Shimano Inter-7 , Sram P5, Sturmey Archer 5 Speed.

Postby bikedog on Sat 23/May/15 3:43pm

Hi,
Looking for a cheaper option than a Shimano Alfine 8 or 11. So now looking at Shimano INTER-7 or or a Sram P5. One because there cheaper, and two becuase they are just as tough but I can service them myself.

Now I just have to find a urban x-bike / commuter with trail ability ????
Not having much luck so far.
Doesn't appear to be anything produced available in NZ with an internal geared hub with less than 8-speed ?

Suggestions welcome.
bikedog
Member for: 3 years 5 months

Re: Shimano Inter-7 , Sram P5, Sturmey Archer 5 Speed.

Postby snr_merv on Sat 23/May/15 7:22pm

Just rock a cyclocross bike that takes mudguards? Get tough and ride singlespeed? Single front chainring on a basic 29er?
snr_merv
Member for: 13 years 8 months

Postby swtchbckr on Sat 23/May/15 9:20pm

how much are you getting the Inter7 or sram 5spd for??? and where from?

I built up an Alfine 8spd wheel a couple years back and it was less than $400 for everything i needed... still seems about that from the occasional peer i take at them through the various sources on the interweb... and tardme often sees an alfine wheel for sale for reasonable value.
swtchbckr
"Freakin' Mellonfarmer"
Member for: 12 years 7 months

Postby OliverBendix on Sat 23/May/15 11:07pm

Pompetamine frame? Cyclocross/urban type bike which is made for hub gear and disks.
OliverBendix
"Punter"
Member for: 11 years 2 months

Postby bikedog on Sun 24/May/15 9:55am

Don't think I'm ready to start building my own bike. Prefer to buy something off the rack that works rather than make a mess out of some parts. I don't have money to waste on experimenting if you know what I mean.

I listed the subject internal geared hubs as they are apparently cheaper than the 8 speed jobs, which appear to be the next level up. Don't think I'll need such fancy stuff, not at their price.
bikedog
Member for: 3 years 5 months

Postby ChumlyPogward on Sun 24/May/15 12:06pm

I got a fully built up wheel with a P5 in it from Reiker Cycles down south, was pretty cheap.

TBH I don't rate the P5, they are pretty solid, but the shift mech hangs out the side of the hub and is not very robust, fails and stays in a low gear all the time. It is not a big hassle to pull off the mech and jiggle it, just a pain. They also needs a bit of a back pedal to shift cleanly.

The Alfine 8 is far far superior, but not without it's issues. I find 4th gear way harsher and more draggy than all the others, to the point where 5th is actually easier to push. Overall it is a little more draggy than the derraileur setup on my Surly Disc Trucker, but for city commuting it is probably the best option, you can always start in 1st no matter how you had to stop.

Edit; the P5 was a doddle to pull apart, with the Alfine I got to the point of removing the main assembly from the shell and decided to drink beer instead.
ChumlyPogward
Member for: 6 years 6 months

Cycling | Cyclocross - Latest Posts