Favourite Bitz Friday: Topeak Hexus 2 Multitool

Postby Melissa_Theuriau on Fri 7/Aug/15 4:02pm

When you really want to be prepared for a day riding in the wop-wops, it really helps to have a bunch of favourite kit that works for you. For me, I carry is this:

hexus2.jpg
Hexus 2

But wait: what makes this tool so incredibly awesome? I hear you say...

Well, for a start they’ve managed to fit almost everything you need to strip the parts off your bike (except a crank bolt extractor and bottom bracket tool) into something smaller than a 10x5cm rectangle, there isn’t much you can’t do with it.

The second cool part of this tool the roadies will appreciate is how the sides of it act as tyre levers that integrate into the main body so it’s one less thing to carry.

One of these integrated sides also hides a 4mm allen bolt, which in turn acts as a handle for the integrated chain-breaker which comes with a chain hook!

Mind. Blown.

Seriously, have you ever tried to get a decent chain joined on the track without one of these things! Epic suck-failure… and yes I am aware of using snap links and whatnot, but in case you haven’t noticed a prevailing theme here - IT’S JUST ANOTHER THING TO CARRY, and forget, even if you run a de rigueur #enduro fanny-pack having stuff like this rattling around just gets old. Fast.

Screw you bike...

In case that wasn’t enough awesome for you it has a T25 Torx head for your disc rotor bolts if you’re running six-bolt and the standard array of allen keys with the often-overlooked 2.5mm bolt for your grip-collars, plus and 8mm adaptor which allows you to cinch up old-school crank-bolts. Just don’t go using it to swing off corroded bolts that have been put in place by the gods of cross-threadedness themselves, it won’t work.

In terms of durability I’ve been running one of these for nearly FIVE YEARS now and it hasn’t skipped a beat, the tyre lever plastics are starting to show their age and there’s a little bit of rounding on the allen key heads but apart from that, it is an increibly solid peice of kit.

If I had one criticism, it would be that it’s width can get a bit niggly in confined spaces, such as when you’re trying to tighten pivot bolts around wheels and your drivetrain.

Apart from that, if you don’t have one, I highly recommend you get one.
You can find out more about it on Topeak’s official site here: http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-Tools/hexus2

You can purchase it from any of these awesome Vorb affiliates (yes, we get a cut - it’s how we pay for things):

Torpedo7 - Currently NZ$31.99 (Club price)
Wiggle - Currently NZ$32.79
Chain Reaction - Currently NZ $38.99
Melissa_Theuriau
"Vorb News Reader"
Member for: 11 years 8 months

Re: Favourite Bitz Friday: Topeak Hexus Ii Multitool

Postby OliverBendix on Fri 7/Aug/15 4:11pm

Concur. My favourite multi-tool.
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 11 years 4 months

Re: Favourite Bitz Friday: Topeak Hexus 2 Multitool

Postby AgrAde on Fri 7/Aug/15 5:21pm

I also concur. Probably the best multi tool ever made. You forgot to mention the spoke wrenches it has. I wouldn't complain about the width, at least it's not a fat piece of crap with worthless stubby tools like some other brands tend to think is a good idea:
lezyne_crv_20_enhance100002.jpg
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 11 months

Postby Scotty on Fri 7/Aug/15 5:51pm

Screw that. :hmmm:

The chain breaker on the hexus is quite possibly the best one I've come across that's part of a multitool. :love:
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Postby mudguard on Fri 7/Aug/15 6:06pm

What is really odd is that I've had two of the Topeak tools and currently have the Lezyne one.

The Topeak one both the chain breakers broke, the tire levers used once and bent out of shape so they wouldn't press in to the sides anymore.
Nothing wrong with rest of the tools.
The Lezyne one is just plain annoying. Tools too short. Tool too fat, and they got loose really quickly. Plus it has an obscenely sharp saw which drops open if you look at it.

I actually have another Lezyne tool. Some Danny MacAskill one, which is nice and long. And simple. And carry a separate chain breaker.
Though no longer sold, so moot.
Mac2.jpg
mudguard
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby AgrAde on Fri 7/Aug/15 6:30pm

BBB make a good simple multi tool with long tools - T25/screwdrivers/a few allen keys. Pretty similar to the danny mac one.

I've never broken my hexus (it was given to me well used and beaten to shit back in 2010 or so) but then again it barely gets used. 99% of the wrenching happens in my garage with proper tools, in order to avoid using tools on the trail.

I maintain that with proper use of tire levers, you could almost make them out of pasta and not have a problem. Unless you're trying to put a 20" hookworm on an old triple wall BMX rim.
AgrAde

Postby scatter on Fri 7/Aug/15 6:40pm

I have a Topeak Alien that is going on 16 years old. I use it on my mtb, my road bike, even my track bike. It's been all around NZ, to Australia, to the UK and Switzerland. I loves it.
scatter
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook"
Member for: 14 years 11 months

Postby znomit on Fri 7/Aug/15 6:47pm

The Alien is my go to for travelling but the hexuses live in my seat bags.
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Trail on Fri 7/Aug/15 7:56pm

Yup. I too rock a hexus. I identified it about 10 years back as having the essentials in a small form factor. Chainbreak works well, keys are hard enough to not round easily. Is my go to.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Postby phunk on Fri 7/Aug/15 8:33pm

Im a sucker for a good multitool and it looks like a good replacement for my current setup
14389364423331808805359.jpg
phunk
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby AgrAde on Fri 7/Aug/15 9:16pm

mudguard wrote:The Lezyne one is just plain annoying. Tools too short. Tool too fat, and they got loose really quickly. Plus it has an obscenely sharp saw which drops open if you look at it.

Funny, mine rusted and seized the instant I sweated on it, now it requires wrestling. Worst multi tool ever.
AgrAde

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Fri 7/Aug/15 9:27pm

Have you tried cleaning it?
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 4 months

Postby AgrAde on Fri 7/Aug/15 9:56pm

If I cleaned it every time I sweat on it I'd be cleaning it ten times more than I currently wrestle with it.

I bring my hexus as well anyway. Even though I've lost both the tire levers, the torx fitting and the chain clip :blush:
AgrAde

Postby Wobbler on Fri 7/Aug/15 10:16pm

I have one of these

got it cheap from torpedo and threw it in the camel back, used it for a broken hanger and then the t25 when unpacking bike after travel, the short stubby allen keys fuck me off for anything more than one bolt and I dont tend to have anything get loose on rides etc so proper allen keys get used.

a fold out set of bondhus allen keys and a t25 would be just as useful for me
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby swtchbckr on Sat 8/Aug/15 8:59am

phunk wrote:Im a sucker for a good multitool and it looks like a good replacement for my current setup

But those Park Tool chain tools are THE BEST. I too carry one of those...
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 8 months

Cycling | Mountain Biking | News | Road Cycling | Tools | Workshop - Latest Posts