Calendar Event: July 5, 2015

Southern Cyclocross

Postby Rik on Mon 25/May/15 9:18am

Hi, Welcome to the 2015 season of Southern 'cross!

We have set the following dates and venues (where confirmed):

24th May - Kyle Park, Hornby

14th June - Sawyers Arms Reserve

5th July - Spencer Park TBC

25th July (Saturday) - Black Estate, Waipara

16th August - TBC

Same as last year, separate MTB and cyclocross races. We will be running a kids race at each round to encourage the youngins.
Fancy Dress/Skinsuits encouraged. As is heckling and music from spectators!

The races are $20 per race OR $80 for the series of five races, a whooping saving of $20!
Bring a new rider (to the series) along and both you and the newly race for free (first race only, see me for full T & C's)

There will be two races each round this year. At 12pm the mountain bikers will start their race. This year the races are 45 mins plus one lap.
At 1pm the main event will take place as the cyclocross riders toe the line, again 45 mins plus one lap.

For those who haven't done one of our races before below is an explanation of how the "bell lap" works.
The races are 45 mins plus one lap. This means that as the leader crosses the finish line at about 45 minutes the bell will be rung, it will be rung for every other competitor after that until the winner crosses the finish line.
There is the possibility that a slower rider can cross the finish line before the leader crosses the line at the 45 minute time and the leader may then go on to pass the slower rider on the leaders last lap. When the leader crosses the finish line they are the winner and anyone crossing the finish line after then has completed the race, even if they did not hear the bell for their last lap.
Any lap begun after the winner has crossed the finish line will not be credited. We have total time elapsed as well as individual lap times so we can see if a lap was begun after the winner completed the race.

Watch a wee "best of" video about cyclocross here

That is enough reading for one post. Let me know if you have any questions.
Contact me on southerncrosscx@gmail.com or 022 061 9155
Cheers Scott
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"
Member for: 9 years 4 months

Re: Southern Cyclocross

Postby Rik on Mon 25/May/15 10:08am

Big thanks to those competitors who where running the high-line on the BMX track banking, attempting to buzz spectators feet hanging down. My kids loved it, up till that point there was constant whine from them about being, cold/bored/hungry/thursty. That game shut them up all the way to the end. :D
DSC_0541.jpg
Rik
""Cities are becoming more rational again, after the folly of car-centric planning," Colville-Andersen"

Postby Rik on Sun 14/Jun/15 7:57pm

Some photos from round 2
DSC_0561.jpg
DSC_0568.jpg
DSC_0570.jpg
DSC_0572.jpg
DSC_0576.jpg
DSC_0595.jpg
DSC_0598.jpg
DSC_0604.jpg
DSC_0616.jpg
DSC_0626.jpg
DSC_0630.jpg
DSC_0631.jpg
DSC_0632.jpg
DSC_0635.jpg
DSC_0642.jpg
DSC_0647.jpg
DSC_0648.jpg
DSC_0649.jpg
DSC_0653.jpg
DSC_0654.jpg
DSC_0657.jpg
DSC_0659.jpg
Rik

Postby Clarky on Tue 16/Jun/15 3:31pm

Thanks Rik. What a blast!
Clarky
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Rik on Wed 8/Jul/15 10:37am

Bravo to all those who endured the 'Corridor of Doom' last weekend. Having to survive a barrage of water squirted in your eyes, as well as the odd bucket dousing is not for the faint of heart.

DSC_0671.jpg
Rik

Postby Clarky on Wed 8/Jul/15 5:25pm

My kids loved it. It was a great way to get the whole family out to CX for the day.
Clarky
Member for: 15 years 0 months

Postby Claude on Wed 8/Jul/15 7:13pm

I was there for a look too - good racing! Those little sandy climbs and drop offs made for good watching. I saw a couple of riders get hit by full buckets, give the kids the opportunity to throw water around and they'll find a way to throw more!
Claude
Member for: 8 years 6 months

Postby Rik on Thu 9/Jul/15 9:05am

Clarky wrote:My kids loved it. It was a great way to get the whole family out to CX for the day.

:D The conversation in my house went something like this:

"Hey kids, wanna go to the CX?"

Various dissatisfied grumbling noises

"We can buy some water pistols, and you can spend the afternoon squirting grownups with water"

"When can we go?"
Rik

Cycling | Cyclocross - Latest Posts