New Bike Advice

Postby adikt on Fri 5/Jun/15 10:34pm

Looking for a bit of advice with an upgrade for my old avanti hardtail.

Mostly ride woodhill, more plans to ride tracks further afield. Hit redwoods on occasion too, as well as Skyline gravity track.
Been back into riding the trails regularly for about 6-8mo now, and outriding the abilities of my bike. Just plain struggling to keen the back end on the ground & keep traction.

I've tested a couple - Giant Trance & Trek Fuel EX8- at woodhill, the Trek feeling a little more stable to me in the rough stuff & in the air, but the Trance climbing a bit better.

I guess I'll be looking around the $3-3.5k mark as starting point, and looking for the best kitted out options I can get at that price point, with the ability to upgrade as I go.

What would you guys recommend I have a look at/take for a spin? Full sus options please, not interested in hardtail/fatty atm.

Off the shelf + instant upgrades are definitely an option if it fits the price & gets me better kit - I have no issues getting my hands dirty doing (at least some of) the work myself.
adikt
Member for: 2 years 9 months

Re: New Bike Advice

Postby Trail on Fri 5/Jun/15 10:55pm

Both Giant and Kona are usually great deals. Depends on the sort of riding you will do most of. Woodhill you probably don't want too much travel. Redwoods - depending on what trails you are riding you may want something longer travel. Giant Trance is a pretty awesome all around bike...
Trail
"Concentrating on technique"
Member for: 9 years 3 months

Postby shmoodiver on Fri 5/Jun/15 11:55pm

+1 for the trance. Spend a bit extra and get the $4k one, its money well spent
shmoodiver
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Member for: 10 years 3 months

Postby happybaboon on Sat 6/Jun/15 3:31am

I have the 4k trance. Decent buy.
My time over I might get the 5k trance advanced 1 (? the green one)
happybaboon
"Proud owner of vorb's largest"
Member for: 15 years 10 months

Postby foremannz on Sat 6/Jun/15 6:26am

I'm another one for the Trance, any of them, I would say the green trance if you can afford it - 1x11 is so goooood :)
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby adikt on Sat 6/Jun/15 8:22am

So the Trance is definitely popular then, good to know.
I've been reading too many reviews and the internet being what it is, just about 50/50 split on nearly everything I've looked at so far!

Trail - anything specific from the Kona lineup you'd suggest I look at? Definitely keen to have a couple of different bikes to compare before opening the wallet too wide.
adikt

Postby happybaboon on Sat 6/Jun/15 3:19pm

Also the trance will feel infinity times more stable if you put a 50/60mm stem on it and superior bars.
happybaboon

Postby Kyle on Sat 6/Jun/15 3:32pm

Kona's equivalent would be a Process, either 134dl or 111. Both come already equipped with short stem and superior bars
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 14 years 9 months

Postby adikt on Sat 6/Jun/15 4:06pm

Yeah, I have 780mm carbon bars I just put on my hardtail. Taking some getting used to, but noticeably more control downhill. I also have a couple of fairly short stems sitting here somewhere - so thats not an issue.

Re the suggesting to fork out more up front to get the uprated version of the trance with 1x - would it be more worthwhile (maybe cheaper) to just go with the 2x drivetrain & slap on an upgraded one down the road a bit when the finance minister allows?

Or are there other better reasons to spend the extra $$ up front?
adikt

Postby happybaboon on Sat 6/Jun/15 4:30pm

Going up a grand gets you a crabon frame also. Changes to sram/avid X01ish stuff vs shimano SLX/XT level stuff. Whether that's an upgrade is a big debate. For the brake's it's a downgrade really.........
happybaboon

Postby phunk on Sat 6/Jun/15 4:53pm

Grab the trance sx on sale at burkes.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby foremannz on Sat 6/Jun/15 9:39pm

adikt wrote:Re the suggesting to fork out more up front to get the uprated version of the trance with 1x - would it be more worthwhile (maybe cheaper) to just go with the 2x drivetrain & slap on an upgraded one down the road a bit when the finance minister allows?
Or are there other better reasons to spend the extra $$ up front?

Theres other upgrades too - better fork, better brakes, better rims, its just better. I weighed up the same options when I bought my Reign 1, and it just made more sense to go straight to the model with the 1x11, because I was already running 1x9 on the other bike and liked the simplicity of it all, and also the rear hub is different on the non 1x11 Sram wheels, so you would probably have the expense of rebuilding/swapping rims as well. All in all I love my Reign 1, a lot of that because the gearing makes the bike simpler to ride and its a little bit lighter with less componentry which sounds good.
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 4 months

Postby adikt on Sun 7/Jun/15 10:19am

OK, I'm going out to have a look at a couple today.

Trance SX is my top pick atm, hoping somewhere local has my size in stock.
Other option I'm looking at is Kona Process 134A DL.

My question here I guess is would I be better off ordering the Trance online (if I cant find it at a decent price locally) and the find a decent LBS to fit it properly, or would the Kona be a decent alternative?

Downside of ordering online obviously being I can't thrash it today, and have to find and pay somewhere to fit it. Upside I guess would be (potentially) a better bike than the Kona?
adikt

Postby phantasim on Sun 7/Jun/15 11:39am

I've a 153DL and its an astonishingly good bike to ride so can only assume the 134 is a weapon as well, but the pricing and spec on the trance sx at burkes would have to be hard to go past for value for money I would of thought.
phantasim
"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.."
Member for: 10 years 6 months

Postby beater32 on Sun 7/Jun/15 2:24pm

I've got the 134. It's all the bike I need and it copes with a fair bit of rough stuff bloody well. The base model is better value if you plan to upgrade fork,wheels etc. It's a bit heavy. That Trance is pretty tempting though for that price..
beater32
Member for: 4 years 9 months

Bikes + Frames + Forks | Complete Bikes | Cycling | MTB Full Suspension Bikes | Mountain Biking - Latest Posts