New Generation Hrm/gps Units

Postby Scotty on Fri 15/May/15 3:18pm

The ones that no longer require chest straps. Like the Fitbit, Garmin Vivofit and TomTom units?

Are they any good?

I'm mentally having trouble dealing with the fact I no longer need to strap something around my chest to get an accurate heart rate reading. Does anyone have one to compare to their old type of heart rate monitor?

I'm quite keen on the likes of a Tomtom multisport watch but I'd like to hear some feedback from New Zealand users first.

The other but I'm interested in is how good is the gps units are on them.

Has anyone got one that they can offer some feedback on?
Scotty
Member for: 15 years 9 months

Re: New Generation Hrm/gps Units

Postby philstar on Sat 16/May/15 5:39pm

I got one of these pulse oximeters from ali express

not suitable for exercise, but accurately reads pulse and O2 (calibrated against the (pulse oxcimeter) machine at the hospital where I work)

this article implies that the wrist monitors are not up to scratch
philstar
"misanthropic"
Member for: 11 years 9 months

Postby Scotty on Sun 17/May/15 7:47am

That's a handy article. Thanks. :)
Scotty

Postby phunk on Sun 17/May/15 9:16am

I was quite keen on the gps/hr ones, but at $350 you can buy a smartphone and chest strap for cheaper and its more accurate.
phunk
Member for: 13 years 9 months

Postby highspeedsteel on Sun 17/May/15 9:17am

I have one of these, http://www.scosche.com/rhythm+ Not quite an all in one, but an optical HRM that straps around your arm. I find it just as acurate as the chest strap I have for my garmin watch.
I suspect that a fully intergrated unit should be fine. Check out http://www.dcrainmaker.com/ He tests heaps and has way more data then you really need to make a decision.
highspeedsteel
Member for: 15 years 3 months

Postby Scotty on Sun 17/May/15 2:52pm

phunk wrote:I was quite keen on the gps/hr ones, but at $350 you can buy a smartphone and chest strap for cheaper and its more accurate.

On that note, does anyone make ant+ capable phones anymore? :blink:
Scotty

Postby mark2c on Sun 17/May/15 3:41pm

The chest strap jobbies are still the best battery consumption wise.
mark2c
Member for: 10 years 7 months

Postby danose on Sun 17/May/15 6:26pm

mark2c wrote:The chest strap jobbies are still the best battery consumption wise.

and a lot more consistent - have a look on dcrainmaker, generally the optical (strapless) ones suffer random dropouts/spikes a lot more than chest strap ones.

not that I really see the point of a hrm anyway, 'zone' training is so last decade
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby danose on Sun 17/May/15 6:37pm

Scotty wrote:I'm quite keen on the likes of a Tomtom multisport watch but I'd like to hear some feedback from New Zealand users first.

quite an old/dated design now, and they're bit of an odd shape (watch wraps around your wrist on one side) so make sure you try before buying.

Personally if I wanted a full multisport watch I'd be looking at the garmin fenix3 or suunto ambit3 instead - superior in every aspect. Even the old fenix2 (available cheap on runout) would beat the pants off the tomtom I reckon

The other but I'm interested in is how good is the gps units are on them.

don't know about the tomtom multi, but I had a nike+/tomtom (model before tomtom went solo) and it was pretty good in terms of fix accuracy, could get a bit erratic in deep sided valleys but my proper garmin handheld could struggle there too.

I've replaced the nike with a vivoactive now (only use it for running so didn't want to pay for a pile of extra features I don't need on the fenix3), gps is definitely better, get a lock in seconds rather than minutes, and comparing running the same course between watches it generally seems to maintain better lock (probably down to it being able to use both the gps and glonass signals - so will generally have more satellites visible == better accuracy). Only thing I don't like is you can't change the log frequency, it's ok (just) for running, would be nice to be able to choose the frequency same as on the handheld (hopefully the may add that in a firmware update, the vivoactive is very new and the firmware is still a work in progress)
danose
"I've never met a hill I didn't like"
Member for: 13 years 6 months

Postby NordieBoy on Sun 24/May/15 8:31pm

Scotty wrote:
phunk wrote:I was quite keen on the gps/hr ones, but at $350 you can buy a smartphone and chest strap for cheaper and its more accurate.

On that note, does anyone make ant+ capable phones anymore? :blink:

Samsung at least.
My Sony does too (Xperia Active).
NordieBoy
Member for: 10 years 10 months

Cycling | Cycling Accessories | Cycling Computers + Heartrate Monitors - Latest Posts