Bike Barn Makes It To Fair Go

Postby foremannz on Thu 28/May/15 8:16am

http://tvnz.co.nz/fair-go/sale-really-h ... eo-6323425
Is it any wonder why people are buying from Wiggle ...
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Re: Bike Barn Makes It To Fair Go

Postby Wobbler on Thu 28/May/15 8:24am

LOL blaming bike barn for people buying from wiggle? Are you mentally handicapped?
Wobbler
Member for: 11 years 11 months

Postby RugbySucks on Thu 28/May/15 8:39am

Interesting that the "disgruntled employee" mentioned that NZers prices are low, for buying. Pity that the same cannot be said for parts...
RugbySucks
Member for: 9 years 9 months

Postby Scotty on Thu 28/May/15 9:11am

foremannz wrote:http://tvnz.co.nz/fair-go/sale-really-half-price-video-6323425

You're going to have to follow up that statement with some reasoning there bud. ;)
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 7 months

Postby foremannz on Thu 28/May/15 10:31am

Watch the video - they do a wide range of price comparisons, and there is a consistent price hike to everything they look at.
foremannz
Member for: 8 years 3 months

Postby phunk on Thu 28/May/15 10:40am

I love how at the very end they undermine everything they have said by pointing out that the marketing works because kiwi shoppers love to buy at discounts.

Sure its poor form to artificially inflate the RRP, but the price you pay is the price you pay.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 7 months

Postby phantasim on Thu 28/May/15 10:55am

I for one am terribly troubled knowing that my 153dl at bike barns "discounted " price works out at something like $1300usd under the merican rrp. I know there's other factors to consider but a deal is a deal.
phantasim
"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.."
Member for: 10 years 4 months

Postby Kyle on Thu 28/May/15 11:15am

foremannz wrote:Watch the video - they do a wide range of price comparisons, and there is a consistent price hike to everything they look at.

You've missed the boat.

1. BI/BRG inflated rrp = bullshit.
2. 50% off rrp sale bikes (the price 99.99% of people actually pay) = actual good value relative to world prices.

Bike barn head office has run so far down this stupid rabbit hole it doesn't know how to back out so it's just going to keep on going until it gets an almighty slap from the commerce commission.
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby AgrAde on Thu 28/May/15 5:16pm

THANK YOU BIKE BARN INFLATED RRP!

It means my insurance paid me a reasonable value for my stolen road bike, after depreciation. I have no problem with their pricing strategy :D
AgrAde
Member for: 13 years 10 months

Postby Jimmy_Rustles on Thu 28/May/15 7:09pm

foremannz wrote:http://tvnz.co.nz/fair-go/sale-really-half-price-video-6323425

Are you serious? Did you even watch the video?

The things that people buy from wiggle and the majority of the product Bike Barn sells are mutually exclusive. Bike Barn mostly sells complete bikes and sells comparatively less acessories, parts etc. People buy their parts off wiggle because other local wholesalers like to jack the wholesale price of their parts and acessories sky-high, probably in some ill-fated move to try and prop up their failing bike brands or something (brands that were failing long before Bike Barn became an industry force). When the price of the new Shimano brakes that I just bought from wiggle are still less than the wholesale price of said brakes in New Zealand, why the fuck would I bother to buy them in NZ? Why should any bike shop? If I ran a shop I'd backdoor them in off Wiggle. How the hell is that Bike Barn's problem? Whether their 50% off is dubious marketing or not is well up for debate, but to suggest they are the reason that people buy things from wiggle is utterly ludicrous and you should just stop talking, and watch the below before you make yourself look even more of a fool.

Jimmy_Rustles
Member for: 2 years 4 months

Postby Farm on Thu 28/May/15 7:27pm

I'm pretty sure as long as they are attempting to sell the goods at the undiscounted price there's not a lot the Commerce Commission can do.

People say they don't like it but moving away from that type of model was the major reason Ron Johnson lost his job as CEO of JC Penney and a stack of money.

http://business.time.com/2013/04/09/the-5-big-mistakes-that-led-to-ron-johnsons-ouster-at-jc-penney/

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702304281004579217863262940166
Farm
Member for: 11 years 5 months

Postby Kyle on Fri 29/May/15 2:53am

Farm wrote:I'm pretty sure as long as they are attempting to sell the goods at the undiscounted price there's not a lot the Commerce Commission can do.

And that is where they are going to get caught out.

Customer: I'd like to buy a Lapierre Spicy 527
Bikebarn Chump: Sure that'll be $10,999.99. Currently we are only running our half price promotion on road bikes.
Customer: wtfhaxyouandibothknowthatsbs????
Bikebarn Chump: Damn your canny hustling has bartered me down to $5499.99
Customer: Fantastic
Bikebarn Chump: And seeing as you are buying a bike we'll do any extra shit half off too.
Customer: I want a free helmet
Chump: Don't fucking push it.
Kyle
"Rated R for pervasive extreme drug use and related bizarre behavior, strong language, and brief nudity"
Member for: 14 years 7 months

Postby wachtourak on Fri 29/May/15 7:26am

RugbySucks wrote:Interesting that the "disgruntled employee" mentioned that NZers prices are low, for buying. Pity that the same cannot be said for parts...

Some parts are decently priced here, Sram stuff is very competitive when you consider economies of scale etc
wachtourak
"IMDABES"
Member for: 14 years 10 months

Postby Orphan on Mon 1/Jun/15 7:57pm

This site needs a like button. Messers Wobbler and Scotty earn on this thread.
Orphan
"I ride bicycles."
Member for: 2 years 7 months

Postby dwgknz on Mon 1/Jun/15 8:40pm

Orphan wrote:This site needs a like button. Messers Wobbler and Scotty earn on this thread.

http://www.vorb.org.nz/voting-posts-t127018.html
dwgknz
Member for: 4 years 7 months

Cycling - Latest Posts