" bike gets hated on because clearly they made the wrong decision when buying a bike, but the noob on the DH is just new to the sport and good for them...

So much judgement.

I'm also happy that enduro has made it okay to ride with a half shell helmet with goggles. It's not my fault that my eyes water up in about three seconds of mild breeze in the winter and I can't see the trail. Goggles are a revelation for my winter trail riding, and in the summer too if it's dusty.
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 0 months

Postby phantasim on Tue 11/Aug/15 6:16pm

AgrAde wrote:Enduro is a race to test fitness and bike skill. Some races have more pedalling than others, some have more uplift than others. I don't know why people have a problem with this. It's also a new sport that's learning its limits and building its rules.

I don't really understand the problem with some uplift. Some DH races are won without a chain, while others are impossible. Some XC races are on the flat ground and some are on hills. Every race is different, and the organiser can do whatever they like in my opinion. Most of the big enduro events that have uplift still have big climbs and are still very big days in the saddle.

Why does it matter if it's "what you do anyway?" Wouldn't you want a race format that is similar to how you normally ride your bike? Wouldn't you want a race format where you can compete on your "do it all" bike? Wouldn't you want R&D money dumped into "do it all" bikes if that's the bike that you'd normally ride? For people like me who want a mountain bike that can hoon around an XC track in the morning and do pedal runs of a DH track in the afternoon, "enduro" is the best thing that's happened to bike development lately.

Wobbler wrote:The tires are my favorite bit to come out of it, being able to get some decent widths that are not all wirebead dual ply blah blah.

:thumbsup:

Why do you care if some people are over-biked? Sure, I've seen noobs on 165mm "developed for enduro" bikes (I call them mountain bikes) riding normal trails. I've also seen noobs on DH bikes riding gravity tracks that can be ridden on a bmx. The difference is that the noob on the "enduro" bike gets hated on because clearly they made the wrong decision when buying a bike, but the noob on the DH is just new to the sport and good for them...

So much judgement.

I'm also happy that enduro has made it okay to ride with a half shell helmet with goggles. It's not my fault that my eyes water up in about three seconds of mild breeze in the winter and I can't see the trail. Goggles are a revelation for my winter trail riding, and in the summer too if it's dusty.

:withstupid: 100%

I used to race and ride a lot of Dh but with my moderately advancing years I'm now a hashtagendurofanboi(is it still enduro if I rock purple flats?), the one big factor I notice between the Dh race and the enduros that I enter is the atmosphere, the banter and comradery at the enduro races is always terrific, a bunch of mates and strangers having a laugh and doing some skids... Good times
phantasim
"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.."
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby AgrAde on Tue 11/Aug/15 6:42pm

phantasim wrote:the one big factor I notice between the Dh race and the enduros that I enter is the atmosphere, the banter and comradery at the enduro races is always terrific, a bunch of mates and strangers having a laugh and doing some skids... Good times

Yeah. I've only "raced" one enduro (In quotation marks because there was a cool looking jump on one stage that I missed, and so had to push back up again so i could hit it, I don't really have the mind for racing) and it was probably one of the more fun group rides I've been on. Well worth the entry fee for the uplift ( :D ), a solid day of riding and everyone was really happy to be there. Just a whole lot of fun.
AgrAde
Member for: 14 years 0 months

#Enduro | Cycling | Mountain Biking | News - Latest Posts