Noob Definition?

Postby Scotty on Wed 29/Jul/15 9:33am

Alrighty, in light of a recent thread I was thinking, how long does a person have to hang around here before they loose their noob/newbie status?

I was thinking of something of gentlemen's (yes, men, you wimminfolk, we know you're better at managing this) agreement on how long do you let people ask stupid questions without giving them too much grief before you can start giving them ol' Vorb on-two-three-four of in-jokes and smart-arse retorts.

I thought three months or six. Obviously there'll be exceptions where some newbie will get downright abusive then go for it, but the Vorbsensus can work that out.

Obviously it won't be something we're keen to police, but more a "hey, keep this in mind" kinda thing when posting replies.

LURKERS: NOW WOULD BE A PERFECT TIME TO SPEAK UP. :sneaky:
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Re: Noob Definition?

Postby Wobbler on Wed 29/Jul/15 9:38am

If someone goes to the effort of making a thread (and navigating them sweet menus to do it) then they dont deserve to be dunked on for at least a page of discussion.

assuming they are a new member (6 months) or sans many posts etc
Wobbler
Member for: 12 years 0 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 29/Jul/15 9:41am

My approach to n00b-baiting is not based around duration of service, but n00biness of writing style.
Act like a mong, get treated like a mong.
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby dwgknz on Wed 29/Jul/15 9:42am

Took about 2 years 3 months for Wobbler to stop ridiculing everything I wrote.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Postby Wobbler on Wed 29/Jul/15 9:46am

Yeah on thinking about it I'm probably the worst person to be giving advice on treating people properly on here
Wobbler

Postby Scotty on Wed 29/Jul/15 9:48am

Velocipedestrian wrote:Act like a mong, get treated like a mong.

The problem with that is, they may not be mong self-aware.

There's a few valued member of the Vorb community out there that started off like people you wanted to hit with a brick. We managed to look after them.

I mean, if someone gives a newbie a bunch of well thought-out and honest advice and they act like tools, then yeah, okay, slap them.

Then there's stuff like this... which we'd have to just.. I dunno... try to stay nice to each other?
Scotty

Postby Scotty on Wed 29/Jul/15 9:50am

they dont deserve to be dunked on for at least a page of discussion.

I like that idea...
Scotty

Postby dave_sharpe on Wed 29/Jul/15 10:43am

Didn't there used to be a ranking system, under the username? It was a good way to see (at a glance) whether the poster had contributed much to the forum. I think it may have been removed because of some sort of PC GONE MAD shit at some point, trying to treat everyone equally, etc.
dave_sharpe
Member for: 3 years 3 months

Postby Velocipedestrian on Wed 29/Jul/15 10:47am

dave_sharpe wrote:Didn't there used to be a ranking system, under the username? It was a good way to see (at a glance) whether the poster had contributed much to the forum. I think it may have been removed because of some sort of PC GONE MAD shit at some point, trying to treat everyone equally, etc.

Removed due to postwhoring?

There was a who's the biggest postwhore thread even...
Velocipedestrian
"Vorb Trophy Husband of the year 2015"
Member for: 11 years 1 month

Postby dave_sharpe on Wed 29/Jul/15 10:53am

Velocipedestrian wrote:
dave_sharpe wrote:Didn't there used to be a ranking system, under the username? It was a good way to see (at a glance) whether the poster had contributed much to the forum. I think it may have been removed because of some sort of PC GONE MAD shit at some point, trying to treat everyone equally, etc.

Yeah, there was a post counter for each user too. In the old Foundation, members* could choose their own tagline/rank, such was the level of exclusiveness afforded by The Membership. Removing the counter is prolly a good thing, but the rank was harmless enough, I thought.
dave_sharpe
Member for: 3 years 3 months

Postby Bigfoot on Wed 29/Jul/15 10:59am

Scotty wrote: people you wanted to hit with a brick.

I resemble this comment :huh:
Bigfoot
"We are the Village Green Preservation Society"
Member for: 14 years 5 months

Postby Scotty on Wed 29/Jul/15 11:14am

dave_sharpe wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:

Yeah, there was a post counter for each user too. In the old Foundation, members* could choose their own tagline/rank, such was the level of exclusiveness afforded by The Membership. Removing the counter is prolly a good thing, but the rank was harmless enough, I thought.

That might prove to be a handy function, spesh if we can balance number of posts vs. time on site.

Then we can say "take it easy on (rank) until they've sorted the place out a bit"
Scotty

Postby znomit on Wed 29/Jul/15 11:19am

dave_sharpe wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:

If you mouse over the username you see their post count. At just 24 posts I guess you haven't been around enough to figure this out. :eh:
znomit
Member for: 9 years 6 months

Postby Wobbler on Wed 29/Jul/15 11:20am

Scotty wrote:
dave_sharpe wrote:
Velocipedestrian wrote:

That might prove to be a handy function, spesh if we can balance number of posts vs. time on site.

Then we can say "take it easy on (rank) until they've sorted the place out a bit"
and we could also say "get on my rank scrub"
Wobbler

Postby dwgknz on Wed 29/Jul/15 11:23am

But isn't resilience and the ability to bounce all par the course of joining a new community.

Take Adikt as an example, hope he's ok with this, as it's his comment probably tweaked everyone's conscientious yesterday. First main interaction on Vorb was seeking advice, all above board and respectful. Comes along last week and mongs it up good in the Post Your Ride 2015 thread but bounces back and tells y'all off. I don't think the hazing is too bad around here.
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 8 months

Sifting | Vorb - Latest Posts