When? Maxxis Dhf In 2.5 3c Exo In Medium

Postby Trail on Mon 27/Jul/15 1:06pm

So I got some medium wheels... and I really like Maxxis Minions in 2.5 with an Exo single ply sidewall and the 3C tacky compound for trail riding. Good volume and grip for the weight.

These were available in 26 but I have not yet seen any in 27.5 (they have 2.3 but I like more volume). They have the double wall tacky in the 27.5 - but I really want a single wall. Anyone know when these might be available?

While I wait for Maxxis to sort their shite and start to make the specific tyre I like - what should I run on my bike? Gotta be
Lightish - no double wall.
Tacky. 60a does not cut it.
Good volume.
In medium wheel sized.
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 2 months

Re: When? Maxxis Dhf In 2.5 3c Exo In Medium

Postby NigeS on Mon 27/Jul/15 1:20pm

Hey Trail, I run a Minion 3C 2.3 in medium. Its the tubeless ready one so may have an EXO like sidewall...
From what I have seen the new Maxxis sizing is larger than the old so a new 2.3 = an old 2.5 in width and volume. I used to run the old 2.35s on small wheels and they were way skinny compared with the new.
NigeS
Member for: 13 years 2 months

Postby shmoodiver on Mon 27/Jul/15 1:28pm

Just trim the bead of s 26" 2.5 till it fits your silly middle wheel size.
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 1 month

Postby mfw on Mon 27/Jul/15 1:45pm

Just ignore the 2.x inch marketing sizing and use the ETRTO sizes for actual width (first 2 digits, in mm), as you see the 27.5X2.30 is 3mm wider than the 26X2.5.
58 quite a decent volume on a sensible sized (30mm+ inner width) rim :D

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-468-121-minion-dhf
Code: Select all
26X2.50   55/59-559   60   FOLDABLE   940   SINGLE   65   ST/EXO   Black
27.5X2.30   58-584   60   FOLDABLE   870   3C MAXX TERRA   60   3C/EXO/TR   Black
mfw
User avatarMedal
Member for: 9 years 11 months

Postby Trail on Mon 27/Jul/15 2:04pm

mfw wrote:Just ignore the 2.x inch marketing sizing and use the ETRTO sizes for actual width (first 2 digits, in mm), as you see the 27.5X2.30 is 3mm wider than the 26X2.5.
58 quite a decent volume on a sensible sized (30mm+ inner width) rim :D

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-468-121-minion-dhf
Code: Select all
26X2.50   55/59-559   60   FOLDABLE   940   SINGLE   65   ST/EXO   Black
27.5X2.30   58-584   60   FOLDABLE   870   3C MAXX TERRA   60   3C/EXO/TR   Black

Ah. Looking at the Maxxis site they have updated since I last looked. Looks like it will come in 2.4 not 2.5 which is 61mm - which is what I would like!
27.5X2.40 61-584 60 FOLDABLE 890 3C MAXX TERRA 65 3C/EXO Black

I have the HR2s in 2.3 on at the moment and want something wider, more moto tread like and stickier.
Trail

Postby wachtourak on Mon 27/Jul/15 6:02pm

Sounds like you need a Schwalbe Magic Mary then, I have just put a 26" one on the front of my bike. Comes in their "Trailstar" compound which is well sticky, though not quite 40A DH tyre style sticky perhaps. The "Snakeskin" casing one would be the equivalent of a Maxxis EXO, similar in weight (slightly lighter). Or you can get the "Super Gravity" casing which is pretty much a DH tyre, but more 1100g-ish than 1300g-ish. Super gravity also comes in the "Vertstar" compound as an option, which is like full-on DH tyre sticky.

http://www.schwalbe.com/en/offroad-read ... -mary.html

I have run the Snakeskin Schwalbes for a few years now, never cut a sidewall, never burp.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby AgrAde on Mon 27/Jul/15 6:35pm

How do you guys run these soft tires without ruining them in 5 rides? Or is that a reasonable lifespan for a tire?
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby wachtourak on Mon 27/Jul/15 7:13pm

The Schwalbe trailstar isn't super soft, seems to last OK at least on the front. Wear pretty quick on the back I suppose, but I still get a summer/winter out of them. I usually run the 60A equivalent compound on the back thouugh, except for in winter when I will switch out a half worn front onto the back or whatever (I run someting low-pro like a Rock Razor on the rear in summer).

I can imagine Chch being harder on tyres than Wellington, more rocks, probably drier on average etc

I obviously don't ride enough either.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"

Postby Wobbler on Mon 27/Jul/15 7:39pm

wachtourak wrote:I obviously don't ride enough either.

Do you wear out tires or 1x chainrings faster?
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 27/Jul/15 7:51pm

Wobbler wrote:
wachtourak wrote:I obviously don't ride enough either.

Do you wear out tires or 1x chainrings faster?

Neither.
It's the moving cable to his dropper.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby Trail on Mon 27/Jul/15 8:09pm

AgrAde wrote:How do you guys run these soft tires without ruining them in 5 rides? Or is that a reasonable lifespan for a tire?

I can easily get 6 to 9 months out of them... but where I ride makes a difference. Next to never on roads and hardly ever on gravel and not much hardpack or rocky. Mostly roots and loam... on tracks which are often technical and challenging but not so often super fast. The Maxxis 3C is also in layers - hard underneath and tacky over the top. This means the knobs tend to hold up and not rip off...
Trail

Postby Trail on Mon 27/Jul/15 8:20pm

wachtourak wrote:Sounds like you need a Schwalbe Magic Mary then, I have just put a 26" one on the front of my bike. Comes in their "Trailstar" compound which is well sticky, though not quite 40A DH tyre style sticky perhaps. The "Snakeskin" casing one would be the equivalent of a Maxxis EXO, similar in weight (slightly lighter). Or you can get the "Super Gravity" casing which is pretty much a DH tyre, but more 1100g-ish than 1300g-ish. Super gravity also comes in the "Vertstar" compound as an option, which is like full-on DH tyre sticky.

I have run the Snakeskin Schwalbes for a few years now, never cut a sidewall, never burp.

MM over a Hans Dampf? I think I had some Muddy Marys or something a while back. Seemed ok but wore really quick compared to the 3C Maxxis? Was the ooey gluey or wtf ever they called that compound.
Trail

Postby Astoria Paranoia on Mon 27/Jul/15 8:26pm

Trail wrote:This means the knobs tend to hold up and not rip off...

Do the new ones do this?

The wear on the side knobs were a worry.
60a for me.
Astoria Paranoia
Member for: 15 years 2 months

Postby wachtourak on Mon 27/Jul/15 8:35pm

Trail wrote:
wachtourak wrote:Sounds like you need a Schwalbe Magic Mary then, I have just put a 26" one on the front of my bike. Comes in their "Trailstar" compound which is well sticky, though not quite 40A DH tyre style sticky perhaps. The "Snakeskin" casing one would be the equivalent of a Maxxis EXO, similar in weight (slightly lighter). Or you can get the "Super Gravity" casing which is pretty much a DH tyre, but more 1100g-ish than 1300g-ish. Super gravity also comes in the "Vertstar" compound as an option, which is like full-on DH tyre sticky.

MM over a Hans Dampf? I think I had some Muddy Marys or something a while back. Seemed ok but wore really quick compared to the 3C Maxxis? Was the ooey gluey or wtf ever they called that compound.

Hans Dampf is a bit more an all-rounder, the Magic Mary (new Muddy Mary) is a bit more of a wet/loam tyre, it's kind a cut spike (similar to that new Maxxis Shorty, which also comes in a trail casing/size). I find the Hans Dampf to have a very predictable letting-go point which I really like, it encourages pushing it a bit and getting some sweet braaap on without falling over. I haven't really tested the Magic Mary out a lot yet but I am gonna try get out for a decent skid on it this weekend. I just thought it might be what you were looking for, it is a pretty agressive moto-looking tread.

Schwalbe changed the compounds a while back, they are all 3-compound like the Maxxis now, harder base layer, softer on the side knobs than the middle yah yah, looking at the Maxxis and Schwalbe sites, Vertstar (old equivalent would've been that Gooey Gluey one) is like the Maxxis 3C Max Grip (the DH compound) and Trailstar is like the Maxxis 3C Max Terra. I have not used Maxxis in a long time, but I find the Schwalbes wear OK. I never tried the pre-3C Schwalbes like that Gooey Gluey compond or whatever, cause they used to only offer that compound on a DH casing. I guess if you were riding every day and riding it on the road or on gravel and rocks heaps it would tear up pretty quick, but I find it a reasonable trade-off between wear and grip.
wachtourak
"IMDABES"

Postby Trail on Mon 27/Jul/15 8:38pm

Astoria Paranoia wrote:
Trail wrote:This means the knobs tend to hold up and not rip off...

Do the new ones do this?

The wear on the side knobs were a worry.
60a for me.

Yup. If riding harder pack or rocky they still do that.
Trail

Cycling | Tyres | Wheels - Latest Posts