Brevet/cross Country Bike

Postby plowe on Sun 5/Jul/15 7:21pm

I am looking at a hard tail cross country bike for general mounting biking over longer distances and brevets (probably a Scott Scale 710). I like hill climbing but am not that fit presently. Consequently I ride a lot in granny gear and was wondering how other similar riders find the 2 X 10 gear arrangement on bikes these days. I am use to 3x10 or 3x9
plowe
Member for: 6 years 10 months

Re: Brevet/cross Country Bike

Postby foremannz on Sun 5/Jul/15 7:38pm

The reality is how often do you use the big cog on the front? I like the Sram 1x11 on my bike, but its pretty pricy until the Sram GX series comes in the new bikes, then that might be worth a look as you'll have a much easier to live with bike IMO.
I suppose whats your budget to start with ...
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby pushbikerider on Sun 5/Jul/15 8:06pm

plowe wrote:I am looking at a hard tail cross country bike for general mounting biking over longer distances and brevets (probably a Scott Scale 710). I like hill climbing but am not that fit presently. Consequently I ride a lot in granny gear and was wondering how other similar riders find the 2 X 10 gear arrangement on bikes these days. I am use to 3x10 or 3x9

Remember that most 2x10 bikes will have a 36T rear large cog, were most factory 3x9 bikes will have come with a 32T large rear cog, so the difference in the low gears isn't that much.

IMHO like any bike gearing change a few months of riding and you will be very adapted to your new bike, and will get the best out of the gearing.

Although like the other poster in this thread I'm a big fan of 1.X drive trains, all of my bikes now including the one that I tend to ride longer distances on are single front ring, I rode the Kiwi Brevette this year on a 1x10 bike
pushbikerider
"Gone Riding.........."
Member for: 15 years 6 months

Postby dave_sharpe on Sun 5/Jul/15 8:10pm

There are a whole heap to choose from when it comes to carbon hardtails - I've had a couple of Santa Cruz Highballs, which are awesome. I did the Kiwi Brevet in 2012 on mine, along with racing things like Karapoti, Coppermine Epic, N-Duro stuff, local XC races, etc... a super versatile frame. I had a Niner Air9 (scandium, then carbon ones), and wouldn't recommend them over the Highball.

I have no idea if a carbon frame is any better than an aluminium one though to be honest, but they look nicer. Another thing to look at might be a nice steel frame, but each to their own. Good luck with the hunt!
dave_sharpe
Member for: 3 years 1 month

Postby UK_Exile on Mon 6/Jul/15 12:32pm

I'm keenly looking with similar requirements. Quite interested in the 27+ format. Waiting until some demos arrive in various brands
UK_Exile
Member for: 12 years 3 months

Postby tahic on Sat 25/Jul/15 12:00pm

I have bikes with all 3 gear ratios. 1x 2x and 3x
I do not really understand the 2x and it's probably just me but it doesn't make sense and I never seem to be in the correct gear and spend too much energy mucking around trying to find it. Think it's half in my head tho as i try and stay out of 'granny' hence cutting out half my range due to pig headedness. Which leads me to 1 x which should mitigate all my 2x issues but for me there are not enough gears for climbing outside of bike park type arrangements. Mine is the uber expensive and all you could get at the time XX1 and again too misery to use the 42 T much due to wear and expense of replacing cassette (this has all changed with later offerings of course and I like the simplicity and quiet so might give it another go in another guise.
For bikepacking I run a triple and as luddite as it may be it just works, enough gears all the time for all the terrain no compromise required.
tahic
Member for: 10 years 0 months

Postby swtchbckr on Sat 25/Jul/15 6:51pm

to me, I can't see any difference between 2x and 3x. I mean, in 3x do you have trouble working out which gear to be in? No? So why would it be any different in 2x? Usually what i'd do in the situation of working down through the gears as the gradient went up, i'd proceed up the cassette in the big ring to about 3rd (from the biggest on the back), then i'd drop it down the cassette 2 gears as I dropped the front into granny, then work my way up the rear again into the lowest gear. I found 2x much simpler than 3x.

I'm having issues with my 1x10 (with a 40t) set up at the moment, having just broken my 2nd 40t, even tho the most recent was supposed to be an improved design. Now, a fella on the Heaphy I met was running a 1x set up, but with a 22t (or 24t?) on the front, which, if there was a long extended climb to deal with, he'd manually shift down into that and roll on up, then once done, put it back on the 32 and be happy there. I'm about to set mine up like this, cos usually if i need granny i'm in it for the long haul (eg, Blowhard), otherwise the 32:36 low gear is plenty for most of my riding... - no alu big cog on the back to get chewed out (or break under torque) and no front derailleur. best of both worlds.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby BillB on Mon 10/Aug/15 7:19pm

plowe wrote:I am looking at a hard tail cross country bike for general mounting biking over longer distances and brevets (probably a Scott Scale 710). I like hill climbing but am not that fit presently. Consequently I ride a lot in granny gear and was wondering how other similar riders find the 2 X 10 gear arrangement on bikes these days. I am use to 3x10 or 3x9

2 x 10 is fine. So long as you have the right ratio at end end of the spectrum. I have one of mine for sale right now with that - see http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =930512795
BillB
"To finish last, first you have to finish!"
Member for: 14 years 3 months

Cycle Touring | Cycling | Mountain Biking | Sifting - Latest Posts